Shadowing importance for a paramedic applying to medical school

Started by arjusmc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

arjusmc

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As the title states, I'm a paramedic, on a path to medical school. How important is shadowing for those who have worked and trained under physicians? I have arranged some shadowing with an ER physician and with a family practice physician. I don't want to apply with none, however I understand the physicians role, which I gather is the purpose of shadowing. Would 36 hours be sufficient between those two considering my background?

Follow up question. Can I count hours on clinicals during paramedic school where we strictly trained under a physician as shadowing? We had a few with our schools medical director and I had one with an anesthesiologist. My gut tells me no but I figured I'd ask.
 
I think 36 new hours might be ok if they don't include the ER. So primary care, family med, pediatrics.

And yes, others I've seen have included paramedic training clinicals as shadowing. So I'd include that. So yes, include the old but get some new hours too.