SGU vs RVC (5 year)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neocaridinadavidi

c/o 2025
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! So I think I already made up my mind based on previous threads regarding each school but there was nothing I saw specifically comparing these two so I'm here for help. RVC was the last school I heard back from and I had been debating what I would choose for a few months if I were to be accepted and ultimately settled on SGU. However, after receiving my acceptance to RVC today its throwing me back into a cycle of overthinking and I just want to make sure there isn't anything I'm missing and that I'm making the "right decision". Ultimately what lead me to decide on SGU is that :
1. It is a shorter program and I would get to live in 2 places (and could potentially even go to RVC for the clinical year)
2. It would cost less money because of the lack of an extra year
3. The sunny weather would probably help me personally in terms of mental health
4. The idea of starting RVC with mostly 18 year old brits isn't as appealing as...not doing that
5. I know its weird but the title "Bachelor" of vet med spooks me as I want to work in the US (I know this one is irrational and no one has issues with getting jobs as far as I can tell)

I think what is mostly making me question my choice is the vast difference in "prestige" and that's kind of what draws me to RVC rather than anything other factor - but I also hate people who care about rankings and labels but we still ~live in a society~ so I'm naturally questioning my decision to go with the less "fancy" option.

Let me know what y'all think - thank you in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

RVC is a great school, but you could not pay me to stay here another year. 4 was more than enough. I would not let the name and rank draw you in because while you’ll get a great education, it’s not any better than SGU. Don’t underestimate the reality of 2 whole years doing everything you learned in undergrad just upped a little, and then 2 more years of clinical lectures before you get to touch an animal. It’s probably like that because you’re in school with kids who drink themselves sick every week and shouldn’t be involved with animals yet. Im not belittling the 18yr olds, because they are kids, but it’s just draining. Because of that, it’s not as much as a professional community as I’d imagine most vet schools in the US to be.
If the programs were the same length, it would be personal preference. But I wouldn’t suggest taking the longer course when you have an AVMA accredited 4 year school like SGU as an option.

Reactions: 1 users
RVC is a great school, but you could not pay me to stay here another year. 4 was more than enough. I would not let the name and rank draw you in because while you’ll get a great education, it’s not any better than SGU. Don’t underestimate the reality of 2 whole years doing everything you learned in undergrad just upped a little, and then 2 more years of clinical lectures before you get to touch an animal. It’s probably like that because you’re in school with kids who drink themselves sick every week and shouldn’t be involved with animals yet. Im not belittling the 18yr olds, because they are kids, but it’s just draining. Because of that, it’s not as much as a professional community as I’d imagine most vet schools in the US to be.
If the programs were the same length, it would be personal preference. But I wouldn’t suggest taking the longer course when you have an AVMA accredited 4 year school like SGU as an option.
Thank you so much for your response! It really helped me feel more confident in my choice

Reactions: 1 user