Shadowing right before submitting AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleeplessdreamer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm applying this cycle. I will be taking the MCAT on June 1st, and my goal is to submit my primary application by June 10ish.

I currently have about 65 hours of shadowing (pediatrician, psychiatrist, internist) that I've done over the past 1.5 years. There is an ER physician I know who is willing to let me shadow him for ~20 hours in the first week of June. I also will have the chance to shadow the pediatrician and a urologist during this time frame as well.

My question is: will it look "bad" to have a relatively large chunk of my shadowing done in the week right before I submit my primary application? Like I tried to squeeze it in last minute?

I haven't shadowed much this semester due to school and MCAT prep. I won't be able to shadow much in the summer due to a research fellowship, so that first week and a half of June is something I want to make the most of.

Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm applying this cycle. I will be taking the MCAT on June 1st, and my goal is to submit my primary application by June 10ish.

I currently have about 65 hours of shadowing (pediatrician, psychiatrist, internist) that I've done over the past 1.5 years. There is an ER physician I know who is willing to let me shadow him for ~20 hours in the first week of June. I also will have the chance to shadow the pediatrician and a urologist during this time frame as well.

My question is: will it look "bad" to have a relatively large chunk of my shadowing done in the week right before I submit my primary application? Like I tried to squeeze it in last minute?

I haven't shadowed much this semester due to school and MCAT prep. I won't be able to shadow much in the summer due to a research fellowship, so that first week and a half of June is something I want to make the most of.

Thank you so much!!
Even if you didn't already have above-average shadowing hours, last-minute shadowing wouldn't frowned on.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had 40 hours only and just shadowed a doctor for 10 hours this past week. My other 40 hours were throughout the year. I don't think it matters. I listed them all under one activity though and broke them down in the description box.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think it would look bad because if you spend many hours per day with the doctor, you actually get to learn how a day as a physician is. I completed 60+ in like 1 month.

Reactions: 1 user