Shadowing during non 9-5 hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

I'm a recent graduate, and I'm currently working full time, 5 days a week. I need some shadowing, and I think it's best I shadow someone in primary care. After calling a few offices, I've realized that many of them are 9-5 type offices. How would I go about finding a primary care doc who would let me shadow during evening or weekend hours? Are these types of doctors normally found in hospitals rather than private practices?

Members don't see this ad.

Primary care doctors don't work outside of 9-5. You might have to shadow in the ER instead

Hospitalist or ED physician would likely be your best bet.

Members don't see this ad :)
How would I go about finding a primary care doc who would let me shadow during evening or weekend hours? Are these types of doctors normally found in hospitals rather than private practices?

Urgent care facilities are open evening and weekend hours. You'll find a litany of primary care physicians in these types of clinics. Call and ask for the practice manager and see if you can work something out.

Some primary care offices are open for a few hours on Saturday mornings, look for one of those. Otherwise, ED is pretty much your only option that I can think of.

Hospitalists definitely work on the weekends. I'm not sure how easy it is to find one who is willing to let you shadow, though.

I had to sacrifice some vacation time to do this during 9-5 hrs.

This as well. I had been working 10 years and used very little accrued vacation time, so I used my time for that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My own medical system has an after-hours walk in clinic until 8-9 every weeknight. It's not listed under the "office hours" for some reason, but you might be able to call and inquire at a larger organization in your community. Even if you could do only ~2 hours a week, it would get you some experience.