SGU (St. George's University) c/o 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Came across this podcast yesterday and thought I’d drop it here for anyone considering SGU! She talks about the school itself and living in Grenada (both pros and cons). I found it to be very informative 🙂

Vet School in the Caribbean
One of my classmates does a youtube channel about life down here and her experiences. Just look up sgu vet school and her videos will pop up. She is very informative about everything and it gives you a chance to see how the school/life is on the island!
 
One of my classmates does a youtube channel about life down here and her experiences. Just look up sgu vet school and her videos will pop up. She is very informative about everything and it gives you a chance to see how the school/life is on the island!

Thanks! How are you liking it so far?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Came across this podcast yesterday and thought I’d drop it here for anyone considering SGU! She talks about the school itself and living in Grenada (both pros and cons). I found it to be very informative 🙂

Vet School in the Caribbean

I found this to be very helpful and informative. I just listened to it en route to my interview and it calmed my nerves and gave me some good questions to ask!
 
Thanks! How are you liking it so far?
I like being down here! So far my experiences have been great. It has its pros and cons. Be prepared to be sweaty all the time and it rains a lot from August to December(rainy season). It's nice to be able to walk out and see the ocean to help destress after a long day. The teachers are great and really care about students. They are very willing to help you if you reach out to them. Your classmates will become your family and support system which is nice. Usually everyone is friendly and are willing to help you if you see them around on or off campus. I personally wouldn't want to do vet school anywhere else after being here because the environment to me is great. It does suck being so far away from home, but it does cut down on a lot of distractions that would take your focus away from school. If you have any specific questions about the school or anything else let me know! 🙂
 
Just got my interview invite! What are some questions y’all struggled with during the interview?

Honestly, SGU was my first vet school interview ever and I loved it. It was more conversational than anything and my interviewer was very nice and made me feel very comfortable. The questions aren’t hard or anything they just want to learn more about you as a person.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN
 
Just got my interview invite! What are some questions y’all struggled with during the interview?

It was like a conversation and did not feel like an interview. Just be yourself! Know your strengths and weaknesses, and issues in the profession that are important to you. Also have a few questions ready that you’d like to ask your interviewer.
 
How much pull on an acceptance does the interviewer have? Anyone know?
Almost none. The decision is made almost entirely before your interview. The interview is there to see if there are any red flags, or if you’re on the cusp to help sway their decision one way or the other. But for most people, it really doesn’t make a difference.
That’s not to say you shouldn’t put your best foot forward and prepare for it and give a good impression. It’s just that for SGU specifically, the interview doesn’t typically have much of an impact on whether or not you’re accepted.
 
Hey guys just got granted an interview for St. George's. They suggested me to take the GRE again to enhance my application. Pretty nervous but excited at the same time.

Anyone here went through the same? Any advice?

And also, anyone who can share with me their interview process that would be great 😀
 
Almost none. The decision is made almost entirely before your interview. The interview is there to see if there are any red flags, or if you’re on the cusp to help sway their decision one way or the other. But for most people, it really doesn’t make a difference.
That’s not to say you shouldn’t put your best foot forward and prepare for it and give a good impression. It’s just that for SGU specifically, the interview doesn’t typically have much of an impact on whether or not you’re accepted.


Hey! By this do you mean that if you are granted an interview, you have a good chance to get in?
I have mine soon and I am so nervous.
 
Has anyone done an in-person interview for SGU? I have an in-person interview but I had to contact the interviewer to schedule the date and time. Has anyone else had experience with this?
 
Has anyone done an in-person interview for SGU? I have an in-person interview but I had to contact the interviewer to schedule the date and time. Has anyone else had experience with this?

I had an in-person interview! Setting up the date and time was pretty simple, I left it up to my interviewer to pick the exact location and then I just met them there. My interviewer was very flexible and had Saturday’s available so we just agreed on one that worked for the both of us.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone apply for spring 2020 start and interview at the end of September? Have you heard back at all yet? I am anxiously awaiting a final decision and I’m the most impatient person ever. They said that the final decision deadline for me was this Friday. I hope they don’t take much longer, lol.
 
Hey! By this do you mean that if you are granted an interview, you have a good chance to get in?
I have mine soon and I am so nervous.
Sorry for the late response. I think they removed the statistic for it, but something like 98% of applicants who are interviewed get accepted.
 
I had an in person interview! I liked not having to worry about any technical difficulties since I almost never use Skype. My interviewer was super nice and said they are just supposed to get to know you, they don’t get any direct say in whether or not you are accepted. It was very casual and by far my favorite vet school interview out of the 3 I’ve done.
 
Hi everyone!

I just submitted my application and the anxiety is already kicking in. I still waiting to do my GRE next week and still waiting for some references. I was wondering if admissions will contact me only after they have received everything or they'll do it sooner?
 
It can be very quick to receive an interview invite. Then about a month or so until the actual interview. Then they say it’ll be a few weeks, which usually translates into a couple months. If you get an interview invite this week, the interview will usually be in November, and you’ll likely hear back in January.
 
I received my interview invite a week after I submitted then my acceptance 3 weeks after my interview. However, my recommendations and GRE scores were submitted when I submitted my application. You could email Krista in admissions to find out if your other materials will be reviewed before your application is complete?
 
I had an in person interview! I liked not having to worry about any technical difficulties since I almost never use Skype. My interviewer was super nice and said they are just supposed to get to know you, they don’t get any direct say in whether or not you are accepted. It was very casual and by far my favorite vet school interview out of the 3 I’ve done.


How was the questions? How was your experience? Any advice on how you prepared yourself? I have mine in two weeks and I am so nervous!
 
I applied to SGU for fall start and got accepted into the Foundation program to start in spring plus 50 hours of large animal experience. They want to know by Monday if I’m accepting or not and I am torn! Honestly don’t know what to do since the other schools are just now reviewing applications and I have an interview for one school end of this month! HELPPPPP!!!!!
 
I applied to SGU for fall start and got accepted into the Foundation program to start in spring plus 50 hours of large animal experience. They want to know by Monday if I’m accepting or not and I am torn! Honestly don’t know what to do since the other schools are just now reviewing applications and I have an interview for one school end of this month! HELPPPPP!!!!!

Yikessssssss. I would probably start by looking into the total cost difference between the school you’re interviewing at and SGU’s foundation + DVM program. If it’s significant, that may sway you one way or the other. Alternatively, if the school you’re interviewing at will have an admissions decision for you prior to the start of the foundation program at SGU, you could pay your deposit at SGU to hold your spot with the understanding that you’ll lose that money if you’re accepted to and decide to attend the other school. Good luck!
 
How was the questions? How was your experience? Any advice on how you prepared yourself? I have mine in two weeks and I am so nervous!
Honestly I didn’t prepare at all and that worked well for me because I felt like my answers were more genuine than if I had tried to prep. BUT I’ve also had 2 vet school interviews before and plenty of job and internship interviews so I’m (relatively) comfortable with conversational interviews. The questions were all very standard, they aren’t trying to trip you up with curve balls like some schools do. Be able to convey your professional and academic strengths and weaknesses, personal interests, experiences and why you want to be a vet. Then take a deep breath and don’t psyche yourself out because you can do this!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied to SGU for fall start and got accepted into the Foundation program to start in spring plus 50 hours of large animal experience. They want to know by Monday if I’m accepting or not and I am torn! Honestly don’t know what to do since the other schools are just now reviewing applications and I have an interview for one school end of this month! HELPPPPP!!!!!
I also am starting the foundation program in January of 2020. I still have others schools I also haven’t heard back from. I figured this is not committing to doing the vet program yet, just the foundation program. I do feel like 98% sure I want to continue with SGU for the DVM program, however there is still time to back out if need be. Also it does say if you do not succeed in the program they do refund you the tuition, however I’m not sure what it means if you want to just change schools.
 
I also am starting the foundation program in January of 2020. I still have others schools I also haven’t heard back from. I figured this is not committing to doing the vet program yet, just the foundation program. I do feel like 98% sure I want to continue with SGU for the DVM program, however there is still time to back out if need be. Also it does say if you do not succeed in the program they do refund you the tuition, however I’m not sure what it means if you want to just change schools.
Also sorry for another message. I didn’t see that mine said to gain 50 hours in large animal experience. Is this expected for all foundation students or was that an individual request? I just don’t want to miss anything I’m supposed to do. Thanks!
 
I also am starting the foundation program in January of 2020. I still have others schools I also haven’t heard back from. I figured this is not committing to doing the vet program yet, just the foundation program. I do feel like 98% sure I want to continue with SGU for the DVM program, however there is still time to back out if need be. Also it does say if you do not succeed in the program they do refund you the tuition, however I’m not sure what it means if you want to just change schools.

I doubt they would refund the tuition for the Foundation program if you complete it successfully, but decide to attend another school for the DVM program. The expectation with the Foundation program is that you complete it and then start the DVM program with SGU. I don't know of anyone who completed Foundations and then went to a different school for the rest of the program, but maybe it's possible? :shrug:
 
Does anyone know the stats of accepted students after the interview? I did mine and I think it went well. Now I am just overthinking lmao!

They used to have the stats on the website but I think they took them down! It is pretty high though! I think it was like 40% get interviews and 90 something % of those who interview get accepted and a smaller % (I don't remember what it was) actually accept their offer.
 
They used to have the stats on the website but I think they took them down! It is pretty high though! I think it was like 40% get interviews and 90 something % of those who interview get accepted and a smaller % (I don't remember what it was) actually accept their offer.

Ahhhhhh I hope it stays like that. I want to get accepted lmao thank you!!!
 
Using wayback machine, I found the stats. For students entering Spring 2018, 47% were granted an interview and 98% of those were accepted. For Spring 2017 entering students, 66% were granted an interview and 86% of those were accepted. So the more interviews they give out, the smaller the percentage they accept, but they still accept a very high percentage of students.
 
Using wayback machine, I found the stats. For students entering Spring 2018, 47% were granted an interview and 98% of those were accepted. For Spring 2017 entering students, 66% were granted an interview and 86% of those were accepted. So the more interviews they give out, the smaller the percentage they accept, but they still accept a very high percentage of students.

Thank you so much! That was very helpful!
 
Had an interview 3 weeks ago. It was very conversational and relaxed. It didn’t hurt that the Dr who interviewed me was a graduate from the school I’m currently at. Just be yourself and speak from the heart.
 
Had an interview 3 weeks ago. It was very conversational and relaxed. It didn’t hurt that the Dr who interviewed me was a graduate from the school I’m currently at. Just be yourself and speak from the heart.
Have you heard anything back yet? My interview was 3 weeks ago too. I’m assuming we won’t here for a little while but just wanted to make sure!
 
I was on a webinar last night and was told that it’s approximately 4 - 6 weeks until you would hear something. They accept some applicants within that 4-6 timeframe and others may not hear a decision until February. Depends on the strength of your application.
 
Has anyone been assigned a dorm room for January 2020? I was just placed in St. John’s Hall. I was hoping to get a room in Gairy Hall since it’s newer but I’m wondering if that’s only available to Term 2 students.
 
Has anyone been assigned a dorm room for January 2020? I was just placed in St. John’s Hall. I was hoping to get a room in Gairy Hall since it’s newer but I’m wondering if that’s only available to Term 2 students.

I'm in Eric Gairy as a term 1 student! But I think there are only 4 term 1 DVM students in the whole building as far as I know. Not sure how i got lucky enough to end up in here, but it's beautiful. Most of the other people are term 1 Med
 
Last edited:
They used to have the stats on the website but I think they took them down! It is pretty high though! I think it was like 40% get interviews and 90 something % of those who interview get accepted and a smaller % (I don't remember what it was) actually accept their offer.


Do you know by any chance the average for the GRE? Or around what score is considered acceptable/good?
 
Do you know by any chance the average for the GRE? Or around what score is considered acceptable/good?

The average I found on their website was a 305. They also state on their website they have no minimum required score. This is all in their FAQ section if you wanna take a look!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The average I found on their website was a 305. They also state on their website they have no minimum required score. This is all in their FAQ section if you wanna take a look!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Yes I had already taken a look at that but wanted to know if there was any additional information about those stats but thanks! 🙂
 
Yes I had already taken a look at that but wanted to know if there was any additional information about those stats but thanks! 🙂

I wouldn’t stress too much about GRE scores unless they tell you the committee suggests you re take it. When I was granted an interview in the email they suggested I retake it to improve my score. They said it will “enhance” my application. When I called to get more information about it they just said a general improvement, nothing outlandish like 10 points or anything like that lol


Sent from my iPhone using SDN
 
Do you know by any chance the average for the GRE? Or around what score is considered acceptable/good?
When I applied my score was under 300 and I was told to retake it, so I did. I only scored maybe a few points higher and was still under 300. I still got accepted, so it's not something that is super critical to have to do well on. Don't stress about the GRE too much.
 
Got accepted via email today! I submitted 9/16, was verified on 9/18, interviewed on 10/13, and admitted today 11/7.
Got accepted via email today! I submitted 9/16, was verified on 9/18, interviewed on 10/13, and admitted today 11/7.

When I applied my score was under 300 and I was told to retake it, so I did. I only scored maybe a few points higher and was still under 300. I still got accepted, so it's not something that is super critical to have to do well on. Don't stress about the GRE too much.

Ahhhh this was helpful, thank you so much! That is what I was wondering, its like Gianna said, they just want an improvement. Thank you!!!