AVC or reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lentilsmom

stressy and depressy
Reaction score
Hi all, I need some help making a decision. I am a 24 y/o, non trad, first time applicant from california. I applied to a lot of schools in the states and didn’t get in ( still waiting on western). My cGPA is 3.3, sGPA 3.2, and last 45 3.54. My interest in wildlife, specifically marine medicine. I was accepted to Atlantic veterinary college (in PEI, Canada) and am excited about the prospect of going, but it would be more ideal to go to school in the states. AVC has a small class size and is great for aquatic medicine, but I’m unsure. Is it worth the risk to do a masters / retake classes to raise my gpa and reapply for the 2023 cycle or should I cut my losses and go where I got in? Thanks in advanced for opinions and advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Even though PEI is not in the US it is still AVMA accredited and a great school. I loved my tour when I was applying/interviewing pre-COVID.

Also, where you go to school does not matter when you get your DVM. Is there something that is making you hesitant (ie the cost, travel)?

but it would be more ideal to go to school in the states.
Why? It's a serious question. AVC is accredited by the AVMA, has a small class size, is on an island (marine!), and your dollars will go farther in Canada.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that there’s this stigma that anywhere outside the US is considered less than
I don't think that really applies for Canada, the UK, or Australia at least - where the schools were established for nationals of those countries, and not just as another place for Americans to go to vet school.

Reactions: 1 user
Even though PEI is not in the US it is still AVMA accredited and a great school. I loved my tour when I was applying/interviewing pre-COVID.

Also, where you go to school does not matter when you get your DVM. Is there something that is making you hesitant (ie the cost, travel)?

Why? It's a serious question. AVC is accredited by the AVMA, has a small class size, is on an island (marine!), and your dollars will go farther in Canada.

I’m hesitant because of how far it is from california. It’s 8-10 hours travel time and I have 2 pets. Also struggle a lot with mental health issues and am worried about how much support is available on a small island. The prospect of moving to another country with cultural difference is daunting as well. I have not toured AVC yet and I’m sure it will change my opinion when I see the resources available on the island!

• Care
Why apply to a school you’d turn down even if it were the only choice?

Why apply to a school you’d turn down even if it were the only choice?
I didn’t say I would turn it down. I want to go but I have reservations. I did not expect to get in

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I've heard it is an amazing school! Everyone I have heard that goes has really enjoyed themselves! While it is a smaller island it does have a decent sized population (154K) which probably means there are probably plenty of mental health facilities. I come from a town of 30K and there was a lot of mental health support. Maybe reach out to the college with your concerns? They probably know best.