Shadowing NMD Primary Care Physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suomi24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently met a naturopathic primary care physician (NMD) who invited me to come shadow him. I have around 65 hours of shadowing but have been looking for experience with a PCP.

Is there any problem with shadowing an NMD and listing that on the amcas application? All of my other hours are with MD's but I was just wondering if the NMD shadowing is acceptable for the app.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't. You wanna see what they do? Go ahead and see but don't list it in a traditional MD application. They're considered quacks.

Reactions: 6 users
I would raise my eyebrows at NMD shadowing on the application

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldnt put it but if you want the experience do it. 65 hours of shadowing is enough. I had 50 hours, about 10 with 5 different docs, and my interviewers were very impressed

Reactions: 1 users
You know what ND stands for right? Not a Doctor.

Reactions: 6 users
If I was hoping to group my shadowing experiences into one group in the Work/Activities section, what information should I put for organization name, start and stop date, and other required fields?

If I was hoping to group my shadowing experiences into one group in the Work/Activities section, what information should I put for organization name, start and stop date, and other required fields?

Reactions: 1 user
I responded to your question in the thread to which gyngyn referred you. You should have an alert directing you to the answer.

Reactions: 1 user