Shadowing summer before medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gavinator

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I've been accepted for matriculation at an osteopathic school for the 2016 entering class woot!

How helpful and beneficial down the line for residencies is shadowing the summer before medical school? I've only shadowed three doctors during undergrad (General Peds, Gastroenterology, OMM) I'm imagining that it will allow me to gain some kind of exposure to different fields but wanted your input!

Thanks!
 
So I've been accepted for matriculation at an osteopathic school for the 2016 entering class woot!

How helpful and beneficial down the line for residencies is shadowing the summer before medical school? I've only shadowed three doctors during undergrad (General Peds, Gastroenterology, OMM) I'm imagining that it will allow me to gain some kind of exposure to different fields but wanted your input!

Thanks!
If you're absolutely dying to do it, then go for it. I thought shadowing was uncomfortable at best, so do something fun instead
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think it would provide any benefit. I'd just enjoy your summer off if possible (if you're not working).

You can always make connections at your school over the first 2 years of classroom work to shadow physicians if you have a particular interest.