sGPA Lowest for Competitive Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr_OneDay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently retaking courses to get science GPA to 3.0 (from 2.73, but with no failing grades).

What is a comfortable minimum science GPA? My plan is to get sGPA up to 3.0, then apply for SMP.

I'm also thinking about just maybe retaking more science classes to get it higher (3.3+) since I'm taking three years off.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can get it up to 3.3 without shelling out money for an SMP, and get 510+ MCAT I would say you are great to go for most DO schools. Don't waste the money if you can do it yourself.

If you can get it up to 3.3 without shelling out money for an SMP, and get 510+ MCAT I would say you are great to go for most DO schools. Don't waste the money if you can do it yourself.
Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking mainly of MD since the gap is three years, so it looks like SMP is the best route for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're not getting into a md with your stats regardless of gpa repair. Doing well at a smp will not get you any md interest unless you rock that mcat hard.

To be honest, I have a hard time believing that a 90%+ MCAT score will result in interest from allopathic schools with a gpa that low. An SMP is going to be a big risk as well because it does not negate your previous grades and test scores. Many students in SMPs that do well do not get admitted to allopathic schools. Seriously, check out to osteopathic schools if you want to be a doctor. Based on your other posts, I'm guessing you have some bias against osteopathic schools. If this is the case, and you want to be a doctor, you need to let that go. If you earn admission to an osteopathic school and perform well in your course and the step tests, I see no reason why you would not be able to match into a residency that you are interested in (though it may not be in your preferred location). Best of luck to you!

You're not getting into a md with your stats regardless of gpa repair. Doing well at a smp will not get you any md interest unless you rock that mcat hard.

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking mainly of MD since the gap is three years, so it looks like SMP is the best route for that.
Wait, how is "the gap is three years" a justification for MD over DO?

Gap year = retaking and taking additional upper level university courses as non degree student.

Plan: Take 40 credits worth of bcp courses over a year or two (depending if I get into an SMP after this year or not). Goal: 3.7 GPA per course
Applications will be sent out during SMP or other master's program. (Possibly in 2017).

Bro, it's time to get back to reality and accept the fact that with your resume, you do not have the luxury to choose what title you get to have after your name. You should be ecstatic that DO school exist so that applicant like you have a 2nd chance to be a doctor through grade replacement policy. Now go and actually do well in classes this time around.

I don't want to rain on your parade but DOs themselves are getting competitive. On my interview trail, there are definitely candidates with 30+ MCAT scores being open to being a DO. People are slowly realizing that the letters don't mean jack. At the end of the day, it's all about graduating from med school, securing a US residency, and getting a well-paying job that's physically and spiritually rewarding.

If I'm in your position, I would be rather be a physician 2 years sooner and not be 40-50K in the hole from SMP. 2 lost years of physician income mean $400K in lost opportunity. Think about that, and start looking at the big picture.

I don't want to rain on your parade but DOs themselves are getting competitive. On my interview trail, there are definitely candidates with 30+ MCAT scores being open to being a DO. People are slowly realizing that the letters don't mean jack. At the end of the day, it's all about graduating from med school, securing a US residency, and getting a well-paying job that's physically and spiritually rewarding.

If I'm in your position, I would be rather be a physician 2 years sooner and not be 40-50K in the hole from SMP. 2 lost years of physician income mean $400K in lost opportunity. Think about that, and start looking at the big picture.
The MD title still matter in academia and many fields of medicine (ENT, Urology, Derm, Plastics, etc.) But agree with everything else, OP is not in the position to choose any other option than a 2nd chance of becoming a fully licensed physician.

The MD title still matter in academia and many fields of medicine (ENT, Urology, Derm, Plastics, etc.) But agree with everything else, OP is not in the position to choose any other option than a 2nd chance of becoming a fully licensed physician.

The reason that it matters because these are hot fields. However, every specialty of medicine goes through cycles. 15-20 years ago, ortho was considered a garbage field where only USMLE failures or recycles would consider for residency. It might matter now but it's going to matter less and less. Residency matching a few years from now will depend more on your grades, step scores, and interviews.

Last edited by a moderator:

Also, if someone is purely choosing medicine for the money or lifestyle, the best course of action would actually be to work in regulatory medicine or clinical trials for new drugs. These jobs don't care much about the title DO or MD. I hear that compensation package for these gigs would be 140-170K standard pay with bonus. Bonus would come in stock options that could easily add another 300-400K in annual income. The great things about these stock options is that you could structure your tax strategies so that your 300-400K would only be taxed at the long term capital rate of 20%.