Shadowing Surgeons

Leviathan One

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am a current high school student and was really interested in shadowing a surgeon. Particularly a neurosurgeon. Currently, . Would a neurosurgeon (assuming they aren't busy) allow me to shadow them for even a day if I am still in high school? If so, do you have any advice? Any personal experience stories? How was your experience? How should I prepare?
Thank you so much for your help! Dosent really matter the branch of surgery, however i am really interacted in cardio as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I think depends on the person. My father is a surgeon and one time close to my school’s job shadowing day someone called his office and said “I’m one of Ambitious Orange’s friends. Can I come shadow you?” and he was like yeah sure whatever without even catching their name. He’s used to having a lot of students of different types around, so it wasn’t a big deal for him. I think it helps to have some kind of connection to a person. I might see if your parents know anyone, even if it’s not super well, or if someone you know has a parent who is a surgeon to help you get your foot in the door. You could try cold calling, but I wouldn’t be surprised if you have to go through a lot of people to find someone who might let you hang around. I’ve gone and shadowed him and other doctors in his practice before and it’s been a great experience. My biggest advice would just be to stay out of their way so they can do their job and just take it all in. You don’t need to prepare except wearing the proper clothes (business casual or scrubs)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
From the last time you posted this type of thing:

So if you can get someone to let you shadow, its fine to do for interest's sake but realize you won't be able to count it as medical experience/shadowing on your medical school application until undergrad.