SGU/Ross

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

license2kill

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so this one is for those who are in the know. My friend's brother goes to SGU-3rd year and he is saying that about 50% are able to secure specialities in residency. So, what happens to the other 50%? Are they primary care? And is Ross not as good at placing its students in specialties than SGU?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so this one is for those who are in the know. My friend's brother goes to SGU-3rd year and he is saying that about 50% are able to secure specialities in residency. So, what happens to the other 50%? Are they primary care? And is Ross not as good at placing its students in specialties than SGU?

Both the schools have about the same rep. No residency director will favor you because your an sgu over a ross student. SGU will give better rotations which might help you alittle. Generally there match lists are similar. I would look at St. George pgy 2 match list on their website. Too be accurate 69 percent of the students do primary care and the other 31 percent specialize, but they are alot of factors that go into it. It is just a generalization, and that can be helpful comparing two similar schools and assuming that their demographic are similar. Demographics, and location of the student, cost of tution, cost of living, play a factor in people wanting to match in specialties.

A top IM spot can be harder to get than a low gen surgery spot etc.

Last edited:
I am assuming IM stands for internal medicine. I actually have an interest in GS. What difference comes from attending a top GS residency vs a low low GS residency? At the end, wouldn't I be as knowledgeable in my specialty despite coming from a low program?

Members don't see this ad :)
yea i meant internal medicine. Mind you i am going to be a first year DO student in a month, so all my info is people on this forum and asking friends who went through the match. I know they are couple of residents on this forum.

Both residencies will make you an attending after its complete. The only difference is

1) you get to be :cool: and working at harvard or something

2) the research opportunities are generally better, which comes to play for a fellowship when you apply to cardio vascular or something. That doesn't mean if you are a resident at Joe Shmoe hospital that you cant get it. It might be easier specializing in cardio, GI (if your IM) etc because of the more research opportunities which lead to you getting published. Usually the more difficult residencies are academic residencies and not community residencies

3) The rec's you get for fellowship will generally be from more respected physicians in their feilds if you did it at a big time residency. But you still have to impress him/her just like you would in a community hospital.

I am sure there is more, feel free to chyme in

All in all you can get a fellowship, if you work hard, impress people, but top flight programs have some advantages. It is not the end of the world if you dont get in.

I think around 3 percent of sgu grads, got gen surgery so it is possible

Last edited:
Good responses by a817.

Just to add, GS is difficult no matter what school you attend and what determines where you match depends on only two factors.

The first and most important will be your step scores and your letters of recommendation

The second will depend on whether the program (good or bad) will interview IMGs.

After that, it is all up to your personality and interviewing skills.

is 3% for GS a relative low number for SGU, or is it on par with other US schools? As far as I know, first of all things, GS is not all that popular right?

And for a817, why did you decide on going to DO? I have considered this many times, but I don't know if I can live with continuing to explain what my DO is to other people. What were your factors that made you choose DO?

Thanks for the advice guys.

Too be accurate 69 percent of the students do primary care and the other 31 percent specialize, but they are alot of factors that go into it. It is just a generalization, and that can be helpful comparing two similar schools and assuming that their demographic are similar.

I would only add that you can't assume that those who got an IM spot will go into primary care. There are many medicine subspecialty fellowships (gastroenterology, cardiology, pulmonary/critical care, etc.) that you will have the opportunity to continue your training in once you complete your three-year residency. Same goes for pediatrics.

-Skip Intro
Ross University
Graduate 2005, with honors
PGY-4/CA-3 Anesthesiology
University-based Residency Program in Northeast

This is mostly true. Getting a residency is dependent on many factors, but the BIGGEST ones are USMLE scores, LOR, amd MSPE (Dean's letter, which is dependent on GPA, etc.) GS is now very competitive, no matter what school you attend.

It is is heavily dependent on your LOR. But do not forget, that SGU has the best clinical rotations (which is where you get your LOR from). Especially after SGU spent the money for the HHC contract, giving them more spots to accomodate even more students. This was devastating to the other carib schools because they lost many spots.

Of course USMLE Step 1 is dependent on how well you study for it, but remember SGU has the best USMLE first time past rates (equivalent to the U.S. schools). So that should be some kind of indication that SGU does the best in preparing for USMLE.

And by the way, I've spoken with different residency program directors, and where you go to school does play a part in the decision making process. U.S. schools are of course the top dogs. Then its SGU or D.O. depending on who you ask (Northeast is D.O. friendly, while the South is not). Then there is everything else.

But hey do not take my word for it. Do your homework, or learn the hard way.

Good responses by a817.

Just to add, GS is difficult no matter what school you attend and what determines where you match depends on only two factors.

The first and most important will be your step scores and your letters of recommendation

The second will depend on whether the program (good or bad) will interview IMGs.

After that, it is all up to your personality and interviewing skills.