• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Shadowing and Volunteering

abt-327-predent

Jun 25, 2020
  1. Pre-Dental
I recently just decided to go to dental school and I’m going to be a junior in the fall. I don’t have any shadowing experience other than going on a global medical brigade and was able to shadow the dentists there for two of the days. I will be going on a co-op (paid internship) starting in july till december as a dental assistant. Would that count as shadowing experience? also, what’s a typical number of shadowing hours and volunteering hours you would need?

S_Diamond_DDS

5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2015
  1. Dentist
Yes, it could count. 100 shadowing hours is a safe number in my opinion, since this will qualify you at 95% of the schools. For volunteer hours, there’s no required amount. The more you do the better it looks! I only had 20 hours of true volunteer hours, but I knew people with hundreds and many schools gave them major bonus points for their commitment to service.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.