Shadowing a Doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Jekyll

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not too sure what shadowing a doctor means. Does it mean you follow the doctor around on a normal day of work, seeing his patients? If so, wouldn't this be a huge privacy issue with the patients?

Members don't see this ad.

Shadowing a doctor does mean following around a doctor. If you do it in a hospital affiliated with a medschool, most patients will be used to seeing students and will not mind. I shadowed a doctor for the past 3 months (1 half day a week) and patients never complained or asked me to leave. I know that in Canada if you go to get treated at an University Hospital you have to expect to be seen by students.
Mel

Members don't see this ad :)
But in America, students that are still in undergrad class can shadow doctors at a university without any problem, right?

Shadowing a doctor does mean following around a doctor. If you do it in a hospital affiliated with a medschool, most patients will be used to seeing students and will not mind. I shadowed a doctor for the past 3 months (1 half day a week) and patients never complained or asked me to leave. I know that in Canada if you go to get treated at an University Hospital you have to expect to be seen by students.

Depends on the doc.

Dr.Jekyll said:
But in America, students that are still in undergrad class can shadow doctors at a university without any problem, right?