Shaky hands?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wcombs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there! I'm a pre-dental student applying this cycle desperately hoping I receive an acceptance. I'm finishing up my senior year of undergrad, and today in my microbiology lab I was reminded for the umpteenth time about a concern I've had ever since I decided to pursue dentistry as a profession.

My hands shake when I drink coffee. If I don't drink it, I'm fine; but when I do drink the magical liquid that gets me through the day, I have a hard time keeping my hands still and find myself coming up with various homemade techniques to brace and stabilize my hands to reduce the shakiness the best I can. It was funny because my TA overheard my explaining the situation to my lab partner and she said she had the same issue, so I know I'm not alone.

I've wondered about this issue ever since I decided to pursue dentistry. In the worst case scenario, I could just avoid coffee on work days... but I love coffee and it does wonders for me so I would rather not give it up.

Does anyone have experience or advice with this issue? I have heard of taking beta blockers to reduce hand tremors; I wonder if that would work in this situation. Do you think I should consult a doctor for advice? Is that even necessary?

Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad.

It comes with practice and really, there isn't anything that prepares you for the hand skills you need in dental school.

Don't worry, you'll learn

I have heard of taking beta blockers to reduce hand tremors; I wonder if that would work in this situation. Do you think I should consult a doctor for advice? Is that even necessary?

I would look into it sooner than later. Shaky hands are not something you want to have to deal with as a practicing dentist. I know of a particular dentist who developed shaky hands/tremors and had to switch to an academic career.

Members don't see this ad :)
Propranolol.

Hey there! I'm a pre-dental student applying this cycle desperately hoping I receive an acceptance. I'm finishing up my senior year of undergrad, and today in my microbiology lab I was reminded for the umpteenth time about a concern I've had ever since I decided to pursue dentistry as a profession.

My hands shake when I drink coffee. If I don't drink it, I'm fine; but when I do drink the magical liquid that gets me through the day, I have a hard time keeping my hands still and find myself coming up with various homemade techniques to brace and stabilize my hands to reduce the shakiness the best I can. It was funny because my TA overheard my explaining the situation to my lab partner and she said she had the same issue, so I know I'm not alone.

I've wondered about this issue ever since I decided to pursue dentistry. In the worst case scenario, I could just avoid coffee on work days... but I love coffee and it does wonders for me so I would rather not give it up.

Does anyone have experience or advice with this issue? I have heard of taking beta blockers to reduce hand tremors; I wonder if that would work in this situation. Do you think I should consult a doctor for advice? Is that even necessary?

Thanks! :D

hi, I had hand shaking, went to psychatrist and he prescribed proponolol!:)

I'm with CMistry on this one - just stop drinking caffeinated coffee. relying on the caffeine followed by relying on a beta blocker (like propranolol) to curb the side effects of the caffeine can cause more problems that it solves. Just try and wane off the magic juice (or stick with decaf), and you won't have to worry as much IMHO. Best of luck! :thumbup:

Propranolol.

Dr. Pruett,

My internal medicine doctor prescribed me propranolol because of my anxiety issues. I recently stopped taking it and now, I have noticed that my hands shake a lot more than they used to. Is this because I stopped taking the medicine?

John

Dr. Pruett,

My internal medicine doctor prescribed me propranolol because of my anxiety issues. I recently stopped taking it and now, I have noticed that my hands shake a lot more than they used to. Is this because I stopped taking the medicine?

John

You shouldn't ask medical advice on these forums but yes. It is a withdrawal reaction that exacerbates the symptoms even more. Just wait a few days/weeks without taking the medication and it should go back to what it was before you started taking the medication.

A good finger rest is always necessary when performing anything with a drill. You'll definitely have some shaky hands during practicals just from the nerves of it all.