Shadowing a radiologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dfymarine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all,

I am about to shadow a radiologist in the nearby hospital for the summer while I plan to study for MCAT. My question is that, does shadowing a radiologist help you on the application? is it necessary? and is it a good idea to get a recommendation letter from the radiologist I am about to shadow. in addition, does shadowing a radiologist count as clinical experience?

thank you in advance....

D

Members don't see this ad.

Yes to all of those questions.

Yes to all of those questions.

Except for the last one, unless the radiologist is going to actually show you the patient they are doing diagnostic tests on. And radiologists usually don't have much patient contact by the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Radiologists are doctors....if you shadow one, you're getting experience in the healthcare setting. And while they may not see as many patients as some other docs, it is definitely clinical experience and it sure as hell is better than nothing. (on a side note, interventional rads see patients regularly...) Plus, through that experience, you'll get to meet and network with other docs in other specialties which could perhaps lead to more shadowing opportunities. Go for it.

Except for the last one, unless the radiologist is going to actually show you the patient they are doing diagnostic tests on. And radiologists usually don't have much patient contact by the way.

yes, I think you are right, that is why I got this job in the first place! just because radiologist is the only doctor that is not as Uber busy as other doctors, and accordingly he is able to afford to let me follow him around. Moreover, what about shadowing a pathologist? I heard from this radiologist I am about to shadow that the pathology is a morbid field. :p Nevertheless, at least shadowing a radiologist is better than nothing?

thanks for the quick replies, you guys are the best!

( If I ever become a doctor, I would make sure to donate to this forum! Mark my words)

D

yes, I think you are right, that is why I got this job in the first place! just because radiologist is the only doctor that is not as Uber busy as other doctors, and accordingly he is able to afford to let me follow him around. Moreover, what about shadowing a pathologist? I heard from this radiologist I am about to shadow that the pathology is a morbid field. :p Nevertheless, at least shadowing a radiologist is better than nothing?

( If I ever become a doctor, I would make sure to donate to this forum! Mark my words)

D

Hardy har har... I'm a bit biased here because I worked full time in a hospital pathology lab for over 2 years and have become interested in it. Most people here probably would not know this, but even some pathologists see patients (live ones). Those that are certified in cytopathology can do fine needle aspirations (biopsies that suck cells out of subcutaneous masses that can be visualized by the naked eye and don't need radiology guidance). That experience was the best of my life because it offered me chances for doctor and patient interaction, as well as autopsies (best learning experience ever for a premed) and also the "behind-the scenes" aspects of medicine that most people know nothing about. Saw just about every organ and tissue-type that comes out of a human, as well as many diff cancers. It was 10 times better than shadowing an internist in her office or volunteering at a local level 1 trauma ER. It's not for everyone,so shadow in a specialty that you are either interested in or interested in learning about.

D

You are sadly misinformed. Radiologists are very busy doctors. Furthermore, shadowing a radiologist is most certainly "clinical experience." Staging cancer, checking ICU patient's daily CXRs, consulting with other physicians...sounds like clinical experience to me.

Also, pathology is awesome.

That is all.

One caveat: watch out for cancer-causing radioactive rays. They're pretty easy to see, so if you see one heading toward you, jump out of the way.

That's it! I just had my very first day of shadowing radiologist today's morning.. it is indeed the best specialty that you can truly enjoy being a doctor with a LIFE!

The two radiologists I have been shadowing with are like the coolest doctors I have ever seen, unlike the obnoxious surgeons, pathologist with no expression, frenzy emergence medicine practitioners, and so on! Those two radiologists are playing GTA 4 :laugh:while talking about the procedures, techniques, as well as the advices on how being a radiologist. Moreover, they taught me how to analyze the CT scans as well as the ultrasound pix:love:, in addition I even got to interact with the patients with them..

Seriously though, by appearance they just look like down-to-earth guys with interests in playing video games, buying a supercar like Ferrari, and talking with a lot of curses.

Man.... I can't even how to describe even thought I wanted to. but anyways, in my opinion the radiology is best specialty! Hands down!:hardy:

Chills out

That's it! I just had my very first day of shadowing radiologist today's morning.. it is indeed the best specialty that you can truly enjoy being a doctor with a LIFE!

The two radiologists I have been shadowing with are like the coolest doctors I have ever seen, unlike the obnoxious surgeons, pathologist with no expression, frenzy emergence medicine practitioners, and so on! Those two radiologists are playing GTA 4 :laugh:while talking about the procedures, techniques, as well as the advices on how being a radiologist. Moreover, they taught me how to analyze the CT scans as well as the ultrasound pix:love:, in addition I even got to interact with the patients with them..

Seriously though, by appearance they just look like down-to-earth guys with interests in playing video games, buying a supercar like Ferrari, and talking with a lot of curses.

Man.... I can't even how to describe even thought I wanted to. but anyways, in my opinion the radiology is best specialty! Hands down!:hardy:

Chills out

Thanks for your experience. Radiology is definitely a specialty I will have my eye on in the future. I also play GTA4; maybe it was meant to be. :laugh: