Shadowing an optamologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opt_princess

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is an opthamologist that works in my building and I was thinking about shadowing there a couple times of week on my lunch break since it so close. I am pretty sure I have no interest in opthamology, but I thought it may help my application some or I could get a recommendation letter from him. I aready work at an optometrists office and worked at another one a while back for six months. Is this a waste of time or would it help my application?

Members don't see this ad.

quick question: would it be ok to get a rec letter from an optamologist instead of an optometrist for an optometry program?

Should check with the website of your school. I'm not sure about others but for Waterloo it clearly states "letter from an optometrist".

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it would be a bad thing at all. In fact, schools will like to see that you have experience shadowing an ophthalmologist (check your spelling there ;) ). That way they know you've looked at both professions and know the pros and cons of both as far as how you feel about them and why one is better for you than the other. Good luck!

I agree that shadowing with one could be helpful, but if you end up deciding on optometry school specifically, it's probably recommended or required you get a letter of rec from an optometrist.