shadowing question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

papermate

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a small question about shadowing. I've never shadowed a physician in a hospital before. The only type of "shadowing" I've done was work in a refugee camp and tend to whatever patients the physician was seeing at that time. Will this experience suffice? I plan on submitting my application this summer and won't have time to do very much between now and then.

Members don't see this ad.

That should be fine. It sounds like you got good hands on experience under a physician, so, IMHO, I would definitely use that as clinical experience.

Also, you still have a full semester between now and then. That's plenty of time to get some kind of experience. Spend a week or two shadowing a physician (only do it now, before MCAT studying gets really intense). Hopefully your course load is relatively light, so you might even be able to spend a day or two per week volunteering somewhere. But don't go crazy, grades/MCAT's still come first.