Shadowing for MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpottyGlassware

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I think you guys might be better able to answer this than the pre-MD forum: How much shadowing is enough for pre-MD/PhD applicants? I'm a junior looking to apply this summer. Right now I have a little more than 20 hours of shadowing. I also have experience volunteering at a hospice in my hometown (I'm not sure about hours, but I've been doing it on school breaks since the summer after freshman year).

I will probably be getting more shadowing in this summer, but I'm concerned that this may not be enough. I will obviously discuss my plans to shadow more in my application if need be. I know that research is the most important aspect of the MD/PhD application, and I have plenty of that! Just scared that I don't have enough clinical exposure.

Members don't see this ad.

50-70 should be fine (some go up to 100 but honestly it's not really necessary)

Reactions: 1 users
I did 0 direct MD shadowing. i volunteered at the hospital 2-4 hours/week from 10th grade through senior year of college though. I did some MD/PhD shadowing college, following him for a week to clinics and lab.

So I should be able to get to a more respectable number with some work the rest of this semester and over the summer... Thanks!