Shadowing vs Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parisg3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi -

I know that 'shadowing' is a really broad term and am wondering if there is a difference between having experience vs shadowing. PTCAS uses 'observation hours' so does this mean that I would not be doing anything hands on and just observing the PT throughout the day (and therefore shadowing)?

Is there an advantage for having hands on experience (volunteering or paid) or will having a PT sign/verify hours that you were simply there be sufficient? Is this requirement different between schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Observation hours are just that...observation, or "shadowing" if you prefer. That is across the board what schools are talking about. So, you don't need to be a paid aide or volunteer or anything, and I'm not sure that, that in itself would boost your application. However, building a rapport with physical therapists through volunteering or work will certainly be advantageous for your letters of recommendation and personal knowledge. There are differences between what is required hours-wise between schools though, so you would need to figure that out before application. Some do not even require observation hours, while others require upwards of 100. Additionally, you will need to get experience in various settings typically, such as outpatient, skilled rehab, inpatient. Typically if hours are required, the PT or facility you shadowed at will need to verify your hours on your PTCAS application when you apply.

Hi -

I know that 'shadowing' is a really broad term and am wondering if there is a difference between having experience vs shadowing. PTCAS uses 'observation hours' so does this mean that I would not be doing anything hands on and just observing the PT throughout the day (and therefore shadowing)?

Is there an advantage for having hands on experience (volunteering or paid) or will having a PT sign/verify hours that you were simply there be sufficient? Is this requirement different between schools?

Simply being there is enough. There isn't much of a difference to be honest. If the PT you are with has good ethics you won't be getting any actual "hands on physical therapy experience" as an aide. (In most states)

Members don't see this ad :)
Observation hours are just that...observation, or "shadowing" if you prefer. That is across the board what schools are talking about. So, you don't need to be a paid aide or volunteer or anything, and I'm not sure that, that in itself would boost your application. However, building a rapport with physical therapists through volunteering or work will certainly be advantageous for your letters of recommendation and personal knowledge. There are differences between what is required hours-wise between schools though, so you would need to figure that out before application. Some do not even require observation hours, while others require upwards of 100. Additionally, you will need to get experience in various settings typically, such as outpatient, skilled rehab, inpatient. Typically if hours are required, the PT or facility you shadowed at will need to verify your hours on your PTCAS application when you apply.

Again,, I suppose my confusion stems from how you mention that I would need to get experience in various settings. So by experience, you just mean being there and shadowing that physical therapist?
Thanks for your explanation but I think I'm stressing out too much and thus am unable to wrap my head around this..

Simply being there is enough. There isn't much of a difference to be honest. If the PT you are with has good ethics you won't be getting any actual "hands on physical therapy experience" as an aide. (In most states)

Okay, thank you for clarifying! I'm just really thrown off by 'experience' used in this situation