Sexual Assault in WVSOM

Started by AlabamaPop
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

It's almost as though sexual assaults can happen on any campus regardless of prestige.

Free spin tip for WVCOM for the monthly newsletter: "Huffington Post recently included our college on the same list the featured such names as Harvard and Princeton."

Lol. Nice!

Edit: not that this is at all a laughing matter. I'm kind of interested to see why each school on the list was included.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow, that is seriously not some good press. Surprised to see no other graduate institutions, although they may have been grouped as part of the university.

I really hope some good will come out of this. Sexual assault is not okay and is widely underreported. I feel really bad for the victims here, especially because the system failed them instead of serving justice.
 
Apparently this is fairly common for institutions to "mishandle" these types of situations. I would imagine there is a cookie cutter way of handling it so it would definitely make it difficult, but again not really an excuse. This is also the first time they are making this lists available.
 
Shoot I put this over in the pre osteo side and no one even commented.

My thought is that this happens at a lot of campuses, the one listed are just the ones with students brave enough and knowledgeable enough to file a lawsuit.

My money is on a whole wave of schools being under investigation sometime soon.
 
Shoot I put this over in the pre osteo side and no one even commented.

My thought is that this happens at a lot of campuses, the one listed are just the ones with students brave enough and knowledgeable enough to file a lawsuit.

My money is on a whole wave of schools being under investigation sometime soon.

No no, it's just a bunch of girls who regretted their decisions the night before. No need to inconvenience the administration or anything. This is why we don't need feminism any more!

In case not obvious, DRIPPING WITH SARCASM.
 
I know Lewisburg is probably a pretty boring little place with not a lot of other things to do, but COME ON, people...

Joking aside, if I understand it correctly this isn't a list of schools with a sexual assault problem in terms of incidence, but in the way they respond to it. Responding quickly to sexual assault accusations, proper reporting of the events, counseling and other services for victims, etc. Even if a school doesn't have a ton of sexual assaults, they can do a really terrible job of dealing with the ones that do happen.
 
I think incidence and improper handling kind of go hand in hand though. If people know they can get away with it....
 
I think incidence and improper handling kind of go hand in hand though. If people know they can get away with it....
Good point. Improper handling certainly creates a culture where sexual assault isn't taken seriously. If the administration doesn't take it seriously, why would a potential perpetrator?

So you're saying most rapes and sexual assaults are premeditated? I doubt that's the case.
 
So you're saying most rapes and sexual assaults are premeditated? I doubt that's the case.
That's not the point I got from their posts. I'll let them speak for themselves, but it seems that a strong outreach and high awareness of the issue may come to mind in an individual in the split second where they decide whether or not to engage in the activity. The hope would be that a knowledge of the consequences for both the perpetrator and victim may help steer the individual away from deciding to sexually assault someone. Whether that's days, minutes, or seconds in advance of the opportunity isn't as important as the fact that it helped save an individual from that experience.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's not the point I got from their posts. I'll let them speak for themselves, but it seems that a strong outreach and high awareness of the issue may come to mind in an individual in the split second where they decide whether or not to engage in the activity. The hope would be that a knowledge of the consequences for both the perpetrator and victim may help steer the individual away from deciding to sexually assault someone. Whether that's days, minutes, or seconds in advance of the opportunity isn't as important as the fact that it helped save an individual from that experience.

The argument here seems similar to the argument to ban guns because guns kill people. Criminals are going to be criminals even if there are extensive laws and severe consequences in place. Furthermore, people are going to make impulsive decisions despite the consequences.. that's human nature in many cases.

Non-criminals will probably think twice about planning a rape/assault if there are better systems in place to catch perpetrators (an extreme example is omnipresent surveillance), but such systems likely wouldn't prevent impulsive decisions or drug/alcohol influenced decisions.. which I assume make up the majority of sexual assaults.
 
It, WVSOM, is included in a "list of colleges and universities under federal Title IX investigation".

Assault of every kind knows no address.

Best
 
WVSOM is a state school. (A previous sexual harassment lawsuit was settled for $90K and the harasser was fired. But this case seems more serious.)
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: hse
Why on earth are school administrators "conducting their own investigation"?

I have yet to meet a school administrator that can even do 50% of their actual own job, why are they playing detective here?
 
WVSOM is a HORRIBLE school - I don't think anyone should go to this school. Everyone may seem nice outside but they really don't care about students and they are overpriced. You are stuck in Lewisburg for 2 years which is awful and then you are stuck in WV for third year. I feel bad for student who had to go through process at this school - school is trying to protect their ass.
 
WVSOM is a HORRIBLE school - I don't think anyone should go to this school. Everyone may seem nice outside but they really don't care about students and they are overpriced. You are stuck in Lewisburg for 2 years which is awful and then you are stuck in WV for third year.

Not to mention the rape.
 
WVSOM is a HORRIBLE school - I don't think anyone should go to this school. Everyone may seem nice outside but they really don't care about students and they are overpriced. You are stuck in Lewisburg for 2 years which is awful and then you are stuck in WV for third year. I feel bad for student who had to go through process at this school - school is trying to protect their ass.
Really surprised considering WVSOM has been around for 40 years now, and being a public school it still doesn't have the reputation all other public DO schools carry. Do they not get enough funding from the state government? Or the administration is just atrocious?
 
WVSOM is a HORRIBLE school - I don't think anyone should go to this school. Everyone may seem nice outside but they really don't care about students and they are overpriced. You are stuck in Lewisburg for 2 years which is awful and then you are stuck in WV for third year. I feel bad for student who had to go through process at this school - school is trying to protect their ass.
I've always kind of wondered why WVSOM has about the lowest admissions averages of any DO school.

Not that those have any correlation with med school performance, but that is sometimes a red flag.
 
Last edited:
The articles really concern me. The first lie is that the school would cooperate-then everything is being stalled (as expected). The Dept of Ed isn't the strongest arm of the government, but they handle funds. They really should just cut their funds off for awhile until they get results.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad