share a recipe!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Budget Bytes is definitely my favorite food blog! I love this vegetarian shepard's pie. I'm not a vegetarian but prefer to cook vegetarian meals. I don't miss meat one bit in this dish!

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2016/01/vegetarian-shepherds-pie/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone done cheese fondue and have a good recipe to share? The BF's birthday is approaching and I can't exactly take him out to the dinner he deserves. Homemade feast it is!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just made some awesome butternut squash and black bean tostadas! They were possibly the quickest, easiest, most delicious meal I've made. I mostly followed the recipe, but instead of tossing the lettuce with oil and lime juice, I just squeezed a small amount of lime juice on top and skipped the oil. I also made my own tostadas by pan frying corn tortillas in a small amount of oil.
Http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/butternut_squash_black_bean_tostadas.html
View attachment 195998

Woah. I totally made these a while back too. My recipe was a little different but overall, very good. Initially the flavor profile was weird but then it really grew on me. I also made a greek yogurt/lime drizzle to go on it.

I'd wanted a good old cast iron for a while; finally got one and I love it. Stove top, oven, open fire, the skillet fears none. Made a pretty awesome cookie bake in it the other week

Relatively easy pork recipe I tried and really enjoyed recently.

-Chop 1 onion and 1 bell pepper
-Heat olive oil on med-high heat
-Sprinkle old bay (~1tbsp) on pork chops. I seasoned with pepper and salt for a nice crust also
-Pan sear chops, 2-3 min per side. Remove and set aside when golden and wonderful looking
-Add in chopped onion and pepper and cook for 1 min or so.
-Add: 1 can of tomatoes and green chiles, 1 can of black eyed peas, 2 cups chicken broth, 1 cup white rice, 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce, another dose of Old Bay. Top with the chops
-Bring liquid to a simmer. Cover with a lid. Turn heat to low, wait ~25 minutes or until most or all of the liquid is absorbed. Enjoy. :cigar:

Lazy Lunch/ Dinner- I make up about a weeks worth at a time for dinners.
Lentils
Corn (canned works)
Tomato Sauce (canned works)
Onions
Peas
Garlic
Italian spice mix

Cook the lentils- I use red lentils, about 2x the lentil volume of water, if the water dries up and they aren't done, add more water

Saute the onions and garlic

Mix the lentils, corn, peas, onions and garlic, tomato sauce and spices to taste together.

Freezes well, reheats pretty well
Dirt cheap to make and takes about 1/2 hr

Lazy Lunch/ Dinner- I make up about a weeks worth at a time for dinners.
Lentils
Corn (canned works)
Tomato Sauce (canned works)
Onions
Peas
Garlic
Italian spice mix

Cook the lentils- I use red lentils, about 2x the lentil volume of water, if the water dries up and they aren't done, add more water

Saute the onions and garlic

Mix the lentils, corn, peas, onions and garlic, tomato sauce and spices to taste together.

Freezes well, reheats pretty well
Dirt cheap to make and takes about 1/2 hr
This sounds great!

I had the intention of following a recipe last night but I ended up just kind of doing my own thing. I was nervous to try it because I can't cook, but it turned out great!
Sweet Potato Enchilada Casserole
-3-4 sweet potatoes
-tortillas
-black beans
- spinach
-onion, diced
-broccoli
-pepper (I used jalapeño)
-lime juice
-shredded cheddar cheese
-enchilada sauce
-spices (I used garlic powder, black pepper, and chili powder

-Dice sweet potatoes and toss in a little olive oil, and place in 400F oven for ~25 min
-Spray a glass pan (9x13) w Pam
-Line glass w enough tortillas to cover the bottom
-Pour some enchilada sauce on tortillas and spread it out evenly
-Layer the black beans, roasted sweet potatoes, broccoli, spinach, onion, pepper, shredded cheese, and spices on top of the tortillas.
-Squeeze a little bit of lime juice atop the layered goodness.
-Keep layering to your hearts content
-Place Pam-sprayed aluminum foil over casserole
-Cook at 350 for about 20 minutes, then remove the foil and let cool another like 10 minutes or so
-Eat!

I basically was trying to use up some veggies we already had.. I'm sure about any combo of veggies you like would be fine. You could also add a meat if you wanted but it was very filling as is! I wanted to put some sliced avocado on top after it came out of the oven, but we didn't have any. That'd probably be delicious though!
Fairly easy and healthy meal that tastes great- enjoy!

*PS- I don't ever measure anything. Sorry not sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Crawfish etoufee: 20160813_214947.jpg
I follow pretty close to Tony Chachere's recipe:

Butter melted with smoked paprika
Cook 2 lbs crawfish covered in Tony's in the butter
Pull out crawfish and load in chopped peppers, onions and garlic
Return crawfish to the pot with 2 c water and some Worcestershire sauce.
Boil 40 min (or until simmered down)
Add a bit of corn starch mixed with some cold water to thicken

Serve over rice with a good beer or a glass of milk. Soooo yummy!

My hubby makes it with chicken sometimes. But that is blasphemy.

Reactions: 1 users
Crawfish etoufee:View attachment 208015

Oh and the picture is dark for a few reasons 1. Dark room 2. Purple peppers from our garden!

Crawfish etoufee:View attachment 208015

I've been looking for a good crawfish recipe!

Oh, and for the cast iron pan, I got this from Alton Brown, but my aunt also cooks chicken this way:

Butterfly the bird (less of a big deal with a good pair of scissors, do cut the hard keel out and flatten ribs)
Cover chest and inner side with butter, salt and pepper and whatever seasoning makes you happy. I do dill, garlic, thyme and poultry seasoning or just Tony's
Heat 12 inch cast iron skillet and turn on the broiler with rack about 8 inches away
Toss bird in hot pan cavity down (press flat if needed) cook until browning and crispy at edges (until it smells good, like 2-5 minutes, sometimes longer)
Flip to breast side down cook until lightly browning, about 5 minutes (and it smells good)
Place the whole pan under the broiler. Cover drum ends in foil if they stick too close to broiler this takes about 10-20 minutes. It will smell really good when ready to flip.
Flip the bird with tongs. Another 10-20 minutes.

Skin should be perfect crackly goodness, meat moist and perfect, and no waste from bird soaking in it's juices.

I've done this with a small turkey too. Very tasty!

I also do the salt cleaning of my non enameled cast iron:
Heat the pan on the stove top. Pour a tablespoon or 2 of large granule kosher salt in pan, adding oil if needed. Scrub/ wipe clean with a paper towel or rag. Repeat if needed.

I'll coat the back with oil and throw it in the cooling oven if needed too, but not often.

Last edited:
The tzatziki sauce: http://thefrugalgirls.com/2016/01/greek-tzatziki-sauce-recipe.html
The chicken I decided to make with it: http://reciperunner.com/greek-lemon-chicken-skewers-tzatziki-sauce/

Notes-
This is my second time making tzatziki sauce and I do recommend that you grate or shred the cucumber as opposed to chopping it as it helps it lose its moisture more quickly. I also used regular non-fat yogurt and the lesser yogurt to cucumber ratio of the first recipe and mine was more sauce-like than dip-like if that makes sense.

It was raining so I did not fire up the grill but sauteed and browned the chicken cubes in a skillet then added that, sauce, chopped red onion, lettuce, dill and feta on a pita and it was divine. :D

The tzatziki sauce: http://thefrugalgirls.com/2016/01/greek-tzatziki-sauce-recipe.html
The chicken I decided to make with it: http://reciperunner.com/greek-lemon-chicken-skewers-tzatziki-sauce/

Notes-
This is my second time making tzatziki sauce and I do recommend that you grate or shred the cucumber as opposed to chopping it as it helps it lose its moisture more quickly. I also used regular non-fat yogurt and the lesser yogurt to cucumber ratio of the first recipe and mine was more sauce-like than dip-like if that makes sense.

It was raining so I did not fire up the grill but sauteed and browned the chicken cubes in a skillet then added that, sauce, chopped red onion, lettuce, dill and feta on a pita and it was divine. :D
This sounds like a great recipe! I'll have to try it sometime.

Notes-

Yes sounds so good! Might get to it next week :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Need some simple sugar free desserts for a wedding in 3 weeks. Any ideas? I've thought about doing a fruit salad thing.

Need some simple sugar free desserts for a wedding in 3 weeks. Any ideas? I've thought about doing a fruit salad thing.

Pumpkin/banana bread. Maybe creme brulee

Out of curiosity, are you looking for sugar free because of someone's preferences or because someone is diabetic etc. and looking for some less sugar heavy options for dessert? I have some great diabetic friendly recipes if it's the second one.

Out of curiosity, are you looking for sugar free because of someone's preferences or because someone is diabetic etc. and looking for some less sugar heavy options for dessert? I have some great diabetic friendly recipes if it's the second one.
At least two close family guests at the wedding are diabetic, so I volunteered to supply diabetic-friendly desserts!

At least two close family guests at the wedding are diabetic, so I volunteered to supply diabetic-friendly desserts!
I'll dig up some recipes for you later tonight!

I'll also add that a lot of diabetic recipes you'll find call for Splenda which you should be careful with just to make sure there aren't other weird carbs in the Splenda itself (I've found that some of their products have other things beyond just the sucralose that individually may not be the best for diabetics to eat). I also wouldn't use the Splenda brown sugar in any recipes that need a lot of it because it doesn't measure out the same (Splenda brown sugar is sweeter than real brown sugar so you need less of it) so you either have a dessert that's way too sweet or one that's got real consistency issues.

Reactions: 2 users
At the store the other day I found a Campell's slow cooker pouch - Southern BBQ. I got one to try for my late nights when I'm too tired to cook when I come home. I used beef instead of pork but you literally put meat in the crock pot, add sauce, set for 8hrs, done. Really good :)

Yes! and not too difficult! I love the addition of blackberries. good choice :) i also really like that plate. so pretty! :) I also just really love lemon desserts.
I wanted raspberries and blackberries, but there were no fresh raspberries to be found. I also really love lemon desserts too! I thought this was super easy!

I wanted raspberries and blackberries, but there were no fresh raspberries to be found. I also really love lemon desserts too! I thought this was super easy!
Yeah I didn't find it too difficult, and was mighty tasty :) Raspberries would have been a good choice too! Next time :p

@TrashPanda or anyone. What are some favorite crock pot recipes

I don't have one, but I am planning on getting an Instant Pot when I move so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread! I also plan on finally posting a bunch of recipes on here when I have time... hopefully soon.

My two favorite recipes are French onion soup and root beer brisket, but I would have to write them out for you later when I have more free time because I usually just wing it when I make stuff in my crockpot so there aren't recipe links I could send your way.

Put chicken breasts in crock pot, add one jar of salsa. Cook for ~4-6hrs on high. Shred with fork. Eat as desired. Can also add a bunch of barbecue sauce in place of salsa for bbq chicken.
:hungry: Salsa chicken is the best, although I usually don't use a crockpot to make it. Chicken breast + taco seasoning + salsa + cheese + oven = my easiest and most favorite meal to eat

:hungry: Salsa chicken is the best, although I usually don't use a crockpot to make it. Chicken breast + taco seasoning + salsa + cheese + oven = my easiest and most favorite meal to eat

I like to use the crockpot because I can leave it plugged in all day while I'm gone and it keeps warm for me!

I like to use the crockpot because I can leave it plugged in all day while I'm gone and it keeps warm for me!
I usually do crockpot for chicken fajitas! I don't shred the chicken breast if I make it in the oven and it takes maybe half an hour of 0 attention in the oven to cook so I prefer baking it so I don't have to clean my crockpot lol

I was halfway through reading and liking these posts to realize that they were from 2009. Oh boy. Sorry old SDNers from waking y'all from an 8 year slumber.

Reactions: 6 users
This cream cheese salsa chicken is hella good. I usually serve it over rice and use frozen instead of canned corn (my friend's mom's recipe uses frozen)
Also makes a good chip dip if youre into that sort of thing and want a cheesy chicken dip haha (leftovers have been used for that purpose before haha)