Shadowing after AMCAS submission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlphaKY1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently waiting for verification of my AMCAS. I was shadowing a trauma surgeon today and have been on call throughout the night. A call came in of a young girl with bilateral angulated wrists fractures. Because of the patient's age, the trauma surgeon called an ortho to complete the procedure, who let me continue to shadow during the closing of the fractures. This was my first time being able to watch an ortho in action and thought it was absolutely incredible. My question is should I update medical schools at all about my new experience? Or mention it in my secondaries? He gave me his number and I plan on shadowing more frequently throughout the semester, regardless of acceptance status, to learn more.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently waiting for verification of my AMCAS. I was shadowing a trauma surgeon today and have been on call throughout the night. A call came in of a young girl with bilateral angulated wrists fractures. Because of the patient's age, the trauma surgeon called an ortho to complete the procedure, who let me continue to shadow during the closing of the fractures. This was my first time being able to watch an ortho in action and thought it was absolutely incredible. My question is should I update medical schools at all about my new experience? Or mention it in my secondaries? He gave me his number and I plan on shadowing more frequently throughout the semester, regardless of acceptance status, to learn more.
Hopefully, you have other shadowing listed on the application you submitted, but even if not, I suggest you accumulate more hours before sending an update letter. For Secondaries, if given the opportunity to mention plans over the next year or activities since submitting, then this new experience is fair game.

Reactions: 1 user
Hopefully, you have other shadowing listed on the application you submitted, but even if not, I suggest you accumulate more hours before sending an update letter. For Secondaries, if given the opportunity to mention plans over the next year or activities since submitting, then this new experience is fair game.

Thanks! I have other shadowing on the primary, this was just my first ortho experience.