Shadowing question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mindcurious

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Often people will say "don't mention anything from high school in your app," but in all honesty it sounds silly when I know I've spent more time and seen more clinical settings than many who are applying to medical school

While in a program offered by my high school, I spent over 300 hours in a variety of clinical settings and saw a wealth of different things (FM, facial reconstruction, open heart, trauma, nursing homes etc)

Should I mention this, or would medical schools like to see more of what I've done in terms of shadowing during my time at university?

Members don't see this ad.

If it was a meaningful experience that contributed significantly to your passion for medicine, then include it.

What kind of a program is this? As far as I know, HS students are mostly relegated to observing from a distance. When I was a HS volunteer, the hospital forbade us from doing anything but observing. I even got yelled at for moving a pole down the hallway so how did you observe open heart surgery lol?

I'd include it but those adcoms would want to see if you continued with that or transitioned that experience into undergrad. If you did it for 300 hours, go back to that place during college and get a letter from someone.

Members don't see this ad :)
What happened in high school stays in high school.

Often people will say "don't mention anything from high school in your app," but in all honesty it sounds silly when I know I've spent more time and seen more clinical settings than many who are applying to medical school

While in a program offered by my high school, I spent over 300 hours in a variety of clinical settings and saw a wealth of different things (FM, facial reconstruction, open heart, trauma, nursing homes etc)

Should I mention this, or would medical schools like to see more of what I've done in terms of shadowing during my time at university?

Reactions: 1 user
The big problem generally is when you have nothing but this HS experience and try to leverage that in your favor for your app.

But in general, no, you're not supposed to include it in the activities unless it's something you've continued. Otherwise, great material for a PS.

You saw things. Big deal. That made you excited about medicine and you graduated high school and you acted on the excitement that was generated by your HS experiences. Okay, now tell us what came out of that excitement and how you have done things (not just saw things) that have contributed to your experience and maturity and why you are still interested in medicine and have developed the attributes that medical schools are interested in.
Frankly, every medical student will have the opportunity to see FM, facial reconstruction, open heart, trauma, nursing homes. Having done it in HS doesn't make you a better candidate for medical school than someone who has not done all of those things. However, every student is expected to have had some exposure to medicine and to have had some interactions (even if only verbal) with patients before applying to medical school.

Shadow as an adult. Your viewpoint is different now. If possible, see a day from start to finish to understand the length, complexity, and variety of things a physician does both with patients and behind the scenes for patients and for continuing education.

Last edited:
Only counts if you continued the program into college. Otherwise. Nah.
Ex: Continuing a volunteer activity from HS into college.

Addendum: honestly though, you should be doing enough things in college that they fill most if not all 15 sections for activities. You shouldn't even have space leftover for HS experiences.