SGU vs Ross vs Saba vs AUC vs AUA vs MUA: My take on it.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dylantanis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in order to organize and process all the info that I've found out on the forums, here's a rundown for all newb members like me trying to decide where to go.

1. SGU: I have a friend down there right now, another that just quit this semester, another finished with basic sciences studying for step 1, and finally one that is finishing up her residency in pathology at Columbia.

PROS: well known; aggressive about clinical spots; pretty nice campus
for a carib school; looks like clinicals can be done in one geographical location for greenbook rotations or at 1 hospital

CONS: EXPENSIVE; attrition rate; 2 start dates/yr; some crime

2. Ross:
PRO: well known; has 3 start dates/yr; cheaper than SGU
greenbook cores can be done in 1 geogr. location/or hospital

CONS: crappier island than SGU; having some clinical issues; some crime

3. AUC:
PRO: well known; has 3 start dates/yr; cheaper than SGU; smaller classes
compared to Ross & SGU
greenbook cores can be done in 1 geogr. location/or hospital

PRO/CON: St. Maarten, depending on how you look at it
CON: some crime; expensive island

4. SABA:
PRO/CON: Island of Saba...very small...no beach...less distractions or really boring...depending how you look at it...
PROs: Tuition; 3 start dates/yr; smaller classes vs. Ross & SGU; no crime
Not sure if all greenbook cores can be in 1 place

CONS: looks like you may have to jump around place to place if you want greenbook rotations

5. AUA:
PRO: looks like a strong affilition in NYC (where I'm from),
CON: but the issue is the affiliate hospitals aren't greenbook except for Brooklyn. No Cali approval. Young school
Most likely have to hop around to get all greenbook

6. MUA: Didn't apply but been recently investigating them.
Clinical sites are not posted on their site, so I don't have a clue...but I
would imagine if you want all greenbook cores, you'll have to hop around

Also for those interested.
In terms of formal state approvals:

SGU:NY, NJ, FL, CA, federal loans
-**: $20K for semesters 1,2,4; $7K for sem. 3; $7K for sem 5; $15K for sem 6
-CL: $20K x 5 semesters
-dorm:$1600 - $3500/semester

AUC: NY, TX, FL, CA, federal loans
-**: $13,200 x 4 semesters, $14,300 for 5th semester
-CL: $14,600 x 4 semester, $7300 for 9.5th semester
-dorm: $4200 - $5000/semester

ROSS: NY, NJ, FL, CA, federal loans
-**: $14,000 x 4 semesters, $15,500 for 5th (possibly in US)
-CL:$15, 500 x 5 semesters
-dorm:$275 - $1000/ MONTH

SABA: NY, CA, provisional FL approval
-**: $8500, $8200, $8200, $8200, $8500
-CL: $9000 x 5 semesters
-dorm: $2 - $3K/semester

AUA: NY
-**: $10K x 4 semester in Antigua, $11,250 for 5th semester in US
-CL: $11,250 x 5 semesters
-dorm: $1400-$3400/semester

MUA: NY
-**:$8100, $7600, $7600, $7600, $8000
-CL: $8700 x 5 semesters
-dorm: $1800-$2600/semester

Please feel free to add to the list of pros & cons.
I beg senior members to chime in!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
for me, a pet owner, the fact that SGU's vet school is on the same island and they offer a vet clinic was an important aspect. Ross's vet school is on St. Kitts island, further from Dominica.
Cheers

I am a Ross student. 4th year now in NYC. Do not be fooled my all the marketing. They invest a great deal in that and very little in much else. They put a spin on everything and they are very good at it. They take way too many students. There is no guidance/advising. There is a great deal of misinformation from people at the school that may end up costing you time and money and not much recourse available. I would not have gone there if I new what I know now when I was making my choice....and my expectations weren't too high to begin with. So, do your research and listen to what the students at Ross tell you...if you decide to go there, they will be the only people that will help you figure out how to get through medical school and get into a residency program. The school takes your money, provides the lectures, and administers exams. That's about it. No frills. No support.

My suggestion- if you're really set on SGU, start at AUC or Saba and transfer after 1st year.

unless the SGU policy changed in the last couple of years, they don't accept transfers from other carib schools. Also yes the notes have errors, some test questions are crap, some profs just read from the power points and want to hurry up and get through the lecture so that they can go to the beach. but also there's a lot of support on the island, The weekly review hours that were held by upper classmen were awesome, some profs would give out their cell numbers, and there's plenty of help available from the school as well.

For AUC and ROSS, how long can my parents stay with me on the island if they both have a visa and one has an american passport and one has an indian passport?

For AUC and ROSS, how long can my parents stay with me on the island if they both have a visa and one has an american passport and one has an indian passport?

For Ross you can stay on the island for two weeks without a visa. With a visa, not quite sure how that works for non students. But the visa for students is one year, so I'd assume it would be the same for others.

I know your parents probably don't want to take a chance with immigration and stuff in Dominica. But it's really a big joke. I'm not saying that you shouldn't respect the border customs but it's a little hard to take seriously.

They may have started getting stringent on the issue though.

Other then that, a lot of my colleagues brought their parents with them on their first trip over and a lot had their parents and loved ones visit. I still recommend finding a group of companions as soon as possible. Everyone is alone on the island at first. It isn't hard to make friends out of the gate. It gets tougher once you miss that first week of hanging out prior to the beginnings of classes.

My recommendation is that even if your parents have an extended stay, get to work on day 1. You will need to really work hard for the first exam (i think they now split the first exam into 2 tests, the first one being 2 weeks in).

You won't have a clue what you need to know or how you will be tested so you will have to shove all of it into your mind and just set yourself off on the correct pace. Good luck.

I was wondering if there is a really big difference in the quality of the school and the matching rates between SGU and AUC.
They are both nice islands and seem to have a descent medical school but SGU is much more expensive. Is the price difference worth it. All I know is that SGU is very well renown, but I am assuming AUC is also getting much better stats lately. AUC also got a 96% pass rate for step 1. They are also building new buildings for medschools which will be ready in august 2013. AUC also have much smaller classes then SGU.
So is the reputation for SGU really worth the price and would it really be considered much better then AUC to have a future as a physician in the States or Canada?
I am having a very hard time deciding between the two mostly because St George is more renown.

I was wondering if there is a really big difference in the quality of the school and the matching rates between SGU and AUC.
They are both nice islands and seem to have a descent medical school but SGU is much more expensive. Is the price difference worth it. All I know is that SGU is very well renown, but I am assuming AUC is also getting much better stats lately. AUC also got a 96% pass rate for step 1. They are also building new buildings for medschools which will be ready in august 2013. AUC also have much smaller classes then SGU.
So is the reputation for SGU really worth the price and would it really be considered much better then AUC to have a future as a physician in the States or Canada?
I am having a very hard time deciding between the two mostly because St George is more renown.

They're both Caribbean schools, so choosing one school over the other based on some supposed "renown" is silly. In the end, you will still be discriminated against by US and Canadian medical graduates no matter what Caribbean island you choose. What you DO have to consider is which school gives you a better chance at placing into residency.

I am trying to pick between AUC or SGU ... I was wondering is AUC was as good organizing students into the clerkship clinical rotations as SGU. I heard that SGU really set you up very well into a clinical hospital and it was worth going to SGU just for that. Is AUC just as good on that aspect?

I am trying to pick between AUC or SGU ... I was wondering is AUC was as good organizing students into the clerkship clinical rotations as SGU. I heard that SGU really set you up very well into a clinical hospital and it was worth going to SGU just for that. Is AUC just as good on that aspect?

when it comes to caribbean schools SGU >>>> all others. the choice here is very obvious.

Just curious

But SGU grads aren't approved to practice in TX but are in CA?

Just curious

But SGU grads aren't approved to practice in TX but are in CA?

SGU grads can be licensed in all states, including Texas. Look at the list of approved schools from Texas.