Sexuality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Van Helsing

I'm already skeptical.
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question more so for medical students and residents..

Will joining an LGBT club in university result in consequence when applying to medical schools?

I would like to join a club when I transfer to university, but I am afraid that medical schools might discriminate.
Do any other people in here have experience with interviewing and this subject coming up?

Members don't see this ad.

No homos in med school

Lol..you will be fine, and if not we'll then **** them. Just be yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Discrimination for sexual orientation/gender identity is illegal, and even if they reject you for "other reasons," that's not a school you want to attend anyway.

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ideally, med schools should be proactive in recruiting applicants from the LGBT community. I'm sure there are some who actually do it. I think there have been threads about this in the past.

Reactions: 1 users
1) some schools will seek to increase the diversity of the student body by making note of strong applicants who self-identify as LGBT.

2) if you fear discrimination, you are under no obligation to list that you belonged to a club that would identify your sexual orientation, political leanings, faith community, etc. No one is required to account for every minute of every day.

Be true to yourself and things will work out.

Reactions: 17 users
Discrimination for sexual orientation/gender identity is illegal, and even if they reject you for "other reasons," that's not a school you want to attend anyway.

I'm not aware of any federal or nationwide protections for LGBT individuals. Certainly some schools have that in their non-discriminatory statements, but those are not the majority.

Anyway OP, you may selectively disclose your LGBT related activities to some schools but not others through the secondary applications.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not aware of any federal or nationwide protections for LGBT individuals. Certainly some schools have that in their non-discriminatory statements, but those are not the majority.

Anyway OP, you may selectively disclose your LGBT related activities to some schools but not others through the secondary applications.

From my school's discrimination policy: "In addition, any form of discriminatory behavior or harassment based on one's gender or sexual orientation is also a violation of University policy as well as federal, state, and local laws"

It's a moot point though because no school is ever going to admit to rejecting someone for their sexual orientation (they'll find another reason, if even asked).

Thanks; I think I've made my decision. I'm joining.

Reactions: 10 users
In today's climate, your LGBT identity will only improve your admissions chances, for most schools.

Maybe it will be an issues with LUCOM and Loma Linda, but for other medical schools, the answer is no.

Just have to add that always consider geography when considering a medical school. the schools themselves might be welcoming, but the local communities may not. For this reason, I recommend to my gay advisees that they view schools in rural areas with caution.

Will joining an LGBT club in university result in consequence when applying to medical schools?

I would like to join a club when I transfer to university, but I am afraid that medical schools might discriminate.
Do any other people in here have experience with interviewing and this subject coming up?

Reactions: 6 users
Maybe it will be an issues with LUCOM and Loma Linda, but for other medical schools, the answer is no.

Just have to add that always consider geography when considering a medical school. the schools themselves might be welcoming, but the local communities may not. For this reason, I recommend to my gay advisees that they view schools in rural areas with caution.
? LOMA LINDA IS HOMPHOBIC ?

? LOMA LINDA IS HOMPHOBIC ?

1. homophobic doesn't apply to people just because they have religious opinions on the topic

2. did you not know they were a conservative seventh day adventist affiliated school or do you not know much about seventh day adventists? (this is not sarcastic)

The short answer is no, although the long answer is a bit of "it's complicated." I'm not an LGBT person so I can't comment on the experience personally, but there will obviously be plenty of schools that welcome that kind of diversity while others may be less enthusiastic about it. At my institution, for example, there's an LGBT medical student group that approaches issues about the LGBT population in the context of providing medical care.

I'd encourage you to just be honest about yourself and let the chips fall where they may. After all, do you want to be at a school that might reject you because of your sexual orientation? Think of it as a screen of sorts; you probably wouldn't want to end up at a school that wouldn't welcome you with open arms.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1. homophobic doesn't apply to people just because they have religious opinions on the topic

2. did you not know they were a conservative seventh day adventist affiliated school or do you not know much about seventh day adventists? (this is not sarcastic)
Was not ware of their religious affiliation, don't really know the school at all, but Goro's post caught my attention.

Was not ware of their religious affiliation, don't really know the school at all, but Goro's post caught my attention.

that's fair...

LUCOM is liberty's school (jerry falwell)
loma linda is seventh day adventist
marion is catholic
william carey and campbell are baptist affiliated

they all obviously have laws guiding their behavior but some are going to be more professional than others....for instance, a lot of people have concerns about lucom but they just got started, so we'll see

that's fair...

marion is catholic

they all obviously have laws guiding their behavior but some are going to be more professional than others....for instance, a lot of people have concerns about lucom but they just got started, so we'll see

Ya ! Personally I am Pro-equality, but I also believe that private schools and religious organizations should have the right to exclude those that do not follow their doctrines, and likewise with some many options out-there, LGBTQ students should not go trough the headache of applying to places that they might not be happy!

Ya ! Personally I am Pro-equality, but I also believe that private schools and religious organizations should have the right to exclude those that do not follow their doctrines, and likewise with some many options out-there, LGBTQ students should not go trough the headache of applying to places that they might not be happy!
It would be dangerous because everyone or every institution will invent a doctrine and argues that anything will interfere with that doctrine... But I agree that people should save themselves some headaches and be part of institutions that welcome them...

that's fair...

marion is catholic

I am an atheist; I don't think I would identify with those schools anyways, Well, I would try to if somehow they ended up being my only options.

At first, it annoyed me that you said schools should have the right to reject someone based on sexual orientation. But you're right. Attending schools with strong religious implications isn't a place I would want to be anyways..

Reactions: 1 user
I am an atheist; I don't think I would identify with those schools anyways, Well, I would try to if somehow they ended up being my only options.

I attend one of them (full disclosure on the following opinions, I'm christian) and religion does not come up on a daily basis and they don't get involved in our personal lives with the exception of the universal "professionalism" of not posting partying on social media. But they do have religious aspects come up when we do the large ceremonies with the university at large. Our convocation/white coat etc. At those there is almost always a prayer and when the president speaks (a baptist preacher for years before academia) religious references happen. So, at least at my school, if you can handle hearing religious things for a few hours a year....it all works out

I attend one of them (full disclosure on the following opinions, I'm christian) and religion does not come up on a daily basis and they don't get involved in our personal lives with the exception of the universal "professionalism" of not posting partying on social media. But they do have religious aspects come up when we do the large ceremonies with the university at large. Our convocation/white coat etc. At those there is almost always a prayer and when the president speaks (a baptist preacher for years before academia) religious references happen. So, at least at my school, if you can handle hearing religious things for a few hours a year....it all works out
That is a tolerable trade-0ff.
Do you have many non-christian friends attending? Did your faith come up in your interview (I realize its not supposed to)?
Are there any advantages, in your opinion, for going to a religious oriented medical school?

From what I have heard from students, in spite of the religious nature of the school and it's origin, there are more people that fit LGBTQ category than one would initially think at LUCOM. Now, do they have a LGBTQ club? I am guessing, probably not. If that is important to you, then you have to consider it.

That's true, but it doesn't necessarily mean the student will feel comfortable there. I think you have to try to get a feel for the school environment, and try to sense out if it is right for you.

Also, it's like the age thing. They may not list it as an issue, but there can be other pre-text and you would be hard-pressed to find them, b/c of all the competitive factors for obtaining a seat in any medical school. So, other than the comfort factor, I wouldn't worry about it. Anyone can be passed over b/c there are only so many seats. Why fret about it? Make your best app and go from there.

From what I have heard from students, in spite of the religious nature of the school and it's origin, there are more people that fit LGBTQ category there than one would initially think at LUCOM. Now, do they have a LGBTQ club, I am guessing, probably not. If that is important to you, then you have to consider it.

That's true, but it doesn't necessarily mean the student will feel comfortable there. I think you have to try to get a feel for the school environment, and try to sense out if it is right for you.

Also, it's like the age thing. They may not list it as an issue, but there can be other pre-text and you would be hard-pressed to find them, b/c of all the competitive factors for obtaining a seat in any medical school. So, other than the comfort factor, I wouldn't worry about it. Anyone can be passed over b/c there are only so many seats. Why fret about it? Make your best app and go from there.
Random question here. Are you a physician or a medical student? I am just curious.
OK I will do that thankee.

If your personal beliefs or philosophy aligns with the school's mission.... there's one right there.

Are there any advantages, in your opinion, for going to a religious oriented medical school?[/QUOTE]

That is a tolerable trade-0ff.
Do you have many non-christian friends attending? Did your faith come up in your interview (I realize its not supposed to)?
Are there any advantages, in your opinion, for going to a religious oriented medical school?

A lot of my friends are atheist/agnostic here

my religion did come up, but only because I brought it up....one faculty interviewer specifically mentioned they didn't share my faith (in a very polite way to demonstrate that all beliefs were welcome) and I still got in...the dean has mentioned before that he has never asked a faculty member about their beliefs in interview. The dean has said multiple times that we are a non-sectarian medical school attached to a baptist university

the (imagined) advantage for me here is that I'm unlikely to be berated for being pro-life at a school with such heavy baptist affiliation although I don't know how much of an issue that is at other places though......but as I said, religion doesn't come up with the exception of a few hours a semester

I wasn't explicitly out in my applications but I included my work with LGBTQ organizations and was never questioned about it. I did ask about LGBTQ friendliness at my interview for the school I'm attending and I think they figured it out so to speak lol.

I just want to echo that if a school rejects you because of your sexual orientation that's probably not a school you would want to attend anyways.

From my school's discrimination policy: "In addition, any form of discriminatory behavior or harassment based on one's gender or sexual orientation is also a violation of University policy as well as federal, state, and local laws"

It's a moot point though because no school is ever going to admit to rejecting someone for their sexual orientation (they'll find another reason, if even asked).

Like you said, this is your individual school + whatever state/local laws are on the books. There are zero explicit federal protections around this (I don't think a lot of people get that this is still the case). It's not really moot because a rejection that you would not have gotten otherwise is still a rejection, even if you aren't sure of the cause.

Here's a cool map for reference: https://www.aclu.org/maps/non-discrimination-laws-state-state-information-map

That said, lots of schools are fine with it and OP shouldn't worry about it. Even if states have no nondiscrimination ordinances, that doesn't mean all of the schools will practice any kind of discrimination. You should really just do what you want to do and it will all come out fine as long as the rest of your app is good.

ps, I'm an MS2 and I had lots of LGBT stuff on my application, got in at my top choice.

Random question here. Are you a physician or a medical student? I am just curious.
OK I will do that thankee.

Not yet. . . I am an RNs and am working on becoming a MS.

Truth is, I really don't think any school will out and out state that as a reason for rejection. Who would want the bad press and legal stress? So, I think you probably will not hear that. Perhaps there are some that feel this way. I think aerospace thought there was a problem in this regard. She could give you some insight. But I have had students tell me about LUCOM--at least from their experiences in undergrad, and there were people from the LGBTQ community attending and graduating. A school would have to be stupid to even imply this or even something like age as reason for rejection--just like for race, etc. If it does happen, I am pretty sure there will be some other reason listed.

Again, don't fret about it. If you have a strong application, you are bound to get into medical school at some point.

Last edited:
I just want to echo that if a school rejects you because of your sexual orientation that's probably not a school you would want to attend anyways.

Being "of a certain age" I remember when sentiments like these were used frequently in the context of racial discrimination -- country clubs and such. While true and all (racists are no more pleasant to be around than homophobes), even voluntary 'segregation' allows the problem to linger more than it otherwise would, and that's a shame. It's only by interacting closely with those of other races, ethnicities and orientations that we truly get to know them as terrific people first, 'label' second.

So my take: Be out, be proud. Be as visibly gay (whatever that means to you) or as gender-conforming as you like and let the last few gasps of homophobia sputter off into the sunset.

Reactions: 6 users
Being "of a certain age" I remember when sentiments like these were used frequently in the context of racial discrimination -- country clubs and such. While true and all (racists are no more pleasant to be around than homophobes), even voluntary 'segregation' allows the problem to linger more than it otherwise would, and that's a shame. It's only by interacting closely with those of other races, ethnicities and orientations that we truly get to know them as terrific people first, 'label' second.

So my take: Be out, be proud. Be as visibly gay (whatever that means to you) or as gender-conforming as you like and let the last few gasps of homophobia sputter off into the sunset.
I regret not being completely out in my application for whatever it's worth. Yes, part of getting into medical school is playing the game, but don't compromise your own ethics in order to do so.

I totally get your point. I've been completely out in a lot completely homophobic environments and I feel as though it's very important to do for the community as whole, but it's also exhausting. I wouldn't blame anyone for chosing to spend 4 extremely stressful years in a place they know they will be comfortable. For those willing to be out and proud in the more religious and conservative schools.... i owe you a beer

I'll buy round 2 --

I can handle hearing religious things for a few hours a year, but I would rather not be affiliated with the voices saying them. In general, I would rather be slapped than participate in a prayer, though I typically would not advertise that fact to the people praying - I don't want to offend them intentionally just because they are offending me unintentionally.

Similarly, I understand that 'bless you' and whatnot are mere niceties in our language and are meant well, but their very presence indicates the extent to which a religion which I strongly identify against has permeated our culture and serves as a frequent reminder of the fact that people often try to make policies to impose the values of that religion upon me. So while I can deal with them and accept the intent, I prefer to point out that they make me uncomfortable and offer alternatives.

Cincinnati told someone at interview day that they actively seek to increase diversity and included this in their discussion.

Cincinnati told someone at interview day that they actively seek to increase diversity and included this in their discussion.
Thanks bae; looks like it might not be so detrimental after all muhahaha.

Last edited:
if anything it is an advantage because it's "diverse"... if I could go back and do it again I would seek out some homosexual activities
You can seek those out with me baby.
Just kidding.
Are you saying you identify as LGBT in some way or that you would just get involved because it is different?

You can seek those out with me baby.
Just kidding.
Are you saying you identify as LGBT in some way or that you would just get involved because it is different?

Last edited:

Yeah I went to Cinci's 2-day Diversity Day interview, with the first day being all about their diverse student body and what they offer.
They're also an affirmative action institution.

haha I am saying that with 10,000 applicants, getting involved with anything that makes you stand out/different/tolerantofothers/whatever is worth getting involved in as it makes you stand out..
Word..
If only I could be a black female and gay. INSTANT ADMISSION lol.

No one gets a free pass in this process.

Being an atheist can negatively affect you almost anywhere, I'm afraid. Hemant Mehta is an atheist blogger who - as far as I know - was attending med school for a short period of time and he actively discourages people from mentioning their atheism or affiliation to irreligious organizations in the application process because so many people, even those who aren't necessarily fundamentalists, have negative impressions when they see "atheist" or "secular humanist", etc.

Anyone else interested in compiling a list of schools that are actively seeking to recruit LGBT students for the 2015-2016 application cycle?

Anyone else interested in compiling a list of schools that are actively seeking to recruit LGBT students for the 2015-2016 application cycle?
mmm I don't think they are any flat out recruiting LGBTQ, but Harvard application has a section that ask if one identifies as LGBT!

Cynical me wonders if a lot of hetero gunners identify as LGBT to get brownie points for admissions. I'm bi, so I'm allowed to say this. ;)

Cynical me wonders if a lot of hetero gunners identify as LGBT to get brownie points for admissions. I'm bi, so I'm allowed to say this. ;)
Much like the "am i urm enough" threads, if aamc starts documenting a bias toward lgbt we will absolutely start seeing "am i lgbt enough...because there was this one time" threads

Everyone wants bonus points

There's no doubt a few of them. But the question remains... Are they fabulous enough to pass?

/obvious sarcasm inb4 stereotypes etc

Reactions: 5 users
I received a good amount of pressure from my colleagues / advisors when deciding to include my orientation in my application. A bit of research, even on sdn, shows some bigoted views from faculty/students regarding disclosure of orientation within the past several years. I doubt people are currently going out of their way to fake being gay for med school apps.