This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoctortobe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I created an account on this website specifically for this post. I am a third year Bio Psych Double major chem minor with a 3.8 GPA at my university. Over the past year I have been shadowing a trauma surgeon and absolutely fell in love with it. The doctor I work with recommended me to a pediatric ER physician. I emailed the doctor back in January, and it took until July for him to have a space for me to come in and shadow. I went in July and loved it! Hes a really great doctor and I learned a lot from just one time being there. At the end of July and beginning of August I went out of town for vacation, So I waited until I got back to contact him about shadowing again. Unfortunately this is where everything started to go wrong.

When I got back I emailed him and he confirmed that I can come in and work with him on the dates I asked about. But then my mom ended up having a heart attack the day I was supposed to shadow. He messaged me and said that is perfectly OK that i reschedule and just let him know when I can come in next. I emailed him with two dates in September that worked with my schedule and he confirmed it. But I ended up having to cancel because I had my huge OChem exam the next morning (I was supposed to go in from 11pm to 5am). I felt bad and emailed him a few days later for a date the next week, and he never got back. AGAIN luck was not on my side the day I was supposed to shadow. The rain here had flooded so bad that the major highway I needed to take was shut down... So I had to cancel again. In the email I was beyond apologetic and told him I would wait until mid October to email him with new dates to get through my exams and avoid anything getting in the way again. He never replied. I emailed him earlier tonight and asked if I could go in next Friday (the only time that works with my schedule). I am terrified that he is not going to reply to me, and that I am no longer welcome to shadow him. This year has definitely beaten me down, and everything happening is making a bad impression of me.

What do I do if I do not receive a reply by next Friday? My sister who is a nurse suggested I still go in. I really hope I still have the chance to shadow him but I am afraid its probably gone.

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed one great doc a lot too. because he was busy doc. Some days I had to cancel and some days he cancelled. I had to cancel some days due to exams to, but then I shadowed him on T-giving and X-mas days and he liked that very much. He was coolest and flexible doc I ever seen. He was fine with my schedule because he had quite a few students shadowing him as well.

I would still shadow him if he replies.

I feel annoying lol. I hope he gets back to me, I would love the opportunity to go in again. If he doesn’t I will most likely still show up. :) thanks for the reply and alleviating my anxiety a little bit lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!
I created an account on this website specifically for this post. I am a third year Bio Psych Double major chem minor with a 3.8 GPA at my university. Over the past year I have been shadowing a trauma surgeon and absolutely fell in love with it. The doctor I work with recommended me to a pediatric ER physician. I emailed the doctor back in January, and it took until July for him to have a space for me to come in and shadow. I went in July and loved it! Hes a really great doctor and I learned a lot from just one time being there. At the end of July and beginning of August I went out of town for vacation, So I waited until I got back to contact him about shadowing again. Unfortunately this is where everything started to go wrong.

When I got back I emailed him and he confirmed that I can come in and work with him on the dates I asked about. But then my mom ended up having a heart attack the day I was supposed to shadow. He messaged me and said that is perfectly OK that i reschedule and just let him know when I can come in next. I emailed him with two dates in September that worked with my schedule and he confirmed it. But I ended up having to cancel because I had my huge OChem exam the next morning (I was supposed to go in from 11pm to 5am). I felt bad and emailed him a few days later for a date the next week, and he never got back. AGAIN luck was not on my side the day I was supposed to shadow. The rain here had flooded so bad that the major highway I needed to take was shut down... So I had to cancel again. In the email I was beyond apologetic and told him I would wait until mid October to email him with new dates to get through my exams and avoid anything getting in the way again. He never replied. I emailed him earlier tonight and asked if I could go in next Friday (the only time that works with my schedule). I am terrified that he is not going to reply to me, and that I am no longer welcome to shadow him. This year has definitely beaten me down, and everything happening is making a bad impression of me.

What do I do if I do not receive a reply by next Friday? My sister who is a nurse suggested I still go in. I really hope I still have the chance to shadow him but I am afraid its probably gone.
While it sounds like a great opportunity, it seems that you may have lost it, no absolutes coming from me though. That being said, there are always other opportunities and so many other doctors that you could work with. If shadowing is so important to you, see if the doctor you work with has any other coworkers they recommend.

Also, if it bothers you so much about the doctor you've apparently insulted *joke*, maybe you could mention it to the doctor you work with; it may find its way to the doctor you emailed, maybe.

In the end, one doctor and this experience will not get you into school, and it sure won't put you into school. Try to create a web of different things that you're passionate about, and you''ll be fine. Your stats are wonderful.

Don't stress about the things you can't control, especially other people and their reactions.

Reactions: 1 user
Physicians are SUPER busy. I have a great relationship with a physician I shadowed and even they forget to reply to me sometimes. It is NOTHING unusual.

I'm sorry to hear about it. I had to follow-up with nearly every email I sent to a doctor I shadowed and got a LOR from. Doctors are busy, may open the email, and then have something come up two seconds later and forget.

Try again in a week or so during a different day/time. You went through a rough patch, and he surely knows you had to be there for your mom.

Find out if there's a nurse or someone that works directly with him and ask them to relay the message. That way you won't feel like you're pestering him directly and you can check back in with his co-worker and see what the status is. I recall having to talk to one physician's nurse once a week for three months to set up shadowing days so just be persistent. Like many said, they are very busy, people so try an alternate form of communication.

Hello!

I would definitely not advise just showing up if he does not respond. That would be rude and inconsiderate of his schedule. He might have a reason you can’t go in that day, or he may be afraid you’ll cancel again. Nonetheless, do not show up without confirming with him. The doctor I shadowed said I was welcomed anytime but still appreciated whenever I contacted him before every time I wanted to shadow. It might annoy him if you just show up without him responding to your email.