Shadowing Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KS123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To those who have shadowed doctors, what sort of time period was this done in? A few days or a set schedule over a longer time period? In your experience are most doctors pretty cool with allowing you to do this or do they see it as sort of a pain? I have a friend who's a family practitioner I'd like to ask, but felt like I might be imposing on him. I was wondering how most doctors feel about having people shadow them.

Members don't see this ad.

Most doctors are pretty cool with it. But i'm sure some will find it a hassle...as for myself, I just set up a schedule like on shift a week for like 2-3 months. Some people did more, some less...just get enough exposure so you have a feel for what that doctor does and have enough to talk about. As for feeling like you are imposing on your friend, i would say heck no! friends are the best to ask! That's what friends are for! A good idea would be to do a couple doctors if that is possible...a family practitioner/primary care stuff, some type of surgeon is pretty cool, maybe something that is more long term like radiation oncology...anyway just try to get a grasp of the different aspects of medicine...

I asked my family doc if he knew anyone I could shadow, and he volunteered himself. I ended up shadowing him one day a week for about 6 months, and I absolutely loved it. I was lucky-- this doc is a preceptor for UNC and Duke's first year med students, so he did the same program with me that he does with them (and he wrote me a great LOR). He told other docs that I was shadowing him, and they asked me if I wanted to shadow them!! :eek: Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to take them up on their offer, but it was so incredibly nice!!

What I'm trying to say is that in my experience, most docs don't mind having people shadow them. If they are unavailable/unwilling to have you shadow them, then they probably know a doc who can help you out. I liked shadowing for the time that I did-- I got to see some of the same patients several times and it was great to see their progression. Set up a schedule that will suit your needs and the doc you're shadowing's schedule. It was a great experience for me. :)