SGU or AVC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakemom

Reaction score
Hi everyone!!

I am from the USA (recently moved to the southeastern part of the country) and got into veterinary school at the University of Prince Edward Island and at St. George’s in Grenada! I am not able to visit them in person before I have to decide and have scoured both of their websites and done the virtual tours and just can not decide which one to choose. SGU has a bit of a shorter flight and i am more of a warm weather person, but grew up near Chicago so I also am used to cold weather. I believe the AVC is slightly cheaper than SGU but there are direct flights from where i live to SGU and not from the AVC. I am interested in veterinary research, public health, and epidemiology and want to go for more of an industry route. I just wanted to know some other opinions—I’ll still decide on my own!!

I would really appreciate any thoughts or information!! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I’m most concerned about opportunity, place of living (I wont have a car), travel time, and ability to get a job in industry after graduation.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's possible to move a post to a different section or not, but there is an X vs Y vet school sub forum for helping people decide in these situations :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Go to AVC.

If hearing that made you sad, go to SGU.

But seriously though, both are accredited schools and you’ll likely end up a competent vet either way. Both are “international” for you and they do have different pros and cons because of that location. Realistically you’ll be fine at either. One thing I’ll say is don’t forget to account for having to move for clinics into your expenses…you could end up somewhere cheap or you could end up somewhere with a crazy high cost of living. For me personally I’d choose the location that has a teaching hospital so I have longer to make connections (but if you don’t intend to specialize connections may not be as big of a priority) and where I wouldn’t have to do a long distance move. I know it seems like a crazy important decision at this moment in your life but vet school kinda sucks everywhere and where you attended doesn’t really matter after graduation. Flip a coin if you really can’t decide.

Reactions: 1 users
Go to AVC.

If hearing that made you sad, go to SGU.

But seriously though, both are accredited schools and you’ll likely end up a competent vet either way. Both are “international” for you and they do have different pros and cons because of that location. Realistically you’ll be fine at either. One thing I’ll say is don’t forget to account for having to move for clinics into your expenses…you could end up somewhere cheap or you could end up somewhere with a crazy high cost of living. For me personally I’d choose the location that has a teaching hospital so I have longer to make connections (but if you don’t intend to specialize connections may not be as big of a priority) and where I wouldn’t have to do a long distance move. I know it seems like a crazy important decision at this moment in your life but vet school kinda sucks everywhere and where you attended doesn’t really matter after graduation. Flip a coin if you really can’t decide.
Ahhh thank you for the advice! I see so many pros and cons with both I’m just glad I have an option! Funny you say that, my coworker actually flipped a coin for me the other day about this! Both locations have teaching hospitals I believe.

Ahhh thank you for the advice! I see so many pros and cons with both I’m just glad I have an option! Funny you say that, my coworker actually flipped a coin for me the other day about this! Both locations have teaching hospitals I believe.
Historically fourth year students at SGU do their clinical year at other schools in the US (and maybe Canada/other countries) not on the island at their own teaching hospital, so that may be something you need to look into more. So if SGU has a hospital it wouldn’t seem to be fully functional with a caseload to support all their students or else they wouldn’t be sending them stateside for clinics? Not that moving for clinics has to be a deal breaker but it is a con in my mind.

Last edited:
Historically fourth year students at SGU do their clinical year at other schools in the US (and maybe Canada/other countries) not on the island at their own teaching hospital, so that may be something you need to look into more. So if SGU has a hospital it wouldn’t seem to be fully functional with a caseload to support all their students or else they wouldn’t be sending them stateside for clinics? Not that moving for clinics has to be a deal breaker but it is a con in my mind.
That was actually a huge plus to me! But i guess your right about the reason why they might have that?

Status
Not open for further replies.