You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
SGU (St. George's University) c/o 2024
Started by Sunshine in a Storm
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
SBS From NJ
Full Member
I was supposed to hear today and I did around 4:30.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SBS From NJ
Full Member
I received an email from Krista about 2 weeks prior telling me the admissions committee would have the final determination and provided me with the date I would be notified of the decision, which was 12/23. It seems like everyone who has gotten that email has received an acceptance on the date she said. Other than that I’m not sure how it works.
SBS From NJ
Full Member
You can always give Krista a call. Maybe they only have a few people working due to the holiday or Maybe that email will come today. Either way I’d call or email Krista.
Griver11
New Member
I emailed her today, let’s seeYou can always give Krista a call. Maybe they only have a few people working due to the holiday or Maybe that email will come today. Either way I’d call or email Krista.
SBS From NJ
Full Member
Happy holidays everyone. Here’s wishing everyone a great 2020 and that we all get an acceptance to SGU! Class of 2024!!!
Karensings2cats
VMCVM DVM-MPH c/o 2024
I got accepted!! This journey has been so difficult and I can’t believe I can finally say I’m going to be a vet.
Hi everyone! I just joined the SDN today to check about one of my other top schools (Illinois) so I've been snooping around on the threads of other schools I've applied to. I was accepted to SGU (to start fall 2020) on Wed, Nov 5th! I interviewed on September 19, but that was delayed a tad bit since the vet I interviewed with was out of the clinic when I first emailed him. I've been lucky that I know two current SGU students (1st year and 3rd year) who have been answering a bunch of my questions about the school.
I am considering doing the dual MPH/DVM program I was just curious if anyone else was? (If I get accepted to that I'll choose SGU over the other US schools besides Illinois and maybe Wisconsin). I've emailed Krista for more information since I originally said I was interested in an MS but now I am 100% confident I want to do an MPH.
I am considering doing the dual MPH/DVM program I was just curious if anyone else was? (If I get accepted to that I'll choose SGU over the other US schools besides Illinois and maybe Wisconsin). I've emailed Krista for more information since I originally said I was interested in an MS but now I am 100% confident I want to do an MPH.
Last edited:
gianna1018
Full Member
Does anyone else have their final determination scheduled for January for Fall 2020?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
gianna1018
Full Member
Me... January 28 🙁
Same here! I was originally told the 29th but I just got another email saying it changed to the 28th. Hopefully this is a good thing [emoji23]
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
I hope this is true! It kills me to wait for something that might be good or it also might be bad
I received an email from Krista about 2 weeks prior telling me the admissions committee would have the final determination and provided me with the date I would be notified of the decision, which was 12/23. It seems like everyone who has gotten that email has received an acceptance on the date she said. Other than that I’m not sure how it works.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same here! 🙁Me... January 28 🙁
I interviewed early in December but got an interview invite in October. The vet I interviewed with wasn’t able to schedule the interview till December. Just feeling super stressed because SGU is probably my only hope for vet school this cycle. I’m super nervous!
I’m turning down my spot if that makes you feel any better 🙂Same here! 🙁
I interviewed early in December but got an interview invite in October. The vet I interviewed with wasn’t able to schedule the interview till December. Just feeling super stressed because SGU is probably my only hope for vet school this cycle. I’m super nervous!
Does anyone have any tips for living in residence with significantly older roommates (20+ year difference)? I thought the housing department would group people of similar ages but apparently that’s not the case. I’m assuming both med and vet students are in classes for most of the day.
Are you living in the dorms? If so, they are very small so you will most likely be spending most of your time in your own room or out studying in the study halls. You share a kitchen and bathroom/shower, so if you think anything might be a problem since they are older just ask them about their habits and try to see what works for each other. My advice living with roommates is to just be upfront about anything and communicate before things become issues. If they are med students then their schedules are different from vet. They have less class times in blocks that the vet students have and more small study group sessions. If things happen to not work out and you are miserable living with them then talk to the housing department and they can try to move you or if you know people in your class have an open room and are willing to let you live with them they can tell housing and can move you to a new room.
You can search SGU off campus housing classifieds for places to rent and the SGU students of veterinary medicine page has had people ask about reputable places to rent cars for reasonable pricesDoes anyone know the name of popular SGU Facebook groups to see housing available to rent, cars to rent, etc?
Will you post her response?
I was also accepted for the VFP. I also struggled with this at first, but I’m telling myself it will only help me in the long run if it is where I choose to attend. As long as you keep the 3.0, you’re still going to attend vet school! After some researching it seems that the students that enroll in VFP do very well in the program, someone said they are usually in the top 30% of the class. So to both of us, chin up!![]()
Another VFP acceptance, here!! I've talked to a few current Term 1 (almost 2) students that went through the program and they all said they loved it. Sure it seems like another hoop to jump through, but they said they felt WAY more prepared/acclimated when they started "actual" vet school than the people I know who went straight into Term 1. I was also bummed at first but now I'm looking at it as a great opportunity to do even better than I would've without it.
The bright side is: it's not a rejection!

Vegetarian here!Anyone vegan or vegetarian in here???? 🙂
Yes ... but I interviewed in September and was accepted in October. IIRC, it took a week or two for the snail mail letter to come.Anyone receive their acceptance in mail yet?
Does anyone know the VFP success rate?
gianna1018
Full Member
This might be a stupid question but as I’m waiting on my final decision (2 weeks away yay!) I’ve been going through past threads and have seen acceptances for VFP and AEP. Now, I looked on SGUs website and I don’t see anything that shows the curriculum for VFP exclusively. Is it the same thing as the 5 year DVM program? If so, would someone be placed into this program even if they’ve taken all of these classes already (assuming they’re the same classes as shown under the 5 year DVM program curriculum)? If the curriculum is something different, does anyone know what classes you take in VFP? Just curious!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
I was never in FTV, but based on what my classmates who were they took anatomy, physiology, biochem, and I think one or two other classes that I can't remember. It's just one semester and you take a big test at the end and if you pass everything you move on to term one of the vet program. So basically you get to repeat anatomy and physiology in more depth in term one. A lot of FTV students do well in these classes during term one since they are learning it again.This might be a stupid question but as I’m waiting on my final decision (2 weeks away yay!) I’ve been going through past threads and have seen acceptances for VFP and AEP. Now, I looked on SGUs website and I don’t see anything that shows the curriculum for VFP exclusively. Is it the same thing as the 5 year DVM program? If so, would someone be placed into this program even if they’ve taken all of these classes already (assuming they’re the same classes as shown under the 5 year DVM program curriculum)? If the curriculum is something different, does anyone know what classes you take in VFP? Just curious!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
When they give you your acceptance to the VFP, there is a PDF attached that lists the classes you have to take during that first semester (Biomedical anatomy, comparative animal phys, biochem, micro, intro to vet sciences, and learning strategies for pre-professional programs). I've already taken Micro and am about to start online biochem so I asked Krista whether I'd be able to opt out of those 2 classes during VFP and she said no - i'd have to take all the required classes for the VFP in order to move on the term 1. Kinda sucks but for me, this is getting to be my only option so I'm most likely going with it.This might be a stupid question but as I’m waiting on my final decision (2 weeks away yay!) I’ve been going through past threads and have seen acceptances for VFP and AEP. Now, I looked on SGUs website and I don’t see anything that shows the curriculum for VFP exclusively. Is it the same thing as the 5 year DVM program? If so, would someone be placed into this program even if they’ve taken all of these classes already (assuming they’re the same classes as shown under the 5 year DVM program curriculum)? If the curriculum is something different, does anyone know what classes you take in VFP? Just curious!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone from Missouri been accepted yet?!? Still waiting to hear from other schools before I decide if I’m accepting my offer or not but I was just curious!! I’d love to make some friends before heading to the island!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gianna1018
Full Member
Accepted for Fall 2020!! [emoji4]
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Griver11
New Member
Congrats ! 🙂))))) see you in Grenada !Accepted for Fall 2020!! [emoji4]
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
CassieJune7
New Member
Accepted for Fall 2020! It’s exciting to see some future classmates on here. Can’t wait to meet you all!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
clumzyjacks
New Member
Got accepted for the VFP T___T and kind of considering it this time around >__< has anyone paid for the deposit yet?
Same! I haven't sent my deposit in just yet, since I'm still waiting to hear from Wisconsin but it's super likely I'll be accepting the VFP offer. I've heard great things about the program and tbh if this is my only way to get in, whatever I'll do it!Got accepted for the VFP T___T and kind of considering it this time around >__< has anyone paid for the deposit yet?
I will be declining my offer to go to my in-state. Good luck everyone and soak up some sunshine for me!!
Where did you decide to go?Officially declined my seat for Fall 2020. Good luck y’all!!![]()
TBD! Waiting to hear from 1 more school then making my decision.Where did you decide to go?
I will be turning down my seat for this fall!!! good luck to everyone going 🙂 enjoy the sunshine a little extra for me!
SBS From NJ
Full Member
How did you decline. Did you just send an email to Krista?Officially declined my seat for Fall 2020. Good luck y’all!!![]()
Yep!How did you decline. Did you just send an email to Krista?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SBS From NJ
Full Member
Thanks. Going to do the same.Yep!
Does anyone know where to find more info on vfp? I’m most interested to know how many people move on to term 1 dvm vs fail out.
Anyone else accepting their VFP offer? I haven't sent my deposit in yet but I will be soon.
Does anyone know where to find more info on vfp? I’m most interested to know how many people move on to term 1 dvm vs fail out.
I don’t know specific numbers/statistics, I just know that the majority of students pass and move on to Term 1.
I’m going to accept soon.Anyone else accepting their VFP offer? I haven't sent my deposit in yet but I will be soon.
