SGU and Ross

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lionboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am in such a dilemma. Here are my stats i have a 3.45 overall GPA, 3.43 BCMP GPA, 28 MCATS, been published in a research journal, have done 300 hrs of volunteer work, and have done 4 yrs of research. Here is my problem, i should have applied for medical school entrance for 2006 but unfortunately i decided to wait another year. I really do not want to wait another year so i was contemplating that i should apply to SGU and Ross for fall 2006 entrance since their deadlines are late in June. But i have heard some rumours about Carribean schools so i was wondering for those of you who are in the Carribean or know really well about Carribean schools could clarify these rumors for me. Firstly, i heard that carribean schools make their curriculum harder than US schools and that they drop about 70% of the 1st year class? I want to do something general, such as internal medicine, i am a US citizen are my chances of becoming an internal medicine physician good if i go to SGU or Ross? In fact does anyone know what percentage of SGU or Ross students match back into the United States. Also what other tests besides the USLME do IMG have to take to enter the US? I heard IMG's have to take the CSA's, what are those? Do you think maybe i should wait for the next appliation and apply to MD allopathic schools in the US (personally i feel my stats are way too low for a US MD allopathic school). Sorry i know its a long thread but i am so confused, i keep hearing different things. Any help is most welcome!
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Firstly, i heard that carribean schools make their curriculum harder than US schools and that they drop about 70% of the 1st year class?

70% sounds extreme but I am not the most informed on these matters. It is higher than US schools.

Here's AUC's attrition rate:

What is AUC's attrition rate?
In 2004, the attrition rate for the basic science campus was 11%. The overall attrition rate for the medical school in 2004 was 7.5%.

http://www.aucmed.edu/aboutauc/faqs.htm

I want to do something general, such as internal medicine, i am a US citizen are my chances of becoming an internal medicine physician good if i go to SGU or Ross?

Yes. Anywhere IM chances are good. IM at Mass General, well maybe not so much. Derm and the like would be very very very hard unless you had an "in" somewhere.

Also if you want to go to certain states it may be harder. California comes to mind, most likely you cannot go directly from M4 year to PGY1 year in CA. Read about it here (link from leukocyte).

http://www.rossu.edu/files/GPG06-07.pdf

In fact does anyone know what percentage of SGU or Ross students match back into the United States. Also what other tests besides the USLME do IMG have to take to enter the US?

I believe if you can make all their hoops it is a very high percentage. There are no other tests than step 1, step 2ck, and step 2cs, just like American kids. But you have to take them earlier and have passing scores by match day deadline (unlike US kids).

I heard IMG's have to take the CSA's, what are those? Do you think maybe i should wait for the next appliation and apply to MD allopathic schools in the US (personally i feel my stats are way too low for a US MD allopathic school).

Everyone, honey, has to take the CSA now new and improved as step 2cs. Your stats are not terrible for US schools; many US schools have average MCATs around the 30 mark albeit many of those under 30 have other positives and/or are URMs, legacies, and the like.

Sorry i know its a long thread but i am so confused, i keep hearing different things. Any help is most welcome!

While I doubt that it is 70 perecen to the first year class that drops it, it is a fairly large number compared to us schools...I don't think it is as much the rigors (medschool is hard enough...don't know how they could TRY to make it too much harder) as much as it is that with the lower admission standards also come students that just weren't prepared to be doctors...many people with low gpas have reasons, others were just weak students from the getgo. That combined with the "culture shock" that can last as long as 5 or 6 months can play a significant role in how one reacts to the first year school. While many people always doubt the culture shock...it really does happen with the honey moon period followed by a sharp plummet that you blame on yourself, followed by a general acceptance, followed by another drop that you usually blame on the location or something, and then general acceptance.... So that is the long answer for the dropout thing. If you truly are prepared and can cope with a different enviorment you'd be fine.