Shadowing an optometrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sam1366

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been shadowing an optometrist 2 hours per week. i've done this for 5 weeks, so i have shadowed for a total of 10 hours now. I get to do the pre-testing using the auto-refractor and the tonometer. And i also get to check the patients' depth perception. He is a very nice doctor and i really like shadowing in his office because i learn something new everyday, but at the same time i don't wanna shadow too much. I will need him to write me a refrence letter when i apply to optometry schools next year and I just don't want him to remember me as the guy who shadowed for ever and never left or even worst, i don't want him to tell me " ok can you please stop shadowing me already?". Because as much as i like to think that im helping out around his office my presence might actually be slowing his receptionist down a bit, because i have to ask the receptionist questions about how to do things around the office from time to time.
so do you think that's enough shadowing in one office already? if yes, how do i tell him that i'm not coming to shadow anymore? I don't want him to think i stopped shadowing because i was lazy or didn't like the office environment.
Or do you think i should shadow a bit more in his office?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think that 10 hours is too long, especially if you want him to write you a letter of reference next year. I think that most schools would like to see that you shadowed more than 10 hours as well (I'd say at least 20 hours and preferably in more than one setting). Although if you are worried that you are a "burden" (which I doubt that you are if you are only there 2 hours a week) then you could bring it up with the optometrist. Just say that you have enjoyed your time in the office but for him to please let you know if he is too busy to have you around or if he recommends that you shadow anyone else in your community. You are doing a lot for only shadowing 10 hours, most shadowing experiences consist of observation and not really doing much so it sounds like he is excited to teach you about optometry. I started to shadow someone once under the impression that it was a one time thing and it turned into 60 hours worth of shadowing because he kept wanting me to come back and learn. I guess what I am trying to say is decide if YOU want to stop shadowing (if so, just thank him and say that you are going to try to shadow in other settings or whatever you are going to do) or if you would like to continue with him (in that case just check and make sure that it is okay with him).

There are some practicing optometrists on this forum that will be able to better direct you on how to approach the subject of not knowing whether or not you have worn out your welcome, so hopefully one of them will give you some guidance!

First of all, what a great shadowing experience. I agree with the previous poster about just casually bringing up the issue with the optometrist. I don't think staying longer will read poorly to an optometrist if you are truly expressing interest and thanking him for teaching you. I think it is probably a good sign that this optometrist is giving you things to do around the office. Unfortunately a lot of students have the experience of just getting stuck in a corner and having to watch only. Thankfully I didn't have this happen much, and I'm glad that this isn't happening to you either.
Ten hours at one office is good, but it would probably serve you well (for admissions reasons and simply knowing the field) if you branched out and saw other offices. If you do want to stop shadowing this optometrist, I think just telling the optometrist that you thank him for all the experience and you are going start shadowing at other places to get more experiences. Many optometrists should understand this, one because they know that offices can vary ALOT, and two, because they probably shadowed many optometrists themselves. Best wished for all you optometry ventures to come!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have kind of a fuzzy memory, but I seem to remember at least one of my supplemental apps asking for the names of the doctors I shadowed and I seem to remember so ething about 30 hour recommended minimum. I have no idea if they meant with the same doctor or over all. I think it was PUCO.

But anyways, not all shadowing opportunities are as hands on as that. I had plenty of interns through my old office who just got to sit in the corner while the doctor refracted. Just keep speed in mind when you're pretesting and try to remember what the receptionist tells you and think of Qs beforehand to ask so you don't have to stop in the middle of what you're doing to get an answer later.

Thanks a lot for all you oppinions and insights! they were definitely helpful!

How do you get in contact with optometrists to shadow?? What is the traditional method in getting yourself in the door with shadowing doctors? Do you just walk in to the office out of the blue and ask? I'm kind of shy so can someone tell me how to do this?

How do you get in contact with optometrists to shadow?? What is the traditional method in getting yourself in the door with shadowing doctors? Do you just walk in to the office out of the blue and ask? I'm kind of shy so can someone tell me how to do this?

I suggest asking your own optometrist. You may be more familiar with them, and you are not just a stranger to them. My optometrist was nice enough to allow me but others may not be as nice. Do most other people get their optometrists through family connections? I found that approaching random optometrists not working out so well for me.

To the first poster: The doc won't think you are lazy. They know you are shadowing to see how the field is and what eye docs do. I shadowed one doctor for about 8 hours and then told him that was all I needed (30 hrs. was for PUCO and that's what I had to do). I just told them that I was going to shadow in a different setting and thanked them for my time there and asked him if he would be comfortable giving me a letter of recommendation for my application and he agreed. I would also recommend sending a thank you card after you are finished.
I think one way to help this is to give the optometrist at the beginning (before you start shadowing) an idea of how long you want to shadow in his office. I would tell the docs I shadowed that I needed about 10 hours shadowing time in their office and if that would be ok with them. That gives a reasonable expectation for them to work with. As far as how long to shadow in one office is up to the doctor. If you want to do more than you have, I would just ask the doctor if it was ok if you did some more shadowing (tell him how much more) and see what he says.

To sonlc1: I just called random offices and I did just fine. I had a doctor or two tell me their offices were just too busy to have me shadow them, but that was ok with me. Others were more than helpful and invited me in and even bought me lunch to answer my questions. I didn't have any doctors that I knew well at all, so I just found a couple of places that were close by my house and gave them a call. I usually had to leave a message with the receptionist as the docs were usually busy. I just explained to them that I was looking at getting into optometry school and I wanted to shadow an optometrists to get a better idea of what they do. I think every doctor that I left a message with didn't call me back the first time. I called back one more time if they didn't give me a call back, usually about a week later, in case they forgot (which was usually the case). If they didn't call me back the second time I would try a new doctor. I had plenty of observation time doing it this way.
I preferred calling instead of showing up to the office in person. I felt like if I showed up in person it would put them more on the spot to let me do it. If I called I think it gave them more time to think about it. Either way, if you are shy and you want to get into optometry, you'll probably want to think about overcoming that. It's a field where you need to take the initiative and get things done. Either way, I hope that answer helped and gave you some ideas on how to go about doing it.

Last edited:
wow thank you Oogilily for that informative response! I think I'll definitely start asking around my local clinics starting with my own optometrist. Yes I do need to overcome shyness but it's so hard...it's always a personal struggle I battle every day

Sorry, I didn't mean to be so blunt. You'll do just fine. You'll find that the docs that take you in are very accommodating and very nice. And the ones that don't take you in isn't a very big deal. Don't take it personally. Most of the docs just told me their offices are too busy which is understandable. So just try around and you will find several docs that will be happy to help you out.

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum so just wanted to first say thanks for all the advice and information you guys give.

I'm currently doing my undergrad studies at Waterloo, so I was just wondering if any of you had shadowed an optometrist in Waterloo that you would recommend.