Shadowing Family Members?

Started by twick853
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

twick853

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering if it's frowned upon to shadow family members? I do have plans to shadow a few different optometrists, however, I am just wondering how acceptable it would be if the majority of my shadowing hours came from shadowing a family member.

For a little context, my sister has been practicing for several years, and I genuinely enjoy spending my time shadowing her at her work (she obviously still takes her work very seriously even when I am there). I wanted to spend the bulk of my summer getting as many hours as I can that way since I am not getting much optometry experience aside from shadowing, but I am wondering if all those hours are going to "count".

If anyone has any experience with this I would appreciate the feedback. 🙂
 
I believe this would be perfectly fine. They do ask on your applications if you are related or close friends to any optometrists. I think they just do this as standard protocol for looking at your letters of recommendations. Since you are shadowing multiple optometrists it shows you have a passion and great exposure. I'm sure explaining how you were inspired by your sister would look good in part of your main application essay as well!

The only thing I can think of is it might be best is if you received your optometrist portion of your LORs from a non-relative. Other than that I say go for it! 🙂 It might be worth it to give one of your top schools a quick call and ask them what they think as well.