Shadowing and chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldream88

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.....

After reading so many peoples posts about EC im kinda bummed. How important do you think EC's are?

I went on a summer service project in China where we taught english for three weeks, i volunteered at a free health clinic (about 30 hours) and shadowed volunteer dentists (about 15 hours) only to find out that those dont count because they would rather see "clinical volunteering." I've also done research for 2 semesters but thats all....

Can someone please tell me how they went about asking a dentist if they could shadow them? did you just call...go in....connections and what not?

I have a solid GPA (3.9) but I know that a lot of it is in the DAT. I'm taking that mid June. ANY ANY advice about EC's would be appreciated! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

just ask ur dentist, or call anywhere, no one really minds except for some old patients

I just called my dentist and he said I can come in to shadow.. I guess there isn't too much you can do about other ECs cause a lot of clubs/etc meet up when school's in session.. But I think you can go look for volunteering activities in the community if you want more of those on your app..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys.....

After reading so many peoples posts about EC im kinda bummed. How important do you think EC's are?

I went on a summer service project in China where we taught english for three weeks, i volunteered at a free health clinic (about 30 hours) and shadowed volunteer dentists (about 15 hours) only to find out that those dont count because they would rather see "clinical volunteering." I've also done research for 2 semesters but thats all....

Can someone please tell me how they went about asking a dentist if they could shadow them? did you just call...go in....connections and what not?

I have a solid GPA (3.9) but I know that a lot of it is in the DAT. I'm taking that mid June. ANY ANY advice about EC's would be appreciated! Thanks

I thought shadowing was crucial. I doubt many people would be able to get accepted without a tad of shadowing experience.

That being said, you can shadow a dentist full time for 2 weeks and that would give you 80 hours of shadowing experience. You would still be applying in June so your application isn't late either.

I would say Shadowing is probably the most crucial EC. Other things like schools clubs etc....just make your app. pretty. A good amount of shadowing and or working in a dental office is probably the best EC you can have.