acetylmandarin

5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2014
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I'm a recent graduate, and I'm currently working full time, 5 days a week. I need some shadowing, and I think it's best I shadow someone in primary care. After calling a few offices, I've realized that many of them are 9-5 type offices. How would I go about finding a primary care doc who would let me shadow during evening or weekend hours? Are these types of doctors normally found in hospitals rather than private practices?

allantois

5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2013
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Primary care doctors don't work outside of 9-5. You might have to shadow in the ER instead

About the Ads

steve-o-matic

I got bars... not really.
2+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2016
TX
Status
Pre-Medical
How would I go about finding a primary care doc who would let me shadow during evening or weekend hours? Are these types of doctors normally found in hospitals rather than private practices?
Urgent care facilities are open evening and weekend hours. You'll find a litany of primary care physicians in these types of clinics. Call and ask for the practice manager and see if you can work something out.

Lannister

5+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Casterly Rock
Status
Medical Student
Some primary care offices are open for a few hours on Saturday mornings, look for one of those. Otherwise, ED is pretty much your only option that I can think of.

DBC03

2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2016
Florida
www.thegracefuldwelling.com
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hospitalists definitely work on the weekends. I'm not sure how easy it is to find one who is willing to let you shadow, though.

wholeheartedly

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2009
Beyond the Wall
I had to sacrifice some vacation time to do this during 9-5 hrs.

twentyeightmiles

2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2017
Status
Medical Student
My own medical system has an after-hours walk in clinic until 8-9 every weeknight. It's not listed under the "office hours" for some reason, but you might be able to call and inquire at a larger organization in your community. Even if you could do only ~2 hours a week, it would get you some experience.

About the Ads