SGU vs Medical schools in INDIA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Derp98

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, i am new to this forum and have no idea wether i should be here or not but anyways
I am an indian citizen currently completing my high school will graduate this year (2016) i applied to SGU (not as a serious option) . Now I've got an offer from sgu for a 5 year Premed+Md program and i wished to know will it be better for me to stay in India get admission in a decent college and prepare for my USMLE or join SGU .

Members don't see this ad.

If your eventual goal is to practice medicine in the US, you should go to a regular 4 year college in the US, do really well, and then apply to US medical schools (DO and USMD). This is by far the best option, and seeing as you are 18 years old, you have all the time in the world.

If your eventual goal is to practice medicine anywhere (i.e. US or India), then you should do a normal 6 year program in India and then apply to US residencies and see what happens.

I really see no reason why you would do a 5 year premed/MD program at SGU. You will have a hard time matching in US residencies as a non-US citizen caribbean grad, and I don't know, would you be able to go back to India and practice with a degree from SGU?

I may have all the time in the world but first going for a undergrad course and then med school is very costly option for an international student

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you looked at the tuition for SGU? You'd be coming out with probably ~$300K of debt, and a degree that might not be worth anything.

yes and i've also looked at the tuition for my brother's undergrad degree in University Of Washington i agree sgu is costlier but still i'll be paying the loans for only one school instead of 2 ( premed and med ) plus i think deadlines for any decent universities have passed

yes and i've also looked at the tuition for my brother's undergrad degree in University Of Washington i agree sgu is costlier but still i'll be paying the loans for only one school instead of 2 ( premed and med ) plus i think deadlines for any decent universities have passed

Do you only ever want to practice in the US? Or India too? Is your goal to fully move your life to U.S?

If you can get into an Indian university, you may be better off. And just take the USMLEs while you go through, and then apply to the U.S.

Reactions: 1 user
There is no "right" answer.

If you go to SGU, you'll do the basic sciences in Granada, and then all of your clinicals in the US. If you score well on the USMLE and get good grades and good recommendations, then you will probably be able to match into a residency in the US. You'll get lots of US clinical experience via this route. Your chances of ever practicing in India with a degree from SGU are probably very low. Some reasonable percentage of students at SGU don't make it -- fail out in the first two years, or have trouble during clinicals and then fail to match. No one thinks, at the beginning, that they will be "one of those". But someone is.

If you go to school in India, you'll still need to do well on the USMLE. I don't know anything about the costs of school in India vs SGU, but I expect India is cheaper. You will need to arrange your own US rotations -- but, if you work hard at it, you may get better rotations than those at SGU. If you don't match in the US, you might be able to work as a doc in India.

In both cases, you should assume that your US training will be in one of the less competitive fields -- IM, FM, Psych, Path, Neuro. Other fields are possible but more competitive - surgery, anesthesia, rads, Peds, etc. Some fields are "impossible" -- ortho, vascular, ophthal, neurosurgery, etc. (There's always one person who makes it happen, but you should assume it won't be you).

There is no "right" answer.

If you go to SGU, you'll do the basic sciences in Granada, and then all of your clinicals in the US. If you score well on the USMLE and get good grades and good recommendations, then you will probably be able to match into a residency in the US. You'll get lots of US clinical experience via this route. Your chances of ever practicing in India with a degree from SGU are probably very low. Some reasonable percentage of students at SGU don't make it -- fail out in the first two years, or have trouble during clinicals and then fail to match. No one thinks, at the beginning, that they will be "one of those". But someone is.

If you go to school in India, you'll still need to do well on the USMLE. I don't know anything about the costs of school in India vs SGU, but I expect India is cheaper. You will need to arrange your own US rotations -- but, if you work hard at it, you may get better rotations than those at SGU. If you don't match in the US, you might be able to work as a doc in India.

In both cases, you should assume that your US training will be in one of the less competitive fields -- IM, FM, Psych, Path, Neuro. Other fields are possible but more competitive - surgery, anesthesia, rads, Peds, etc. Some fields are "impossible" -- ortho, vascular, ophthal, neurosurgery, etc. (There's always one person who makes it happen, but you should assume it won't be you).

So if i decide to study in India then what will be the process for applying for clinical rotations in the US and for how long will those rotations last because i'll have to do them after completing my college or is it possible to do them while i'm still in college ?