Shadowing summer before medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gavinator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been accepted for matriculation at an osteopathic school for the 2016 entering class woot!

How helpful and beneficial down the line for residencies is shadowing the summer before medical school? I've only shadowed three doctors during undergrad (General Peds, Gastroenterology, OMM) I'm imagining that it will allow me to gain some kind of exposure to different fields but wanted your input!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it would have much utility beyond helping you decide what you'd like to pursue in medical school.

So I've been accepted for matriculation at an osteopathic school for the 2016 entering class woot!

How helpful and beneficial down the line for residencies is shadowing the summer before medical school? I've only shadowed three doctors during undergrad (General Peds, Gastroenterology, OMM) I'm imagining that it will allow me to gain some kind of exposure to different fields but wanted your input!

Thanks!
If you're absolutely dying to do it, then go for it. I thought shadowing was uncomfortable at best, so do something fun instead

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it would provide any benefit. I'd just enjoy your summer off if possible (if you're not working).

You can always make connections at your school over the first 2 years of classroom work to shadow physicians if you have a particular interest.