Shadowing and Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

predental327

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently just decided to go to dental school and I’m going to be a junior in the fall. I don’t have any shadowing experience other than going on a global medical brigade and was able to shadow the dentists there for two of the days. I will be going on a co-op (paid internship) starting in july till december as a dental assistant. Would that count as shadowing experience? also, what’s a typical number of shadowing hours and volunteering hours you would need?
 
Yes, it could count. 100 shadowing hours is a safe number in my opinion, since this will qualify you at 95% of the schools. For volunteer hours, there’s no required amount. The more you do the better it looks! I only had 20 hours of true volunteer hours, but I knew people with hundreds and many schools gave them major bonus points for their commitment to service.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.