Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cmot

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm would like to shadow a doctor and for the most part know how to go about it from reading what others have said about it. The only problem is that I'm 17 and I was curious if there was an age limit bc of liability issues or if its just up to the doctor. Also I wanted to volunteer at a hospital but you have to 18 or atleast that's what they told me. Does anyone have any ideas where I could volunteer that would have a medical enviroment or do I just have to wait until I'm 18? Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Very commendable. I would say volunteer right now at a hospital and then when you are 18 go about shadowing. I know there are some liabilty issues to be dealt with. Perhaps your family Dr. would let you shadow him for a ocuple of hours? That would be your best bet right now if you truly want to shadow someone! :clap:

I've never heard of an age limit. You'll just have to call around. I did it(in a hospital too) and I'm only 15, so i don't think age will be an issue. Family dr is a good place to start.... :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Centrum, thanks for your reply. That has basically been my plan, but the only prob. all the hospitals that I have talked to say I have to wait til I'm 18. Any ideas or should i just be patient. Thanks.

I shadowed a pediatric nephrologist on and off for five years starting when I was 14 or 15, so I agree it's not necessarily an issue.

Wow, they hospitals won't even let you volunteer? That is quite odd. Every hospital I have been associated with has had at least a summer program for teen volunteers. Since you can't volunteer at all, I would say you might as well get in contact with a few docs and see what they say. You might get lucky, and hey it never hurts to ask. Prime physicians to ask would be friends of the family, ones that go to your place of worship (if you happen to go to church), and you might ask your parents to aks around for you. Good luck!

Originally posted by Cmot
Centrum, thanks for your reply. That has basically been my plan, but the only prob. all the hospitals that I have talked to say I have to wait til I'm 18. Any ideas or should i just be patient. Thanks.

Oh I'm so sorry. i forgot to tell you that you DO have to be a certain age to shadow in the E.R or O.R. I think the hospital I went to was 16 or something. I think you might just want to try your own dr or call around to other drs. :cool:

At the hospital I volunteer at, you must be 14 to be a junior volunteer. That means you sit at the front desk and usher people around. When you are 18 you can help out elsewhere...so there may be age restrictions. Just ask whoever you want to shadow to find out.

~AS1~

(Centrum, AS1) You're right there is a summer program but the lady i talked to said its very elementary, it wont stimulate your mind anyways. And the main prob. with that is that summer is now over, looks like i'll have to wait for my b-day. Thanks for your help.

Happy to be of service. Feel free to post any other questions you might have whenever they come up. There are a lot of people here willing to help.

What are some liability issues and how do you get around them?
Are there programs you can participate in (e.g. preceptorship programs where such issues are taken care of?)