Worth moving to SF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ateven

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I need some input. I’m currently working as a pharmacist in a large chain retail pharmacy based in SD. For a change, thinking of moving to SF area. Does anyone have input how’s overall pharmacy job market in SF area? Is it worth moving to SF?
Appreciate any comments/feedback!

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
It’s terrible... Next!

Reactions: 7 users
I'm in SD. I'd never move to SF.

You need 50% pay bump at the minimum to go there. That means $105/hr at the minimum. Most new grads there work in techs and get paid 200k to start with average career salary hovering around $350-600k in faangust. Housing costs double. You will be one of the brokest guy there.

SD has a pretty good place for an average income rph, a warmer climate 75F year round, and we never have traffic.

Yeah, naw for me dawg.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

You need 50% pay bump at the minimum to go there. That means $105/hr at the minimum. Most new grads there work in techs and get paid 200k to start with average career salary hovering around $350-600k in faangust. Housing costs double. You will be one of the brokest guy there.

SD has a pretty good place for an average income rph, a warmer climate 75F year round, and we never have traffic.

Yeah, naw for me dawg.

Thank you for generous answer! So overall, SF or Bay Area is expensive than SD. Just curious what’s the average salary for community pharmacist will be in SF?

• Haha

Yeah, naw for me dawg.

SD - South Dakota
Or
SD - San Diego

??

I moved to SF for a few years, for work. It was great, espcially after the initial adjustment period. It's also very expensive to live there...its certainly doable but hard to save. And I lived without a car (company provided shuttle buses), and subsidized rent (company paid for a good chunk monthly for the first 2 years).

As long as you accept that you may be dipping into savings instead of saving, it's a worthwhile life experience. If you see a good salary trajectory, maybe worth staying.

Also, I dont know if you're male or female but I assume you are single or at least unmarried. There are a lot more men than woman...when going out to a bar or nightlife it wasn't uncommon to see a 80:20 ratio. Something to be aware of. There are a lot of homeless, and they're more unpredictable than I've seen elsewhere. I would get a bike...it will be a gamechanger in terms of improving accessibility. Preferably one that's compact and either electric or with gearing to handle hills.

Last edited:
just visit. quality of life is better in san diego by 100-fold. I feel a little stuck here since i have full time and don't wanna rock the boat on the that till the boat sinks. lol. sure we have out door dining now, but do you want to feel like you're getting frost bite in july for being outdoors for dinner? i wear two layers on top and bottom and bring blankets now to dine outside in the evening.

just visit. quality of life is better in san diego by 100-fold. I feel a little stuck here since i have full time and don't wanna rock the boat on the that till the boat sinks. lol. sure we have out door dining now, but do you want to feel like you're getting frost bite in july for being outdoors for dinner? i wear two layers on top and bottom and bring blankets now to dine outside in the evening.
How’s pay in city? Do you work for big chain or grocery?

Members don't see this ad :)

I know it's not LA but I don't see how anyone can say SD doesn't have traffic. Maybe in the 70s-90s but not anytime past the 2000s. It used to take me an hour to get from Scripps to Mission Valley on the 15, both ways. Without traffic it's 15-20min. The 8 would always be backed up. The 5 always has traffic going downtown anytime in the afternoon. Good luck getting to Balboa Park anytime after 2pm. If you need to get to north county from Mission Valley, it's easily a 90min stop and go on the 805/5. The 78 is always clogged. If you wanna go to La Jolla cove, the stoplight off the 56 will take 30min to get through. Going the other way on the 56 is backed up and will take 45min to get to Carmel Valley. PB becomes gridlocked in the afternoon. There is always a line of cars waiting to exit off the 5. The 15 north is always clogged at rush hour.

Just my experience, I was definitely frustrated by the traffic in SD.

I know it's not LA but I don't see how anyone can say SD doesn't have traffic. Maybe in the 70s-90s but not anytime past the 2000s. It used to take me an hour to get from Scripps to Mission Valley on the 15, both ways. Without traffic it's 15-20min. The 8 would always be backed up. The 5 always has traffic going downtown anytime in the afternoon. Good luck getting to Balboa Park anytime after 2pm. If you need to get to north county from Mission Valley, it's easily a 90min stop and go on the 805/5. The 78 is always clogged. If you wanna go to La Jolla cove, the stoplight off the 56 will take 30min to get through. Going the other way on the 56 is backed up and will take 45min to get to Carmel Valley. PB becomes gridlocked in the afternoon. There is always a line of cars waiting to exit off the 5. The 15 north is always clogged at rush hour.

Max 15-30 mins isn't traffic lol

Max 15-30 mins isn't traffic lol

I just said it took an hour to go from Scripps Ranch to Mission Valley during rush hour. It's normally 15min. Mission Valley to Carlsbad at 12:00pm takes 90min, it should only take 30min. You don't consider that traffic? You Californians are definitely in your own bubble.

My current commute is 20min and I consider that long. Hate driving.

Last edited:
I just said it took an hour to go from Scripps Ranch to Mission Valley during rush hour. It's normally 15min. Mission Valley to Carlsbad at 12:00pm takes 90min, it should only take 30min. You don't consider that traffic? You Californians are definitely in your own bubble.

My current commute is 20min and I consider that long. Hate driving.
20 min commute during traffic hours is a luxury now :( traffic in rural states are becoming a thing now.

Well minimal congestion for the AM or PM commute during the time of corona is one of the "perks" of having to work during these times. Driving to and from work is like the weekend every day now.

TomTom data show this is the case for many California metro areas

Well minimal congestion for the AM or PM commute during the time of corona is one of the "perks" of having to work during these times. Driving to and from work is like the weekend every day now.

TomTom data show this is the case for many California metro areas

People still use TomTom GPS devices?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Many moons ago when I was stationed in Sacto and Merced......car insurance in the Central Valley was supposedly the highest in the nation...how is it now?

People still use TomTom GPS devices?

The data
With TomTom, your data is never sold and is always anonymized – meaning we break the link between your identity and the data we receive. Our Traffic Index data comes from our growing community of more than 600 million drivers, who use TomTom tech in navigation devices, in-dash systems and smartphones around the world.

Don’t understand the appeal of living at these places. 2 bedroom studios going for well over million dollar? If I am paying that much, I better have a view of Grand Canyon from my front door and Yellowstone from rear door right when I open it.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Don’t understand the appeal of living at these places. 2 bedroom studios going for well over million dollar? If I am paying that much, I better have a view of Grand Canyon from my front door and Yellowstone from rear door right when I open it.

Supply and demand. People go where the jobs are. There are more people than homes available. In these dense cities, there is no more land to build.

Supply and demand. People go where the jobs are. There are more people than homes available. In these dense cities, there is no more land to build.

I don’t disagree with you. It’s just doubling your salary doesn’t cover three times the living expenses compared to elsewhere.

Guy in Charlotte making $100k would be much better off in future compared to guy making $250k in SF.

I don’t disagree with you. It’s just doubling your salary doesn’t cover three times the living expenses compared to elsewhere.

Guy in Charlotte making $100k would be much better off in future compared to guy making $250k in SF.

Yeah, but who wants to live in Charlotte? How many jobs are available there? Isn't it racist in the south? Probably doesn't appeal to many minorities.

It depends on what you seek.
I'm a recent transplant to San Francisco.
For years it was my dream to move to San Francisco so I made it happen.
If I were on my deathbed today and had I never made a living in San Francisco, will I regret my life? Most certainly.
You only live once; I could die of COVID or get hit by a car and die tomorrow.
It's worth it for me and I have no regret.
Probably won't live here for the long-term though, unless I feel comfortable with my job security (which is impossible with the current pharmacist job market) and the housing price substantially goes down (even lower).

I work for one of the big 2 chains; the hours are unstable but I haven't had to tap into my saving yet.
For my company, even if you're a pharmacy manager, you get like 36 hours per week max is what I was told.
Hourly rate is not the worst but doesn't feel like enough for the COL.
Rental prices have gone down recently; you can find a studio apartment for under $2000 a month.
You should expect $300 per month for parking though.
Grocery isn't that expensive; there's a grocery store that I go to and the prices are comparable to places in my previous state (much lower COL).
So if you cook at home often, doesn't cost that much.

The bottom line- are you willing to sacrifice everything else to live in SF.
I did. Not sure if I can say I'm happy, but I have no regrets.
Gotta see what the future holds for me.
Sorry for the essay.

San Francisco has gone downhill, and the cost has only gone up.
Good weather, nice architecture, and beautiful scenery.
I remember when I could get a studio in San Francisco for $775.
Was a much better time then.
It was a fun and cool city with more than just technology.
Now it's just a bunch of nerds.

• Haha
San Francisco? didn't know people still wanted to move there. problems too numerous to mention. fun to visit, probably even a super cheap flight from sd. or a 7 hour drive. especially during covid times I would 100% rather be in sunny San Diego.

Oh there's definitely room to grow in SF but local residents oppose it. You see this in areas all over Dallas. They try to restrict how many stories a complex can be, change zoning rules, or create "historical districts" which prevent homeowners from altering their property without getting the city involved first. Almost like an HOA on steroids.

California has a valid excuse ie earth quakes.

Yeah, but who wants to live in Charlotte? How many jobs are available there? Isn't it racist in the south? Probably doesn't appeal to many minorities.

Have you lived in South?

Reactions: 2 users
Have you lived in South?

No. We don't have any family there so we have to desire to. We can afford our mortgage just fine. Why would we move away from family and friends? Just to save on the mortgage? Not worth it.

I haven't seen that kind of rent since the 70's! A few years back there was a listing for a crawl space (literally hole in the wall of someone's garage) going for $600/month. Craziest part is people actually were interested in renting it.

Nowadays, renting a in-law in the garage can easily go for 2000+; some don't even have kitchens.

San Francisco is a great city and has something to offer for anyone and everyone. However, if you don't already have housing, you will probably spend all your income on rent or mortgage alone. Then you literally don't have money left to do any of the activities that is available in the city. I am not kidding when I say going out to dinner, you can easily spend $100-500 per person (then factor in tax, tip, SF mandate tax). This is just standard dining rates.

If you truly go fancy, I will use SAISON for example, base price is 300/per person (assuming they haven't raised the prices) without any supplements (but who are we kidding, of course you're going to pay an arm or leg for foie gras or uni or blue fin tuna to be added on), then add in wine pairing ($200-1800 per person). Let's do the math: 300 + 200 (cheapest wine pairing) + 15% tip ($75) + 3.5% SF Mandate ($17.5) + 9% tax ($45) = $637.5/per person .

Moral of the story: You need quite a bit of disposable income to truly enjoy living in the city and you won't have that if you're spending it all on housing!

Last edited:
I haven't seen that kind of rent since the 70's! A few years back there was a listing for a crawl space (literally hole in the wall of someone's garage) going for $600/month. Craziest part is people actually were interested in renting it.

Nowadays, renting a in-law in the garage can easily go for 2000+; some don't even have kitchens.

San Francisco is a great city and has something to offer for anyone and everyone. However, if you don't already have housing, you will probably spend all your income on rent or mortgage alone. Then you literally don't have money left to do any of the activities that is available in the city. I am not kidding when I say going out to dinner, you can easily spend $100-500 per person (then factor in tax, tip, SF mandate tax). This is just standard dining rates.

If you truly go fancy, I will use SAISON for example, base price is 300/per person (assuming they haven't raised the prices) without any supplements (but who are we kidding, of course you're going to pay an arm or leg for foie gras or uni or blue fin tuna to be added on), then add in wine pairing ($200-1800 per person). Let's do the math: 300 + 200 (cheapest wine pairing) + 15% tip ($75) + 3.5% SF Mandate ($17.5) + 9% tax ($45) = $637.5/per person .

Moral of the story: You need quite a bit of disposable income to truly enjoy living in the city and you won't have that if you're spending it all on housing!

I never understood spending hundreds of dollars on a meal. My buddies and I ate out in SF at one of those seafood places by the arcade. It couldn't have been more than $20/person. The clam chowder was delicious. There's always In-N-Out too.

California income tax rate 9.3%.Awful.SF city income tax 1.5%.Good luck.

Unless you already have lived at these places whole life, there is no reason to move there if you are starting fresh ie looking for new job.

I am reading that Bogleheads books that was linked in pdf by one of the members, and in one of the chapters it mentions how moving out of expensive places is a wise choice one can make for their financial career. Why would I buy 2000 sq feet studio for $800k when I can buy 4000 sq feet house that you can actually call home for 600k in other parts of the country and live like a king?

NYC is the only place in the country where extravagant cost of living is justified IMO.

Charlotte is decent place. Can’t even get a job in Charlotte anyways. It is saturated in NC

Unless you already have lived at these places whole life, there is no reason to move there if you are starting fresh ie looking for new job.

I am reading that Bogleheads books that was linked in pdf by one of the members, and in one of the chapters it mentions how moving out of expensive places is a wise choice one can make for their financial career. Why would I buy 2000 sq feet studio for $800k when I can buy 4000 sq feet house that you can actually call home for 600k in other parts of the country and live like a king?

NYC is the only place in the country where extravagant cost of living is justified IMO.
Heck no not NYC. NYC apartment areas look like a slum infested with rats. LA is at least widespread.

Why would I buy 2000 sq feet studio for $800k when I can buy 4000 sq feet house that you can actually call home for 600k in other parts of the country and live like a king?

Do you know how big 2000 sq ft is!

Dude, Atlanta, GA is worse than San Diego. It takes like two hours to get to the airport from Alpharetta. an hour and 30 to get to Cococola museum and CNN with traffic

Dude, Atlanta, GA is worse than San Diego. It takes like two hours to get to the airport from Alpharetta. an hour and 30 to get to Cococola museum and CNN with traffic

Boston is worse than San Diego too, what's your point? San Diego still has traffic. It's not "no traffic" by any means.

I thought that San Jose is where most of the tech people live

Boston is worse than San Diego too, what's your point? San Diego still has traffic. It's not "no traffic" by any means.
Fair enough. San Diego is probably just as bad as other cities during work hours. I think San Diego traffic is more tolerable than LA or SF. I think Portland’s traffic is probably more manageable than San Diego

Tons of tech companies in San Francisco, Twitter is there. All the Facebook & Google nerds want to "be cool" and live in the city.

SD traffic is very manageable, better than most places for sure.