share a recipe!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I usually do crockpot for chicken fajitas! I don't shred the chicken breast if I make it in the oven and it takes maybe half an hour of 0 attention in the oven to cook so I prefer baking it so I don't have to clean my crockpot lol
That's why I have crockpot liners

@Karabiner13 I was not home for long before I had to leave again and now I'm going to bed, but off the top of my head I really enjoyed the Salsa Pork and the Beef Roast and Carrots from the website I linked.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users

@Karabiner13 I was not home for long before I had to leave again and now I'm going to bed, but off the top of my head I really enjoyed the Salsa Pork and the Beef Roast and Carrots from the website I linked.
I keep forgetting to buy crockpot liners every time I go to the store so I just grumpily clean my crockpot instead.

Members don't see this ad :)

Completely understand the not being home long. That website looks great especially as I have a chest freezer (which is totally needed with having 3 roommates but now I'm really the only one that uses it)

Reactions: 1 user
My crockpot was graciously donated to my cause by my stepfather
I got mine for like $10 from Walmart during one of the back to school sales. But still.. only used it once- and that was to make queso for a study party haha. So I need to find and use recipes!

Recipe time! I still haven't gone through my collection, but here are some things I eat often or have been eating lately. All are fast, easy, and generally healthy. I only listed a few things from Budget Bytes, but that whole site is amazing.

I usually double whatever I'm making so I don't have to cook as often. Everything listed freezes really well, with the possible exception of the frittata (low-fat egg dishes can get watery in the freezer, but there are freezer-friendly recipes online). Most recipes either completely consist of ingredients I keep in the pantry or freezer, or just require 1 or 2 ingredients extra. All are very forgiving if you need to substitute or leave out an ingredient or two.

Here we go:

I mentioned shakshuka in another thread. It's an easy, fast, one-pot meal that works equally well as breakfast or dinner- poached eggs in a spicy (if you want it to be) tomato and/or red pepper sauce. You can make a big pot of the sauce, freeze, and then just defrost what you want and then cook the eggs in it. Here's one recipe where you put the skillet in the oven to bake the eggs (cover the handle with foil if it's not oven friendly!) and another where you cook the eggs on the stove. Results are really similar either way. Delicious over crusty bread or hummus.

This Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup is delicious on its own, with grilled cheese, or with a frittata like this yummy and low-cal spinach, feta, and tomato one (photos are crappy but it looks and tastes great). Pro-tip: bake a frittata recipe in muffin tins for an easy breakfast on-the-go. Googling "egg muffins" will turn up a ton of hits and you can customize with whatever fillings you want. Lots are freezer-friendly.

Another soup I love is this Chunky Lentil and Vegetable Soup recipe, also from Budget Bytes. It's simple but really satisfying and filling. My boyfriend likes it so much that even though he basically never cooks, he's been making it by the gallon and bringing it to work for lunch.

Easy Teriyaki Sauce plus veggies + protein + rice makes a nice stir-fry. I leave out the rice wine (don't have it) and the 1/4 cup sugar (tastes good without it). If you do like a sweeter stir-fry, here's a copycat for Panda Express's Orange Chicken. I do it much simpler- I mix up the sauce (usually in a food processor/blender so I don't have to sauté or chop) while I bake tofu at around 400 - 450 degrees so it gets crispy. I bring the sauce to a simmer on the stove, dump in the cornstarch/water mixture and then when it thickens (after about a minute) add the tofu (I also add sautéed veggies). Heating the sauce, then adding cornstarch/water, and then adding your protein/veggies is what makes stir-fries glazed and restaurant-quality instead of soggy. I usually keep some sauce and vegetables in the freezer for a fast meal.

Cottage Cheese Pancakes don't actually taste like cottage cheese. They're just a higher-protein and lower-carb version of regular pancakes. Excellent for brinner! I usually use ground oats instead of flour. If you have a waffle maker, here are some high-protein waffle recipes that freeze beautifully: one and two. Adding about a 1/2 tablespoon of oil improves the texture. I got an ancient waffle/pancake maker at a yard sale for $5 and it's awesome.

I made this Red Lentil Dal last night. It's much faster and easier than you'd think since you don't need to soak the lentils- basically dump stuff in a pot, cook for a while, and then do 2 more minutes of work at the end. I left out the cilantro and subbed cayenne pepper for the chiles.

I can't believe I almost forgot about this Coconut Curry Vegan Ramen. Don't let the word vegan scare you- it is so, so rich and satisfying. I do the mushroom and green onion toppings, use whole wheat spaghetti, and don't strain it. Really easy, and tastes better than some ramen I've had in restaurants.

Bonus: Definitely not healthy, but this Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel Pie only has five ingredients, could not be easier (no bake!), looks fancy, and tastes even better than it looks. I'm making it for valentine's day :love:

Reactions: 4 users
This is my go-to dinner:

Egg noodles w/ butter, salt, and pepper in a separate pot

Veggie stir fry - yellow squash, red/green bell pepper, small amt of onion, and I add mushrooms because I like them but you can put any other vegetable in it. Just add about a teaspoon (I just fill the cap) of olive oil, salt, and pepper.

Delicious if you like the natural taste of veggies, and most of these can be home grown in the summer so you can even have them fresh seasonally!

Low key jealous of all you super healthy people. Y'all are talking about what kind of vegetables are best in which dinner that you cook, and I'm thinking about how many chicken nuggets I should eat for dinner.

Low key jealous of all you super healthy people. Y'all are talking about what kind of vegetables are best in which dinner that you cook, and I'm thinking about how many chicken nuggets I should eat for dinner.

Last time I ate fast food, I had V/D from 4 am to 2 pm... on my interview day. NEVER AGAIN.

Members don't see this ad :)

I eat healthy 90% of the time so I can eat whatever I want 10% of the time. Frozen pizza, tacos, and chocolate chips straight out of the bag are also key parts of my diet, but I don't think anyone needs recipes for those. Also, butter. Every time I make a grocery list, butter is on it. I don't know where it goes!

Reactions: 6 users
I eat healthy 90% of the time so I can eat whatever I want 10% of the time. Frozen pizza, tacos, and chocolate chips straight out of the bag are also key parts of my diet, but I don't think anyone needs recipes for those. Also, butter. Every time I make a grocery list, butter is on it. I don't know where it goes!
I couldn't decide which one I wanted to reply with so here's both

paula_deen_butter.jpg

635837350381719817255127062_hrukw.jpg

I am convinced there is a butter gnome who lives in my fridge and he just takes sticks of butter as a gnome tax.

Here's a few of my current favorite recipes:
- Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie -- recipe calls for ground turkey, highly recommend bison (this is the recipe I dropped all over the kitchen floor and still ate...no shame) --http://www.skinnytaste.com/sweet-potato-turkey-shepards-pie/

- Fire Cracker meat balls -- super easy and makes a ton! http://littlespicejar.com/firecracker-chicken-meatballs/

- Mac N Cheese from scratch -- I use a block of smoked gouda and white cheddar (shred it myself) and mix with some butter and heavy whipping cream and some jalapeno seeds. Chop up some andouille sausage and saute it a bit with some jalapenos. Mix it all together and it's yummy, comfort food. Not healthy in the slightest, but yummy

I also make a pretty banging Buffalo chicken dip if anyone ever needs a fun party dish.

Last edited:
- Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie -- recipe causes for ground turkey, highly recommend bison (this is the recipe I dropped all over the kitchen floor and still ate...no shame) --http://www.skinnytaste.com/sweet-potato-turkey-shepards-pie/

- Fire Cracker meat balls -- super easy and makes a ton! http://littlespicejar.com/firecracker-chicken-meatballs/

- Mac N Cheese from scratch -- I use a block of smoked gouda and white cheddar (shred it myself) and mix with some butter and heavy whipping cream and some jalapeno seeds. Chop up some andouille sausage and saute it a bit with some jalapenos. Mix it all together and it's yummy, comfort food. Not healthy in the slightest, but yummy

I also make a pretty banging Buffalo chicken dip if anyone ever needs a fun party dish.
ezgif.com-0a69bd634d.gif

Reactions: 1 users
- Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie -- recipe calls for ground turkey, highly recommend bison (this is the recipe I dropped all over the kitchen floor and still ate...no shame) --http://www.skinnytaste.com/sweet-potato-turkey-shepards-pie/

I definitely made some buffalo chicken ranch dip for the game the other day and there is a high probability that it's going to be a large portion of my dinner tonight.

Any other fellow vegans here?!

No- I'm vegetarian, but an awful lot of my diet is vegan. If I had to guess, I'd say my dinner is vegan probably 5 nights a week on average.

Looking for recipes/have any to share?

Reactions: 1 users
No- I'm vegetarian, but an awful lot of my diet is vegan. If I had to guess, I'd say my dinner is vegan probably 5 nights a week on average.

Looking for recipes/have any to share?
I stand by this spinach artichoke dip and this cheesecake. Tested by meat eaters and they love it. Most days I usually eat junk vegan though due to time and laziness lol.

http://www.cestlavegan.com/2010/02/hot-artichoke-dip/

http://vegangela.com/2012/12/16/quick-and-easy-vegan-cheesecake/

But do you get the dinosaur nuggets