SGU c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I want to attend SGU and even though I know its a great school, there is still a stigma attached to it. I have been accepted to the University of Illinois as well. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I want to attend SGU and even though I know its a great school, there is still a stigma attached to it. I have been accepted to the University of Illinois as well. Any advice?

Which is cheaper?

Honestly go with your gut and don't worry about a stigma. Stigmas are BS. I have heard nothing but positive things about the school. I personally like it a lot more because they seem to be a lot more supportive academically and socially then other schools are. Plus they are very big on hands-on learning and the fourth years are very capable when handling clinics at other universities.

A lot of people will say chose the cheaper school, but honestly debt is debt and you just pay it off. My mom has been paying off her loans for 20 years and she's almost done!! It hasn't impacted her life in any way and she's exactly where she wants to be. If you prefer SGU, go there. You could always go to Illinois for your clinical year!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Also just as a sidenote, even though there is still a stigma about the island schools, it does not inhibit any of the graduates of these schools from finding jobs or pursuing specialization down the line. Just like any other school, if you work hard and have great letters of recommendation, you will get where you want to go.

Reactions: 1 users
Also on the stigma, I work at a very busy 5 doctor clinic and over the years they've had several Caribbean vets and all of them have been awesome! They've also had no problem when it time to get another job, just my 2 cents. I'd be more worried about money than "reputation" from some stigma!

Reactions: 1 user
Those of you who accepted seats and are attending SGU feel free to send me a message if you have any questions. I got so much out of this site before applying and it really helped me calm my nerves about moving to another country. I just finished my first year at SGU, not as much experience as Ally, but I hope I can be of some help to you guys. Congrats everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Also adding that myself and most of my classmates are starting 4th year rotations now. Every one of them who have been on rotations for a few weeks now have said they are just as prepared as the students at the schools they are rotating at!

Reactions: 1 user
It finally came! I am so excited, January '18 SGU here I come!

Those of you who accepted seats and are attending SGU feel free to send me a message if you have any questions. I got so much out of this site before applying and it really helped me calm my nerves about moving to another country. I just finished my first year at SGU, not as much experience as Ally, but I hope I can be of some help to you guys. Congrats everyone!

I will take you up on that, have a couple of questions keeping me up at night ;) I will send a message.