Shadowing a Doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiouskamill

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just about to start college and I am a Biomedical Engineering Major as a PreMed. Anyway I found a neurologist I can shadow he is a family friend. I'm very concerned about the process before shadowing like do I have to get some documents or sign some papers or do I just go to the doctor and shadow him/her? I guess what I'm trying to say is there something I have to do legally or does that just depend on the hospital? Thanks :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Don't worry about it.

They are the ones needing to cover their ass legally. If things need signing they will tell you so.

Wear business casual. Slacks, not jeans. No sheer tops. No sleeveless. No cleavage. Closed toe shoes. Don't put the make up on with a trowel. Clean hair. Don't be soaked in perfumes.

Ah ****, just saw you're a dude.

Again, slacks. Closed toe shoes. Don't be a douche with a lot of hair gel or aftershave. Have something professional to take notes in like even just a legal notepad or a small one that fits in a pocket but never jot down patient names. Wear dress socks and business casual shoes. If you're poor like me, I just had black athletic socks calf length. Just when you sit down no one wants to see your white ankle sox or the skin of your calf. Shirt should be collared, a button up. No graphics on your t's. Coat shouldn't be a hoodie or something of that nature. You don't have to wear a tie but if it makes you feel better. Only speak when spoken to and do whatever you're told like the most important game of Simon Says ever.

If you're a coffee drinker worry about your breath.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about it.

They are the ones needing to cover their ass legally. If things need signing they will do so.

Wear business casual. Slacks, not jeans. No sheer tops. No sleeveless. No cleavage. Closed toe shoes. Don't put the make up on with a trowel. Clean hair. Don't be soaked in perfumes.

Ah ****, just saw you're a dude.

Again, slacks. Closed toe shoes. Don't be a douche with a lot of hair gel or aftershave. Have something professional to take notes in like even just a legal notepad or a small one that fits in a pocket but never jot down patient names. Wear dress socks and business casual shoes. If you're poor like me, I just had black athletic socks calf length. Just when you sit down no one wants to see your white ankle sox or the skin of your calf. Shirt should be collared, a button up. No graphics on your t's. Coat shouldn't be a hoodie or something of that nature. You don't have to wear a tie but if it makes you feel better. Only speak when spoken to and do whatever you're told like the most important game of Simon Says ever.

If you're a coffee drinker worry about your breath.

Thank you so much, and no problem

I would add that any facial hair must be groomed. No five o'clock shadows at 8 am.

Leave the manly eyeliner or crazy piercings at home. Leaving a hole or putting in something simple like stainless steel (if you have stretched ears just put in something that isn't flashy)

Document the amount of hours you shadow and other EC's for yourself in any format of your preference, so you can put this on your application. You do not need to legally log anything. The extracurriculars on your AMCAS is based on a trust system. If an adcom(s) sees something suspicious, he, she, or they will take their own measures to verify your application is truthful.