Shadowing - recommended amount of hours per visit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spotinho

Just trying to be useful...
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be starting some of my DPM shadowing soon and I needed some advice. Assuming the doctor has an open schedule to shadow (meaning at anytime), what would you recommend is a good amount of hours to shadow per visit? and what time during the day you would say is ideal? (my schedule is pretty open).

I want to be considerate of the doctor(s) and his/her practice, but also get a good feel for the flow of the profession and get the most out of my time there. I was looking around in the forums but couldn't really find a thread specific to the dynamic of a podiatry office/clinic (I only found a similar thread in dentistry).

Thanks in advance for all the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

I would always shadow morning to lunch twice a week with the podiatrist. Hours varied when shadowing other specialties, but usually only a half day.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

I will be starting some of my DPM shadowing soon and I needed some advice. Assuming the doctor has an open schedule to shadow (meaning at anytime), what would you recommend is a good amount of hours to shadow per visit? and what time during the day you would say is ideal? (my schedule is pretty open).

I want to be considerate of the doctor(s) and his/her practice, but also get a good feel for the flow of the profession and get the most out of my time there. I was looking around in the forums but couldn't really find a thread specific to the dynamic of a podiatry office/clinic (I only found a similar thread in dentistry).

Thanks in advance for all the feedback.
I always set a goal to shadow 8 hours at a time, but by lunch time I was done for the day haha theres only so much you can do while shadowing

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ask the doctor how long he or she would like you to stay. Staying too long may be intrusive and leaving too soon may be perceived negatively. Ask the doctor.

Reactions: 3 users
I got my first visit setup with a Podiatrist, yes! :). If you could advise me with the following, I'd appreciate it.

1) what did you wear for you shadowing visits? dress pants/shirt? I have a feeling scrubs would be a bit too much is not like I work there.

2) Should I bring a notepad/something to write with? What would you say would be a good idea to bring/to prepare for? I am shadowing a half day to start, so I am not planning on bringing lunch, just a water bottle.

Thanks in advance.

I got my first visit setup with a Podiatrist, yes! :). If you could advise me with the following, I'd appreciate it.

1) what did you wear for you shadowing visits? dress pants/shirt? I have a feeling scrubs would be a bit too much is not like I work there.

2) Should I bring a notepad/something to write with? What would you say would be a good idea to bring/to prepare for? I am shadowing a half day to start, so I am not planning on bringing lunch, just a water bottle.

Thanks in advance.
1) Ask their office. A podiatrist I shadowed preferred business casual while another preferred scrubs.
2) Don't bring a notepad or anything. Just shadow and ask questions when you're out of the room and the doctor doesn't seem too busy. Shadowing is exactly as the name states. You're a shadow. Just make sure you're not in the way or making his life harder

Thanks in advance.
1. I wore business casual to all of my shadowing places.
2. I had small note pad and pen to write any terms or other things they asked me to look up. Sometimes they asked if I looked up/read about certain products or certain things in medicine. Also, I used it from time to time to look up at my question list to ask a physician. I have been asking questions all the time. Sometimes questions rise while shadowing. Sometimes they ask if you have any questions - you don't want to look weird not having questions. For several ones, we had time to sit down at the end for like 30 minutes to have conversation. Make sure you have questions to ask and talk about. But, its just me.

Do NOT discuss income or anything financial. Do not ask any questions in front of a patient. I see no problem carrying a small notepad as long as you aren’t writing while the doctor is with a patient.

Do NOT discuss income or anything financial. Do not ask any questions in front of a patient. I see no problem carrying a small notepad as long as you aren’t writing while the doctor is with a patient.
Definitely no notepad in the room with a patient. I kept it outside or in his office.