Shadowing...what do you do!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabadr10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in shadowing an orthopedic surgeon over the christmas holidays. My question to yall is....what the hell do you do the whole time? I imagine you could follow the doctor around for a while and see what they do, but wouldn't this annoy the dr. to death after a couple of days? It isnt like you could DO anything to help so what is it that you do? I understand this may be a ridiculous question....sorry

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in shadowing an orthopedic surgeon over the christmas holidays. My question to yall is....what the hell do you do the whole time? I imagine you could follow the doctor around for a while and see what they do, but wouldn't this annoy the dr. to death after a couple of days? It isnt like you could DO anything to help so what is it that you do? I understand this may be a ridiculous question....sorry

Thanks for any help!

I'd just follow the Dr. around and observe what he does. If he's allowing you to shadow him, he probably expects that your whole goal is just to observe his actions as a physician. I'm sure if he needs anything for you to help, he'll ask you. So I'd say just relax and have fun shadowing.

Its called shadowing, and not rounds, for a reason. You are a shadow to the doctor. You watch, be interested in whats going on and try not to mess up questions on "basic biology"

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the opportunity to shadow an orthopedic surgeon for a day and it was actually pretty boring...I just watched the surgeries and asked questions when I saw something interesting. Just watch what they are doing and maybe ask about anything the sparks your interest!:thumbup:

I shadowed an orthopedic surgeon as well, I actually found it pretty interesting. I just basically followed him around during patient visits and the patients were all pretty nice. Since I followed him for a few weeks, he would sometimes ask me what I thought the patient had, to see if I was paying attention. I know I wasn't really helping or anything but it was fun. I also got to see quite a few surgeries which were really interesting.

yea surgeries are always cool to see, i also shadowed an orthopedic surgeon and trauma surgeon as well. Try to shadow a doc in a specialty you find interesting, that way you are engaged and can hopefully learn something from the expereince!

I personally can't wait until I have eager pre meds asking to shadow me!!