Several basic questions about OMFS Externship??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Brownies

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'll be starting my first omfs externship next month and wanted to know a few things.

1) when they ask you to wear scrubs, is it acceptable to wear scrubs that ur own dental school gave you, with your dental schools name and ur name on them? Would this be a problem since your externing at a different institution? If so, what color scrubs should one wear?
2) are u expected to wear ur white coat when ur externing? Obviously not in the OR, but everywhere else?
3) how were your experiences extending and what advice would u like to give?
4) I read that people suggested I bring the maxwell medical references and the pharmacopia pocket size versions. Are thee suppose to be in my white coat pocket at all times? How often did you guys use these?

I also read that you should have tongue depressors and gauze in your pocket? Isn't this Unsterile? How does this work?

5) did u have to present at your externship? How did that go?

Sorry if my questions seems too obvious and thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

1. You will be issued scrubs wherever you go, but show up in business casual.
2. Bring your white coat, some programs wear them rounding, conference, etc. pay attention to what the residents are doing, wearing, etc. and model that
3. Ask thoughtful questions at the right time - not during a stressful part of a procedure or with an awake patient. Be the first to show and last to leave. Always have light, tongue blades, CTA ready to go. Never one up a fellow extern or resident. If you do not know something just admit to it and say you will look it up. I am not sure why this has to be even said but some dental students come to externships cocky and arrogant - there is absolutely no place for this and it guarantees being disliked. Thank attendings/residents for constructive criticism. The hardest part of being an extern is how comfortable to be with the residents, you want to show you actually have a personality but you don't want to offend anyone - residents joke around a lot with each other DO NOT join in on this at the expesene of another resident.
4. Secrets is good
5. I would say presenting is rare at externships

A guy I went to dental school with brought a USMLE Step 3 (yes, step 3) book with him on externships... don't do that

Definitely procure hospital scrubs. Some places (including my hospital) do not allow outside issued scrubs

If you have a short coat AND a long coat (my dental schciol gave us long coats when we entered 3rd year) wear the short coat

Be willing to do whatever the residents ask, be excited to be there, never say no to anything, offer to take call as much as you can physically tolerate.