SF Housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riskhk

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey you UCSF students.
I'm going to start my 3rd year rotations in August and was wondering where should I start to look for housing. I looked at Craigslist and the prices start at 800 dollars a month to share an apt. Ridiculous! In the boonies here, I'm paying 380 to share an apt.

How did you search for housing? What was the process? What's the range for housing? What areas are desirable to live at? What areas are not?

Thanks. After 2 years of pharmacy school, I can't wait to leave the boonies.

Kevin

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

Where exactly are you going to be working? The VA? Mount Zion? UCSF Medical center? If location is important to you, there are always openings near campus that pop up randomly. A studio apartment a few blocks away from campus (8th or 9th avenue) can range from 1000-1300 a month, not including utilities. If you're willing to share a room, then you can probably get it down into the 500-600/month range. Other considerations would be parking. A lot of apartments don't supply you with your own space to park, and parking on the street is horrible. So if they do have a private spot for you to park, most likely that will run you another 100/month. I guess it depends on whether or not you will bring your car up.

I would go ahead and head down to the Student Housing office on campus. They have a bulletin board where available apartment openings are sometimes posted. Thats a good place to start. The area around UCSF is pretty nice, lots of shops/restaurants down Irving avenue and the train and buses are constantly running if you decide to go with public transportation. Down Irving avenue is basically an asian market area/asian restaurant bonanza, so if you're into that kind of food, then you'll be in heaven. But there's plenty of variety in the area.

I would more than likely do all my rotations in the VA. Maybe some in the East Bay. Is it possible to get by without bringing my car to SF and rely solely on public transportation? If needed to, I can always bart back to the East Bay and pick up my car there.

Anyone know if it is convenient to get to VA through public transportation?

riskhk said:
I would more than likely do all my rotations in the VA. Maybe some in the East Bay. Is it possible to get by without bringing my car to SF and rely solely on public transportation? If needed to, I can always bart back to the East Bay and pick up my car there.

Anyone know if it is convenient to get to VA through public transportation?

I don't have a car here. I usually bum rides off my friends, but mass transport here is not too bad. Most students here at UCSF don't have a car.