Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rachmaninoff

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a question for all of you who have shadowed a physician. How did you go about arranging it? I am not in school anymore so I can't arrange it through them. I have written to several physicians in the area and haven't received a response.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hang around outside a hospital, and when you see someone in a white coat, just start following them...

seriously though I would contact local colleges to see who they do arrange shadowing with, or the local hospitals volunteer department. If you want to shadow a family practioner following up with a telephone call usually works better than just a letter.

Good luck

onwis

i would keep trying if i were you. i do not have any connections but just kept writing to different physicians in the area and found two positions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I shadowed my Dad's physician. Turns out he went to JHU and knows the interviewers for the WWAMI program at UWSOM. Plus it was an awesome experience.

Try to get a part-time position at a hospital. Or volunteer in a hospital, ER? I know at some hospitals, after racking in 75 hours of volunteer work, they let you shadow a doc.

Rachmaninoff! which is your fave piece? I LOVE piano concerto #2 second movement. :) :)

I'm lucky because I know docs from my ballroom dancing class. I'll admit it, yes I take ballroom...but it stictly 'cause the chicks dig it! I swear! lol :) Kidding aside, you'd be surprised what activities doctor's like to get involved in. I've met a couple through this social interaction. This is often a better approach than stalking them around the hospital. Get to know them outside of the hospital. I did and it's been a fabulous experience. If you can, try to become friends with them. Plus, I sent a letter to another doc about shadowing. He was an osteopath just for the record. He called me a week later. He told me that not only would I get to shadow him, but his colleagues...one of which is a thoracic surgeon, who by the way, performed a lung transplant that's only been done 15 times in the world! I was like WOAH!!! :oops: Writing letters and sitting tight is another way. Also, be persistent about it. Let them know your desire and it will take you far.

Good luck

For some reason, my pre-med advisor was very reluctant to give me any help in this field...so here's what I did:
I made up letterhead for myself on Microsoft Publisher with all of my contact information. I wrote a brief letter stating my career interests, academic background, and why I would be so incredibly grateful If I could shadow with ____. I included a resume as well. I found names of all of the doctors in my area via the phone book. I sent these letters and resumes to all I was interested in shadowing. After about 10 days to two weeks, I made follow up calls. Sure enough, a few of the practices I sent letters to had circulated the materials around the doctors in the practice and a few doctors offered times that I could come in and shadow. Conversely, a few of the places I called gave me the whole we'll call you back later run-around and nothing happened. But, I did get the opportunity to shadow two very good doctors by doing this, so I'd recommend this approach.