Other OT-Related Information Shadowing/ Observations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teacher84

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For my full time worker friends: Are you able to find shadowing/observation opportunities easily? I am reaching out to so many places and with my work schedule (M-F 7-4), I am finding it SO difficult for any place to accommodate me. It seems like the summer is the only option....but I just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions/alternatives. I would love to shadow weekends, but I am having no luck finding an opportunity. :unsure:

Members don't see this ad.

Finding observation hours is definitely hard. Most of my hours were at pediatric sensory gyms/outpatient clinics. They usually have longer hours, several therapists, an are more likely to have observation experiences. At least from what I noticed.

Reactions: 1 user
I shadowed at a rehab hospital during the week. Their main OT hours were from 8-4 M-F. However, I know they had Saturday OT hours as well. They had certain OT's who worked on Saturdays with patients who missed their weekly OT and had to make it up over the weekend. They were very strict with OT and PT hours. Patients had to get a certain number of rehab hours per week and if they didn't feel well/missed it due to dr appointment, they HAD to make it up on the weekends. So I would check with a rehab hospital. The place I went to was very flexible, you gave them your availability and they were able to match you with an OT/PT/Nurse to shadow. ALso, I was going to shadow at a children's rehab place but wound up not going because it didn't fit with my work schedule. Basically the hours were 2-8. She told me to come during those hours because that's when it was busiest because kids were getting out of school and could attend sessions after school hours.

Weekends will be hard to find a place, as they give most patients off on the weekends but I would check out rehab hospitals and pediatric OT.

I would also check out nursing homes, as they also do weekend therapy at times. (again, for people who miss therapy or need extra therapy).

Where are you from? If you are from my area I could help you out...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Finding observation hours is definitely hard. Most of my hours were at pediatric sensory gyms/outpatient clinics. They usually have longer hours, several therapists, an are more likely to have observation experiences. At least from what I noticed.

Thanks so much! I will definitely look into it where I am. If all else fails, I will just have to get my hours in this summer!

I shadowed at a rehab hospital during the week. Their main OT hours were from 8-4 M-F. However, I know they had Saturday OT hours as well. They had certain OT's who worked on Saturdays with patients who missed their weekly OT and had to make it up over the weekend. They were very strict with OT and PT hours. Patients had to get a certain number of rehab hours per week and if they didn't feel well/missed it due to dr appointment, they HAD to make it up on the weekends. So I would check with a rehab hospital. The place I went to was very flexible, you gave them your availability and they were able to match you with an OT/PT/Nurse to shadow. ALso, I was going to shadow at a children's rehab place but wound up not going because it didn't fit with my work schedule. Basically the hours were 2-8. She told me to come during those hours because that's when it was busiest because kids were getting out of school and could attend sessions after school hours.

Weekends will be hard to find a place, as they give most patients off on the weekends but I would check out rehab hospitals and pediatric OT.

I would also check out nursing homes, as they also do weekend therapy at times. (again, for people who miss therapy or need extra therapy).

Where are you from? If you are from my area I could help you out...

Thank you! I am going to check out nursing homes for the weekends, in addition to outpatient rehab facilities. I am in Philadelphia. I am scheduled to do my hours at Magee Rehab this summer, but you must fulfill 100 hours. I am also looking for other areas to observe in too. It is tough to find the time, but I need to make it work! Where are you living? Are you in an OT program yet? Thanks for the advice!

I was in this situation last year. There are definitely some nursing homes or rehab facilities that have weekend hours but getting hours in over the summer is totally doable. I know it seems overwhelming, but it is completely possible. I didn't decide to leave teaching to become an OT until last May. As soon as school got out for the summer, I started taking prerequisite classes and doing my observation hours. I'd talk to whoever manages the special education services with your school district. I was able to get observation hours at a summer camp run by some OTs. I also got most of my hours at a rehab facility and a few in acute care at a hospital. Once I started hours all of the OTs I met were really helpful in putting me in contact with other OTs in different settings. By the end of the summer I had 70 hours which I got while taking two classes and working part time. I had everything in order to submit my application by mid-september and was accepted into my top choice school in December. Good Luck to you! If you have any more questions let me know :)

I was in this situation last year. There are definitely some nursing homes or rehab facilities that have weekend hours but getting hours in over the summer is totally doable. I know it seems overwhelming, but it is completely possible. I didn't decide to leave teaching to become an OT until last May. As soon as school got out for the summer, I started taking prerequisite classes and doing my observation hours. I'd talk to whoever manages the special education services with your school district. I was able to get observation hours at a summer camp run by some OTs. I also got most of my hours at a rehab facility and a few in acute care at a hospital. Once I started hours all of the OTs I met were really helpful in putting me in contact with other OTs in different settings. By the end of the summer I had 70 hours which I got while taking two classes and working part time. I had everything in order to submit my application by mid-september and was accepted into my top choice school in December. Good Luck to you! If you have any more questions let me know :)

Thanks for your help! I am trying to keep my options open when it comes to where I can observe for this summer. I would love to get a head start though! I am traveling this summer, so it limiting my time frame! Of all times I finally decide to travel it is the summer before I am hoping to get into OT school when I have a million other things I could be doing to prepare. haha. That is pretty impressive that you were able to get all of that done! Good for you!! Are you starting this fall?

I second nursing homes, too. You could probably call the director of rehab to discuss something to set up. And there are plenty places you can call, so your options definitely aren't limited.

I did most of my observation last summer, so it is do-able. Another suggestion: maybe if there is a rehab hospital, you can put in a volunteer application now and see if they can place you in a rehab unit in the summer. Hospitals are sometimes hard to get a volunteer placement, but many times it depends on availability and schedule.

I second nursing homes, too. You could probably call the director of rehab to discuss something to set up. And there are plenty places you can call, so your options definitely aren't limited.

I did most of my observation last summer, so it is do-able. Another suggestion: maybe if there is a rehab hospital, you can put in a volunteer application now and see if they can place you in a rehab unit in the summer. Hospitals are sometimes hard to get a volunteer placement, but many times it depends on availability and schedule.

I am definitely going to check out nursing homes for sure. What area do you live in? Are you in school yet? I cannot wait to finally be done with this whole process...!

I was also able to find a SNF that offered me the chance to shadow on weekends and lately I have been volunteering on Sundays at a pediatric hippotherapy center where I get to shadow the therapy sessions as well. It is possible to find places when you work full time, but it is much more difficult. I must have called 20-25 places before I finally found places that would let me shadow. Good luck!

I was also able to find a SNF that offered me the chance to shadow on weekends and lately I have been volunteering on Sundays at a pediatric hippotherapy center where I get to shadow the therapy sessions as well. It is possible to find places when you work full time, but it is much more difficult. I must have called 20-25 places before I finally found places that would let me shadow. Good luck!

I am definitely finding it more difficult! But, I am reaching out to about 2-4 places a day in hopes of finding something who will take me!

Thanks for your help! I am trying to keep my options open when it comes to where I can observe for this summer. I would love to get a head start though! I am traveling this summer, so it limiting my time frame! Of all times I finally decide to travel it is the summer before I am hoping to get into OT school when I have a million other things I could be doing to prepare. haha. That is pretty impressive that you were able to get all of that done! Good for you!! Are you starting this fall?

Yes, I'm starting at Belmont's OTD program this fall. Already planning my move to Nashville from Chicago.

It's definitely a good idea to start planning for summer now, especially since you have a limited time frame. I can say, it was definitely a crazy summer, but it was worth every second. With a little planning ahead you'll get through it with all you need to complete your application in the fall! Good Luck to you!

I am definitely going to check out nursing homes for sure. What area do you live in? Are you in school yet? I cannot wait to finally be done with this whole process...!

It'll be ok, don't worry! :) I know applying is so stressful and the to-do is never ending!

I live in the Boston area and currently work full-time as a teaching assistant at a special needs school. However, I applied to schools for this cycle and will be attending Tufts' OT program in the fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
It'll be ok, don't worry! :) I know applying is so stressful and the to-do is never ending!

I live in the Boston area and currently work full-time as a teaching assistant at a special needs school. However, I applied to schools for this cycle and will be attending Tufts' OT program in the fall.

That is amazing! Good for you! How many schools did you end up applying to?

That is amazing! Good for you! How many schools did you end up applying to?

Thank you! I applied to about 9 - I looked mainly in MA and NY (I am originally from NYC), so that definitely helped narrow down my search. It's definitely a pricey investment, and you seem so proactive already! I haven't received all my decisions yet, but Tufts is my first choice and I am set on going there.

I feel like I should of done more observation hours, but it was always hard to figure it out. When you do it, it will definitely be worth it though no matter where you apply! I did only a summer of observation at this one peds clinic, where I thought the OT didn't really care I was there. But at the end of the experience she was kind enough to offer me a recommendation.

Last edited:
Ah I am so nervous about getting all of this done! I cant believe I am going to Europe this summer-----worst summer to travel. I will figure it out. Nine seems like a great number. I am from NJ, but only applying to one program there and then about 4 in Philly and two in NC. I am still trying to figure out where else to apply. The hours thing is definitely tough, but I will make it work. Im stressing a little about the GRE too. I was scheduled to take it this May, but I cannot even squeeze in study time between work and pre-req courses, so I switched it to September...I hope that doesn't hurt me. :)

Have you thought about applying to places in upstate NY? There are a few there, and cost of living is definitely cheaper than the city. One of the places I applied to was Sage College, who have a good program. They are near Albany, so about 2-3 hours from NYC (http://www.sage.edu/academics/health-sciences/programs/occupational_therapy/). An OT I worked with here in Boston said many times when she gets interns from there, they are down-to-earth and well-prepared.

GREs will be ok! It's so hard to review for those cause the material is so boring. Even if you study an hour a day, you'll get it done. I took in June and registered for it around march/feb, so you definitely have enough time to review.

Ah I am so nervous about getting all of this done! I cant believe I am going to Europe this summer-----worst summer to travel. I will figure it out. Nine seems like a great number. I am from NJ, but only applying to one program there and then about 4 in Philly and two in NC. I am still trying to figure out where else to apply. The hours thing is definitely tough, but I will make it work. Im stressing a little about the GRE too. I was scheduled to take it this May, but I cannot even squeeze in study time between work and pre-req courses, so I switched it to September...I hope that doesn't hurt me. :)

That shouldn't hurt you at all. I took it September 5th and submitted my application September 20th. By the time my OTCAS was verified at the beginning of October all of the schools I had applied to had already received my scores. Honestly, I was really nervous about taking it and was not really impressed with my practice test scores (nothing higher than the low 140s). I ended up just focusing on the most commonly seen vocabulary words (they were in the appendix of the kaplan book I was using) and math concepts I didn't remember and took a few practice tests in the two weeks before the test and ended up scoring 153 Q 157 V and 4.5 A. Study a bit at a time and you'll be fine!

That shouldn't hurt you at all. I took it September 5th and submitted my application September 20th. By the time my OTCAS was verified at the beginning of October all of the schools I had applied to had already received my scores. Honestly, I was really nervous about taking it and was not really impressed with my practice test scores (nothing higher than the low 140s). I ended up just focusing on the most commonly seen vocabulary words (they were in the appendix of the kaplan book I was using) and math concepts I didn't remember and took a few practice tests in the two weeks before the test and ended up scoring 153 Q 157 V and 4.5 A. Study a bit at a time and you'll be fine!

Ah, thank you thank you! That makes me feel SO MUCH better. I plan on studying a little bit each day, so hopefully I will be okay. Just need to get past all of these IEP's I need to write for work haha. How long does it usually take for scores to be sent? Six weeks? Or sooner? Thanks again!

Thank you! I am going to check out nursing homes for the weekends, in addition to outpatient rehab facilities. I am in Philadelphia. I am scheduled to do my hours at Magee Rehab this summer, but you must fulfill 100 hours. I am also looking for other areas to observe in too. It is tough to find the time, but I need to make it work! Where are you living? Are you in an OT program yet? Thanks for the advice!

Oh wow I am in Philly too. I shadowed at Magee, it was awesome!! And just so you know, you don't actually have to get 100 hours in. Maybe they enforce that for people who are doing more of the "volunteer" activities. As observers we are called "volunteers" and given a badge that says "volunteer" but we mainly just shadow. I did about 60 hours at Magee. Actually the OT I shadowed said you don't need to go above and beyond in terms of shadowing hours, as long as you meet the requirements and spread it out in different areas of OT, that will be more than sufficient. She said I could stay as long as I wanted but that I might get bored after a while lol. I received all good feedback from the schools I applied to. I was either accepted, offered an interview or waitlisted (temple and philly u) at all the schools I applied at. Looks like I'll be attending Usciences but I still have interviews and waitlists to hear from... so we'll see.

You will LOVE Magee, it was a great experience.

Oh wow I am in Philly too. I shadowed at Magee, it was awesome!! And just so you know, you don't actually have to get 100 hours in. Maybe they enforce that for people who are doing more of the "volunteer" activities. As observers we are called "volunteers" and given a badge that says "volunteer" but we mainly just shadow. I did about 60 hours at Magee. Actually the OT I shadowed said you don't need to go above and beyond in terms of shadowing hours, as long as you meet the requirements and spread it out in different areas of OT, that will be more than sufficient. She said I could stay as long as I wanted but that I might get bored after a while lol. I received all good feedback from the schools I applied to. I was either accepted, offered an interview or waitlisted (temple and philly u) at all the schools I applied at. Looks like I'll be attending Usciences but I still have interviews and waitlists to hear from... so we'll see.

You will LOVE Magee, it was a great experience.

Oh really?? That is awesome! Are you living in the city? I heard great things about Magee, so I put in all of my paperwork for observing, but they told me they would schedule me for the summer since I am a teacher. I am looking forward to shadowing at Magee! I am definitely applying to a few schools here in Philly! Did you apply to Jefferson? I still have to take one more class and my gre (and observe) and I should be good to go.....I am also observing an OT in my school now so that helps too. Keep me updated on where you decide to go!:)

Ah, thank you thank you! That makes me feel SO MUCH better. I plan on studying a little bit each day, so hopefully I will be okay. Just need to get past all of these IEP's I need to write for work haha. How long does it usually take for scores to be sent? Six weeks? Or sooner? Thanks again!

Oh definitely sooner. I took the GRE on September 5th and my schools received my scores September 22nd. My OTCAS wasn't even verified yet. Good luck with the IEPs!

Oh really?? That is awesome! Are you living in the city? I heard great things about Magee, so I put in all of my paperwork for observing, but they told me they would schedule me for the summer since I am a teacher. I am looking forward to shadowing at Magee! I am definitely applying to a few schools here in Philly! Did you apply to Jefferson? I still have to take one more class and my gre (and observe) and I should be good to go.....I am also observing an OT in my school now so that helps too. Keep me updated on where you decide to go!:)

I have an interview with Jefferson soon. I applied everywhere this app cycle. Out of state, in state. I was accepted out of state but I sent my deposit in for Usciences. I would prefer Temple or Jeff, but again I was already accepted at USciences and had to send my money in.

sb0106- I am planning on to applying to Jeff and USciences. I am not sure about Temple just yet, but might as well. I work with an OT who went to USciences....she had great things to say about the program! Are you still going to do the interview at Jeff?

I figured I would still go. But idk, now that I've paid $500 part of me thinks I shouldn't even bother. Idk. I mean I would prefer to go to Jeff, I honestly don't think I would ever get in though so that's why I'm unsure. As of right now I am going though. The more places you apply, the better. Don't apply to only a few schools and think that'll be good enough. It's getting more competitive and harder to get into schools every year as more and more people discover OT.