SGU c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missnashvilletime

CSU c/o 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I figured I'd start a thread for c/0 2021 applicants and give everyone the information I was recently given.

I am interviewing soon for SGU (I submitted my application really early so I'd hear back), anyways SGU is NO LONGER doing the essay questions during the interview. I'm not sure how this will change the process but I know that has been a big thing on the threads I have read about their interviews.

Interviewers are also no longer given information about candidates aside from the name and state the applicant lives in. The admissions committee is giving the interviewers a specific set of questions to ask as well. It sounds like they are trying to level the playing field, which is great; but it will make it interesting for the first of us with the new set up.

I'll try to keep everyone who will be applying for entry posted! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I submitted my application about three weeks ago, without writing the GRE. However, admissions knows I will be writing it in the beginning of September. Is there anything I should look out for?

Just watch for any emails from Krista, as she will be your main contact! She's been super patient with me, my application was missing a lot of documents and she was really nice about getting them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on applying as well. Not quite ready to hit the submit button on VMCAS. Goal is mid August to have everything squared away and ready...

Reactions: 1 user
So glad you started this thread!!! I'm getting ready to submit my application. So, here's to hoping for acceptance. Good vibes to all of you applying, too!

I submitted my application last night and this morning received an interview offer. I'm very surprised by this and was wondering if anyone knew if this was typical of their process. Do they just offer interviews to everyone? I feel like there was no way they could have reviewed my application that quickly. Only 1 of my recommendations was in too.

I got an interview invite from them about a week after I submitted my VMCAS and I submitted it late June because I had started on it so early and already sat my GRE. About a week after that I got an e-mail with the interviewer info, and I scheduled and interview about a week after that. They seem to be pretty quick! I wouldn't worry that they are interviewing everyone, I'm sure they thoroughly reviewed your app.

If anyone has a question about the interview process with them, ask!

I think it depends on how good of a candidate they find you; just like any other school. If they think you're super great, they'll jump on the opportunity to interview. This is, of course, just my speculation.

I'm excited for you guys who did do interviews! I had mine and I *think* it went pretty well so if you have any questions feel free to ask! (Sorry I've been MIA!)

I was told that it would be 3-4 weeks before I had an admission decision though. So fingers crossed! Let us know how your interviews go :)

For those of you who have been accepted already; how long after your interview did they tell you? My interviewer told me to bother SGU after 4 weeks, and I'm at that time; but I don't know how to ask about it without seeming impatient! haha So if any of you did have to ask, how did you word it? Or should I just wait?

For those of you who have been accepted already; how long after your interview did they tell you? My interviewer told me to bother SGU after 4 weeks, and I'm at that time; but I don't know how to ask about it without seeming impatient! haha So if any of you did have to ask, how did you word it? Or should I just wait?
I was litterally thinking the same thing, because it was four weeks since my interview yesterday. I guess I'll e mail them then without being pushy haha.

Just sent an e-mail asking for a status update and Krista said I should hear around early to mid September. Doesn't that sound like kind of a long time?!

Submitted my application today! I have my hopes set on another school as first choice but I do love the idea of staying on an island for three years learning amazing things!

Just sent an e-mail asking for a status update and Krista said I should hear around early to mid September. Doesn't that sound like kind of a long time?!
I did the same! She told me it usually takes 4-6 weeks post interview to get a decision, so I'm hoping it'll just be another couple weeks. I hope she didn't mean 4-6 weeks from now, because that does seem late. Are you entering fall 2017? That's what I'm applying for, so even September is earlier than other schools, but it seems like a while post-interview. On the other hand, it's not like I really know what to expect.... Haha

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who have already submitted and have had an interview/interview offer, did they offer multiple options for your interview times/days? And how far did you have to travel for the interview? Just trying to get an idea so that I can have enough time to let work know and such.

For those of you who have already submitted and have had an interview/interview offer, did they offer multiple options for your interview times/days? And how far did you have to travel for the interview? Just trying to get an idea so that I can have enough time to let work know and such.
I didn't have to travel at all for mine, it was over Skype :). I also was offered several days and times to do it, which I really appreciated because I have a crazy works schedule!

Hi All,

I was hoping to have a quick question answered regarding the application process. I am applying directly through the SGU website, and have finished completing the form for Part 2 of the application, but I am having problems actually sending it back to SGU. The PDF file doesn't seem to allow me to save a completed copy of the application, so I'm not able to attach it via email, and even Adobe EchoSign seems to be declining my requests to send the completed form.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem to the one described above, or does anyone know a fix?

Thank you!

Yes, I went to print and in print options save as PDF to send them the completed form.

Is the supplemental application due on September 15th as well? I submitted through VMCAS but my last evaluator hasn't sent in my recommendation yet even though I've been harassing him every other day. He probably won't be done til September 14th honestly. I know they open the supplemental for you after the VMCAS has been accepted and verified but I don't think I will have time to do it before the 15th because my adviser is being a little difficult.

Is the supplemental application due on September 15th as well? I submitted through VMCAS but my last evaluator hasn't sent in my recommendation yet even though I've been harassing him every other day. He probably won't be done til September 14th honestly. I know they open the supplemental for you after the VMCAS has been accepted and verified but I don't think I will have time to do it before the 15th because my adviser is being a little difficult.

I was never sent a supplemental application actually. They changed their admissions process a little bit this year including the way the interview was conducted.

On another note I WAS ACCEPTED!!! I received an e-mail yesterday, I am SO excited.

Reactions: 4 users
On another note I WAS ACCEPTED!!! I received an e-mail yesterday, I am SO excited.
Holy, that was quick! Congrats though, must feel good knowing you're accepted this early on!!!

Not even five minutes after I congratulated you I got my interview request! This world is so wonderfully strange!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
So my interview is today and I am worried about the questions they will ask. What if I don't know the answer? I've tried keeping up with vet news but I'm hoping they won't ask me anything about it.

So my interview is today and I am worried about the questions they will ask. What if I don't know the answer? I've tried keeping up with vet news but I'm hoping they won't ask me anything about it.

How did the interview go?

I got the email today, I'm accepted as well!! :) Sooo excited! I'm really glad that it's not a question of if I'm going to vet school now! It's a thing, it's happening.

Reactions: 2 users
I got the email today, I'm accepted as well!! :) Sooo excited! I'm really glad that it's not a question of if I'm going to vet school now! It's a thing, it's happening.

Congrats! I just submitted last night, so hoping I'll be getting an interview invite soon!!

How did the interview go?

It went well I think. They allowed me to do a Skype interview but the guys camera wasn't working so I was staring at myself the whole time. But he seemed to really like my answers!

It went well I think. They allowed me to do a Skype interview but the guys camera wasn't working so I was staring at myself the whole time. But he seemed to really like my answers!

Haha, that happened in the beginning of my interview and it was a little slow but I hung up and called again and it fixed it. Yay! I'm so glad you think it went well, good luck!

YAYYY! Congratulations. It really does feel good to know that you have an acceptance.

Submitted my application a couple of days ago..... Now the waiting game! Congrats to everyone that has gotten the good news so
far!!! Hoping I can join in the celebrations soon

So came back from my mini backpacking trip today to find an email for an interview invite! Happy belated birthday to me!! (My bday was yesterday, 9/10) :D !!!

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations on being accepted! What type of questions were asked?

I have my interview for next weekend. I am also kind of curious on the type of questions that were asked?

It's very relaxed and conversational. Kind of just normal generic interview questions. What are your three best qualities, why do you want to be a vet etc

Hi guys!

So I just submitted my application through vmcas on Thursday (I had to wait until the deadline to submit since a couple of my recommendations were submitted at the last minute). I heard from SGU two days later, on Saturday, stating that I had been offered an interview. I contacted my interviewer right away and the only time she could meet is tomorrow... It's all happening so fast and I'm a little nervous that I haven't had much time to prep, especially since I work at a 24 hour emergency veterinary center and have been working all weekend. Any tips for what to expect as far as interview questions go? I know some of you have mentioned that they are pretty laid back compared to other schools so I'm thinking I don't need to go crazy worrying about scenario type questions or morals/ethics and current events like you'd expect from some of the state schools.

They'll ask you to talk about a current issue in vet med; I talked about the UK recently banning ear trimming and tail docking, they'll ask about your experiences and remember the way they do interviews now the interviewer has NOT seen your application so you can draw from them as you'd like. They asked about personal and academic strengths and weaknesses. How will you contribute to diversity? Do you feel you performed to the best of your ability in your undergrad? Vet school is expensive; how are you planning to pay for it/repay student loans? What do you think about living on an island?

There were more, but those were the ones I could remember.

They'll ask you to talk about a current issue in vet med; I talked about the UK recently banning ear trimming and tail docking, they'll ask about your experiences and remember the way they do interviews now the interviewer has NOT seen your application so you can draw from them as you'd like. They asked about personal and academic strengths and weaknesses. How will you contribute to diversity? Do you feel you performed to the best of your ability in your undergrad? Vet school is expensive; how are you planning to pay for it/repay student loans? What do you think about living on an island?

There were more, but those were the ones I could remember.

Thats pretty much everything I got. I also got a question like what areas of veterinary medicine experience are you weak in. For example, I've never worked with cows/farm animals so I was weak in that aspect. And what parts of the field have you gotten a lot of experience in.

Finally got confirmation that they received my application. I applied directly through their website. Not gonna lie, but I'm a bit worried it took so long.

Sent from my XT1030 using SDN mobile

I wouldn't worry too much Dec. I also applied through their website and it took a bit!

My interview is this afternoon. Nerves are starting to kick in :nailbiting: Hopefully it goes well!

My interview is this afternoon. Nerves are starting to kick in :nailbiting: Hopefully it goes well!

Interview done. Wasn't as long as I had anticipated. Some of the questions I hadn't expected, but answered to the best of my ability. Now the wait game!

I have an interview next week! Super excited :)

Interviewed with SGU on 7/23 and accepted 8/31!

Hey all! This is my first post on here, I have been viewing mostly as a guest. I applied to SGU and just had my interview and I think it went REALLY well. I was just wondering how long most of your interviews were? I read some previous posts that the interviews weren't as long as anticipated, and so I was expecting something like 20 minutes, and mine turned out to be 1 hour. I guess that is a good thing?

Hey all! This is my first post on here, I have been viewing mostly as a guest. I applied to SGU and just had my interview and I think it went REALLY well. I was just wondering how long most of your interviews were? I read some previous posts that the interviews weren't as long as anticipated, and so I was expecting something like 20 minutes, and mine turned out to be 1 hour. I guess that is a good thing?

Hi! Mine was 1.5 hours.....