share a recipe!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lailanni

c/o 2012
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hungry vet student here :D

Anyone have a good, fast, and healthy recipe to share? I'm also interested in using my new crockpot without burning down my trailer. Leaving that thing on for hours kind of makes me nervous.

I'm a pseudo-vegetarian (no beef, rarely chicken and fish, eggs ok). But hey I'm open to anything! Except for mushrooms, bleech.

Members don't see this ad.

The only recipe I know is already printed on the side of the mac & cheese box, and milk + cereal hardly counts as a recipe.

This thread might be good for me. :oops:

Reactions: 1 user
Thai Spinach Soup

1/4-1/2 packet of Red Curry Paste (Taste of India)
1 Can Coconut Milk
1-2 Cartons of Vegetable Stock
2-3 Cups water
Salt/Pepper to taste
Onions
Olive Oil
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Carrots
Bamboo Shoots
Fresh Spinach Leaves
Chicken (if you so desire)

Saute Onions in bottom of large pot with a bit of olive oil until they are tender/translucent. Add in coconut milk and curry paste. Stir until mixed well, add in vegetable stock and water and bring to a boil. Add vegetables and reduce heat. Serve when vegetables are cooked to your liking. Add Salt and Pepper to taste. Before serving, add in a handful of spinach leaves.

For the easiest/quickest I buy all the veg pre cut in those bags in the produce isle :)

I do this recipe my taste mostly so you may have to adjust your stock/water depending on your personal preferences.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love Thai, I will try that soup without the chicken (veggie here).

Swiss chard soup is really good too. A friend of mine was making it last night and I got a taste. Start out by sauteing some onions and garlic, then add about a cup to cup and a half of merlot wine and let the wine reduce. Then add some water with one of those broth cubes. Add swiss chard and collard greens and simmer it for a while. We were thinking it'd also be good with chopped up potatoes. Mmmm, can't wait to make this myself.

Oh I love my crock pot!!!

I'm a meat lover though so probably any recipes I have would not work for you :(

I hear it is very good for cooking beans etc.

I have a good recipe for a lentil chili...somewhere...I can try to look it up

I love to cook, I would spend the same amount of hours researching recipes as I do studying for my GRE. I am most happy when people's bellies are full of my own cooking.

Try some of these website which I love:

www.allrecipes.com great collection if recipe that user's review.

https://www.figureathlete.com/readArticle.do?id=2418985 chicken recipe for the health nuts.

https://www.figureathlete.com/category.jsp?categoryID=70&pageNo=1&s=forumsNavTop More recipes for the health conscious individuals. Lean protein, low calories, without sacrificing taste and flavor!

When you're ready for dessert, make my favorite no bake cookies. Scroll down to the reviewer "Kath" who gave the recipe two stars (4th one down right now) and use her modifications to the ingredients. Yum!

Anyone have a good, fast, and healthy recipe to share? I'm also interested in using my new crockpot without burning down my trailer. Leaving that thing on for hours kind of makes me nervous.

I'm a pseudo-vegetarian (no beef, rarely chicken and fish, eggs ok). But hey I'm open to anything! Except for mushrooms, bleech.

French onion soup is a staple of mine. Recipes are everywhere online, from a basic "toss beef broth and onions together," to others with >20 ingredients.

Obviously could be made with a vegetarian broth. :)

Did you ever try that carrot cake? It's a winner!

I also have a good one for white chocolate raspberry cheesecake, though it does have eggs - 4 of 'em.

I'm making fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy tonight... mmm. A favorite even though it makes a mess. Trick is, add a little breadcrumbs and dry potato flakes to the flour for some extra crunch, and a bit of red pepper for some spice.

And the potatoes must be skins-on! Otherwise, no good! :D

P.S. Sorry lai, all my crockpot recipes have meat meat meat. :(

I actually made something yummy and healthy yesterday. I cut a spaghetti squash in half, took out the seeds, then put it on lightly sprayed baking sheet in the oven for 30 mins at 350 degrees. Then I sauteed 1 cup of onions and 1.5 cups of chopped tomatoes, along with one clove of minced garlic in a pan with some vegetable oil for a few minutes. When the squash is done, let it cool a little then use a spoon to scrape all of the inside out. It will come out looking stringy, like spaghetti! then mix all of it with the veggies (make sure they are still warm). Add 3/4 cup feta cheese and some fresh basil, and you're good to go! Let me know if you try that recipe and what you think! :)

Only recipe I know is one for dog treats lol.

Though humans can eat them, too, if you really like liver I guess.

Did you ever try that carrot cake? It's a winner!

I also have a good one for white chocolate raspberry cheesecake, though it does have eggs - 4 of 'em.

I would love to have the recipe to your cheeake and the carrot cake! They sound delish!!! :thumbup: :D

I actually made something yummy and healthy yesterday. I cut a spaghetti squash in half, took out the seeds, then put it on lightly sprayed baking sheet in the oven for 30 mins at 350 degrees. Then I sauteed 1 cup of onions and 1.5 cups of chopped tomatoes, along with one clove of minced garlic in a pan with some vegetable oil for a few minutes. When the squash is done, let it cool a little then use a spoon to scrape all of the inside out. It will come out looking stringy, like spaghetti! then mix all of it with the veggies (make sure they are still warm). Add 3/4 cup feta cheese and some fresh basil, and you're good to go! Let me know if you try that recipe and what you think! :)

Ooooh, that sounds delicious!! I'm not sure if I've seen that kind of squash around here, but I'll be on the lookout for it now! Thanks!!:D

TwelveTigers, I did try that carrot cake and it was yummy!! (I'm working in a bakery now and I've got a top secret carrot cake recipe that almost comes close. Cream cheese frosting is also my friend! :love:)

Members don't see this ad :)
My party favorite recipe for Kielbasa.

Ingredients:
Kielbasa
6 Pack Sam Adams Boston Lagar
BBQ sauce

Slice kielbasa into 1/4" pieces and toss as much as you are planning to make into a pot. Then add as much beer as needed to cover the majority of the kielbasa in the pot. Bring to a boil and cook kielbasa until the skin rips. I then pour off the beer into a separate container and add a bunch of BBQ sauce to the original pot. Mix thoroughly.

I then transfer it to a crock pot on low and add some of the beer back in while its kept warm until its served.

BUMP>

Anyone know any good cast iron recipes (dutch oven and/or skillet?).

BUMP>

I already turned off my computer for the night but I have a few ill share tomorrow. cast iron is pretty multi function- I make a lot of soups and stews in my Dutch oven even if they are for regular cookware or crock pots

I already turned off my computer for the night but I have a few ill share tomorrow. cast iron is pretty multi function- I make a lot of soups and stews in my Dutch oven even if they are for regular cookware or crock pots

Yes!! I look forward to seeing what you've got. I was recently gifted a whole set of cast iron but I'm not a very good cook and I'd love some ideas to get me started. I'm a big fan of soups and stews; if you've got anything beginner-friendly, I'd love to see it!

Heat oil in a skillet until the oil shimmers. Add chopped up onions and peppers, saute until close to done. Add chopped up chicken, when the chicken is almost cooked toss in some leftover rice straight from the refrigerator. Kill the heat, let the heat in the cast iron warm the rice through as the chicken finishes cooking.

You can also do this without the chicken, obviously.

Cast iron dutch ovens are great for baking bread in. I'm a fan of sourdough, myself. There are some great no-kneed recipes that mainly involve letting the dough sit for 18 or so hours without doing anything to it.

If you like meat, cast iron is excellent for browning then braising red meat, or for searing then roasting chicken.

Just remember to season your cast iron well, and don't cook any rhubarb in it! Or anything else high in oxalic acid, for that matter.

Not a cast iron recipe, but fast and tasty:
Drip Noodle Soup
Set 2 cups of broth to boil - I use chicken or vegetable, sometimes with a splash of soy sauce added. While it comes to a boil, lightly beat one egg and a splash of water. Mix in 1/4 cup flour till smooth. Add salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, mustard powder, and corriander (I put in a shake or two of each). When the broth boils, slowly drizzle in the egg-flour mix. Stir, scraping the bottom of the pot to make sure no noodle is stuck to the bottom. Immediately set whatever you mixed the egg and flour in to soak, because it will turn into glue if you're not careful. Enjoy the delicious soup. You can change the spices up to give it whatever flavor you want, you can add herbs, you can put all kinds of veggies in the soup if you want (I'd add them after the noodles). You can also add flavored oils to the egg-flour mixture or add splashes of sauce, vinegar, or wine to the broth to change things up as well. This is a very, very fast recipe and I never get tired of eating it. It's easy to scale up for two or three people, as well. You can change the texture of the noodles by adding more or less water to the egg-flour mix.

Yes!! I look forward to seeing what you've got. I was recently gifted a whole set of cast iron but I'm not a very good cook and I'd love some ideas to get me started. I'm a big fan of soups and stews; if you've got anything beginner-friendly, I'd love to see it!

Chicken Stew:
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
5 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
2 chicken bouillon cubes
6 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 cups medium-diced carrots (4 carrots)
1 10-ounce package frozen peas (2 cups)
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
1 rotisserie chicken

Remove the meat from the rotisserie chicken and discard the skin. Cut the chicken into large dice. You will have 4 to 6 cups of cubed chicken.

In a small saucepan, heat the chicken stock and dissolve the bouillon cubes in the stock. In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter and saute the onions over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until translucent. Add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the hot chicken stock to the sauce. Simmer over low heat for 1 more minute, stirring, until thick. Add 1 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and the heavy cream. Add the cubed chicken, carrots, peas,and parsley. Mix well. Cover and simmer for an hour.

Pop open a can of Grands Biscuits and enjoy.

BUMP>

I have an awesome Pinch-Offs role recipe for the dutch oven! I'll try and find it when I get home later today. They are delicious!

I loove to cook, even while in vet school I cook nearly every night. Alas, I hate to type so I don't want to reproduce my fav recipes here. But here are links to a few awesome dishes that I have made and loved, whose recipes are conveniently online already:)

Zucchini lasagna
Not quite vegetarian, but could be modified to use soy crumbles instead of ground beef. I made it with ground chicken last night-so good!
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/zucchini-lasagna.html

Crockpot chicken and black bean soup
Spicy and delicious. Again, not vegetarian, but you could omit the chicken and increase the black beans. If you eat shrimp, it would be great with shrimp, instead of chicken, added in the last 15 minutes or so of cooking (not all day with everything else or the shrimp would be rubber)
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/crock-pot-santa-fe-chicken-425-pts.html

Crockpot Turkey and white bean pumpkin chili.
I make a lot of soup in my crockpot:rolleyes: Also am obsessed with this chick's recipes!
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/crockpot-turkey-white-bean-pumpkin.html

Stout braised beef short ribs-using a dutch oven
http://www.rachaelraymag.com/Recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/dinner-recipes/stout-braised-short-ribs

Enjoy!

Mmm.Sounds good!
I make chicken parm with spaghetti squash instead of pasta. I mix the cooked and stringy squash with a can of tomatoes and pesto, then bake the breaded and pan seared chicken right on top of the squash, with some mozzarella.

I love love love my crockpot! I love a good home cooked meal but hate how long it takes to cook most things, so my crockpot is often my best friend.

BBQ Pulled Pork
1 pound of pork loin + 1 can of root beer in the crockpot on low heat for 5+ hours. Then drain out the root beer, shred the pork with a fork (it should just break right apart!) and mix in your favorite BBQ sauce.

This was great over the summer because it only took 2 minutes to throw it together in the morning and I could leave it to cook all day while I was at work, and have a hot meal waiting for me when I got home. I put mine on sliders with a little cheese, lettuce, and tomato. Delicious. :D

I use this vodka sauce recipe when I'm trying to impress someone, or when I just want lots of tasty tasty pasta all to myself. The recipe is super easy to follow (though I like to add mushrooms to it) and the sauce freezes really well so you can save the leftovers for a night when you don't feel like cooking!
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...-for-long-vodka-cream-pasta-recipe/index.html

First off, if you are new to cast iron, do some googling on care and cleaning. It's easier than it sounds! Most new cast iron comes preseasoned, so you shouldn't have to do much to get started. Don't ever soak it in water or use the dishwasher. Use the bare minimum of soap and don't let it sit very long. I use a plastic pot scraper thing to get crud off and then do a quick scrub with the back of the sponge and rinse with warm water until the water runs clear. That's usually enough. Stuff comes off easier when its fresh or off a warm pan. I only reseason every few months unless the pans look banged up (my dutch oven tends to need it more often, but its ancient and prone to rusty spots).

Foods to avoid- rhubarb, lemon juice, spinach, turnip greens, collard greens, etc. I had a dumb moment the other night and since the cast iron was already preheated, threw some turnip greens in for a quick sauté. BLECH! The iron made them so bitter it was nasty and I had to throw them out.

Cast iron is especially nice because it can go from stovetop right into the oven or vice versa. I do a lot of steaks this way when I'm too lazy to use the grill - pan sear on the stove and right into an already hot oven. I have a dutch oven, a large skillet and small skillet that comes camping with me, and they are probably the three most used kitchen items I have, with the exception of the crock pot. :)

Skillet- CORNBREAD. CORNBREAD. CORNBREAD. Eggs, pancakes, grilled cheese stirfry, potatoes, Fried chicken/steak/fish, etc. Spinach and artichoke dip, or crab dip or cheese dip. Seafood - I do tilapia/haddock/seabass/scallops with a little black pepper and a slice of lemon or lime added at the end. The other day I did tilapia with an avocado/tomato salsa in a chipotle lime sauce, all in my skillet :) Any recipe that calls for "searing" can be done really easily in the skillet as well. Just remember that when you remove it from the heat, it remains hot for quite a while.

Dutch oven - pot roast. soups, stews, and chili. I make a lot of turkey/barley/vegetable type soups. Sometimes I use chicken. Some times I use quinoa. Sometimes I use beans. I always use whatever random veggies are in my fridge. I never use frozen veggies and rarely use cans of anything, but that's my personal preference. I tend to lean towards whole/unprocessed foods for a good soup.

Some good recipes: Feel free to pick and choose ingredients to suit your tastes and your kitchen (IE, I leave out the yucky mushrooms. And I never have marjoram on hand and I usually add a bunch of other veggies)
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/hearty-barley-turkey-soup/

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2006/02/second-helpingsturkey-barley-soup.html - this entire blog is awesomeness with lots of great recipes

http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotchili/r/r80215c.htm

http://www.thekitchn.com/dinner-recipe-french-onion-chi-144744

http://iowagirleats.com/2013/01/30/avocado-mozzarella-and-bruschetta-chicken/ - another awesome blog

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/crockpot-turkey-white-bean-pumpkin.html - yet another good blog

Seriously - pick your favorite meal, google recipes, and give it a try! Most crockpot recipes transfer really well to dutch ovens because of the long cooking times on relatively low heat. You can look for reviews to guide you, and eventually you get a sense of what works/what doesn't. Don't be afraid to edit and make changes if a recipe isn't exactly what you want. I hardly ever follow recipes and have cooked very very few inedible meals haha.
If you like Pinterest, send me a PM. I've got a ton of awesome recipes saved on there. And if you have a particular type of recipe you want to start with, I'll try and find you a good one :)

ETA: Remembered some other recipes I've recently done in the cast iron
http://www.bakeaholicmama.com/search/label/Quinoa - scroll down to the mac and cheese recipe

http://www.eatingbirdfood.com/2012/09/healthy-pizza-with-a-cauliflower-crust/

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/French-Dip - a crockpot recipe that was super in the cast iron dutch oven

Last edited:

I've never been crazy about pork, but this sounds delicious! I'm definitely going to give it a try. My SO is a grade-A carnivore and I think I'm killing my soul with all my meatless recipes :laugh:

I have an awesome Pinch-Offs role recipe for the dutch oven! I'll try and find it when I get home later today. They are delicious!

Please do share!

I loove to cook, even while in vet school I cook nearly every night. Alas, I hate to type so I don't want to reproduce my fav recipes here. But here are links to a few awesome dishes that I have made and loved, whose recipes are conveniently online already:)

:cool: Awesome, I will add these to my new desktop recipe folder! That's awesome that you cook almost every night. I just don't think that I'm comfortable enough with cooking yet to not *dread* having to make a meal after a long day of school. It's funny because my dad LIVES to cook; his favorite way to decompress after a long day is to create mouthwatering food in the kitchen (and then eat it, of course). I hope someday I can get to that point too!

I love love love my crockpot! I love a good home cooked meal but hate how long it takes to cook most things, so my crockpot is often my best friend.

BBQ Pulled Pork
1 pound of pork loin + 1 can of root beer in the crockpot on low heat for 5+ hours. Then drain out the root beer, shred the pork with a fork (it should just break right apart!) and mix in your favorite BBQ sauce.

Wow, that DOES sound like an awesome summer dish. Can't wait to try it!

cowgirla, holy crap. I'm so excited to dive in. I'm probably going to try my hand at cornbread first. All the recipes look great!

As for cleaning, my dad gave me the full "Cast Iron Cleaning 101" --he's the one that gave me the cast iron set-- and I'm definitely taking it seriously haha.

Do any of you guys have any Le Creuset cookware? I've been pining after their soup pot http://cookware.lecreuset.com/cookware/product_3-1%2F4-qt.-Soup-Pot_10151_-1_20002_83073_10055 and am THIS close to buying a used one on eBay. It seems to me that since the cast iron is coated in enamel, it is easier to clean. Yes? Worth it? I feel like you're mostly paying for the name :rolleyes:, although I do have one of their tea kettles and she's my BABY :love:

Cast iron dutch ovens are great for baking bread in. I'm a fan of sourdough, myself. There are some great no-kneed recipes that mainly involve letting the dough sit for 18 or so hours without doing anything to it.

I'm about to bake so much bread. The NYTimes has an amazing no-kneed bread recipe: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html?_r=0
I've made it a couple of times with my dad and it was fantastic. Great with soups :)

I absolutely love my crockpot!! I have a chicken tortilla soup that I make all the time that you might like without the chicken. It's less than $5 too and I can eat off it for a couple days.

1 can black beans
1 can whole kernel corn
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 jar of salsa (I like the medium, but it makes the soup really spicy!)
1 large can of pre-cooked shredded chicken (optional)
Top with tortilla chips and Mexican cheese if you like.

I don't drain any of the cans, just plop everything in the pot and turn it on. Super easy!

cowgirla, holy crap. I'm so excited to dive in. I'm probably going to try my hand at cornbread first. All the recipes look great!

This thread made me hungry and now I'm cooking instead of studying for this week's two exams. Oops. Beef stew in the dutch oven as we speak - chuck roast, 2 zucchini, 1 white onion, 4 scallions, 2 red peppers, 1 tbsp minced garlic, 1 cup of lentils, 1/2 cup nutritional yeast, 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce, 1 tbsp. onion powder, 1 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp chipotle pepper and some ground black pepper. I'll probably end up adding other random spices later depending on how it tastes.

I don't mind cooking, I just hate buying all the ingredients :rolleyes:

anyone have tips for cooking on a gas stove where all burners have only 2 settings: 12 alarm fire hot and 5 alarm fire hot?

Hmm, depending on how confident you are and how much trouble you want to take, I would say look for recipes that use a double boiler (just put a glass bowl over a pot of boiling water). There are lots of sauces and fancy baked goods that pretty much only use the stove for that. The water will buffer the temperature. Likewise for recipes that call for boiling. You can also try recipes that want very hot pans for browning/searing and then transfer to the oven.

anyone have tips for cooking on a gas stove where all burners have only 2 settings: 12 alarm fire hot and 5 alarm fire hot?

I'm having the same problem too. I've used electric stoves my whole life, and now my mom just moved to a new house with a gas stove. I've found that being a lot more vigilant about watching and stirring the pots helps. Also sometimes I just turn the heat off entirely for a few minutes if I'm worried about things cooking too fast. Probably not the most efficient method, but I'm hoping once I get a better feel for the stove it will get easier.

Pesto Pasta Primavera :D

1. Sautee any veggies you like in a little bit of olive oil- I use zucchini, squash, mushrooms, bell peppers, broccoli, and cauliflower
2. Season them with whatever you prefer - I use salt, pepper, garlic powder, season salt and crushed red peppers
3. Boil rotini pasta - when done, add to cooked veggies
4. Add your favorite pesto to taste.

Voila! Pasta primavera. If you want to add meat, chicken would be good. I prefer sausage, but that's just me :) Also, this fed me for like a week.

Stir-fry would work great on a gas stove with a high flame, although I'm not sure of the availability of woks in the Caribbean...

Really excellent blogs and ideas.

Thank you everyone. I also recommend The Pioneer Woman's blog. Lots of good ideas, also.

I absolutely love my crockpot!! I have a chicken tortilla soup that I make all the time that you might like without the chicken. It's less than $5 too and I can eat off it for a couple days.

1 can black beans
1 can whole kernel corn
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 jar of salsa (I like the medium, but it makes the soup really spicy!)
1 large can of pre-cooked shredded chicken (optional)
Top with tortilla chips and Mexican cheese if you like.

I don't drain any of the cans, just plop everything in the pot and turn it on. Super easy!

I'm trying this one tonight! It sounds delicious (and inexpensive), and I substituted sausage for the chicken.

I love this thread! I made an amazing vegetarian chili the other night with what I had in my pantry:

1 green bell pepper chopped coarsely
1 sweet onion chopped coarsely
1 can kidney beans- drained and rinsed
1 can tomatoes, diced
1 can cream of mushroom soup
(Planning to add 1 can whole kernel corn and 1 can black beans to the next batch).
A bunch of chili powder, salt, pepper and garlic powder.

My pressure cooker is acting up so I just simmered it on the stove for an hour to so in a covered pot. I got a crock pot for my bridal shower and it took every ounce of my willpower not to drag it up to Canada with me. Cannot wait to use it- hopefully this summer!

I just made this the other night in my dutch oven and it was quite good: http://www.giverecipe.com/cabbage-stew.html
(note: This is pretty cheap meal but you must really like cabbage! I also subbed lentils and some chopped up tofurkey sausage instead of ground beef to make it vegan)

But as someone else mentioned, I make most of my soups, chilis, and stews in my dutch oven. I love that thing!

Really excellent blogs and ideas.

Thank you everyone. I also recommend The Pioneer Woman's blog. Lots of good ideas, also.

That woman is gonna make me fat(ter).

She ain't too far from here, either. I like that a lot of the brands she uses are familiar - makes me feel better when things match up and I know it's not some foofy NYC brand of whatever.

Veg crockpot lover here too. Chili is always a winner, and faux ground beef goes great in it. Slow cookers are also great for cooking beans, but there's a learning curve on it. Worth learning since dried beans are dirt cheap, and beans and rice is yum. Lots of great recipes on the web for these things.

For beans, I don't bother to presoak, but I do rinse. Cover with about 2 inches of water and cook in crockpot for about eight hours on low. It's best to do this the first few times on a day you'll be around, so you can sample the beans every hour until you like how cooked they are (all slow cookers are a little different). Just keep cooking those puppies until they are how you like them! If you want yummy savory beans, saute some carrots, an onion, and some garlic and add to the pot when you start cooking them. Or you can get veg bouillon cubes and add one or two when you're about an hour from cooked.

I like lentil soup in a crock pot. But one of my favorite easy recipes is to make some grains (rice, quinoa, whatever) in a rice cooker or crock pot and then add frozen veggies and cheese. You zap it in the micro, and you have a decent meal. Packs well too if you have an airtight container. Lunch!

I have an AMAZING corn and chipotle soup with radish, avocado, and cilantro garnish recipe, but it's a bit more involved and requires blending (immersion blenders are AWESOME). PM me if you'd like it :)

Veg crockpot lover here too. Chili is always a winner, and faux ground beef goes great in it. Slow cookers are also great for cooking beans, but there's a learning curve on it. Worth learning since dried beans are dirt cheap, and beans and rice is yum. Lots of great recipes on the web for these things.

For beans, I don't bother to presoak, but I do rinse. Cover with about 2 inches of water and cook in crockpot for about eight hours on low. It's best to do this the first few times on a day you'll be around, so you can sample the beans every hour until you like how cooked they are (all slow cookers are a little different). Just keep cooking those puppies until they are how you like them! If you want yummy savory beans, saute some carrots, an onion, and some garlic and add to the pot when you start cooking them. Or you can get veg bouillon cubes and add one or two when you're about an hour from cooked.

I like lentil soup in a crock pot. But one of my favorite easy recipes is to make some grains (rice, quinoa, whatever) in a rice cooker or crock pot and then add frozen veggies and cheese. You zap it in the micro, and you have a decent meal. Packs well too if you have an airtight container. Lunch!

I have an AMAZING corn and chipotle soup with radish, avocado, and cilantro garnish recipe, but it's a bit more involved and requires blending (immersion blenders are AWESOME). PM me if you'd like it :)

Loooove my immersion blender. I use it for pureed soups and marinara sauce all the time. Pre-soaking beans is a pain in the rear but it does cut down on the gas! We eat a lot of beans and there is definitely a difference when I use canned beans or don't get have time to do an overnight soak :scared: :laugh:

Oh my gosh immersion blenders are so amazing. So easy to clean...everyone loves mine. :)

Presoaking always makes my bean skins come off. I don't know what's in the water here, but it always happens and doesn't really seem to cut down on cooking time. When I do presoak, I also cook them in the same water to keep flavor, and that should not help with any gas-causing compounds, right? I don't seem to have too many issues with gassiness :p

Now split pea soup, on the other hand...o_O

Oh my gosh immersion blenders are so amazing. So easy to clean...everyone loves mine. :)

Presoaking always makes my bean skins come off. I don't know what's in the water here, but it always happens and doesn't really seem to cut down on cooking time. When I do presoak, I also cook them in the same water to keep flavor, and that should not help with any gas-causing compounds, right? I don't seem to have too many issues with gassiness :p

Now split pea soup, on the other hand...o_O

Huh, I never have a problem with the bean skins coming off. How long do you soak for? I usually do 8-12 hours (overnight). Then I always drain the soaking liquid, rinse a little if I'm not being lazy, and add new clean water to cook them in. I also usually throw in a halved onion, some garlic, and bay leaves. Depending on the bean, I cook for about an hour, adding salt in the last 15 minutes. These are basically the instructions I got from the Veganomicon cookbook and they work really well. I let the beans cool down and then freeze in baggies in 2 cup portions. I try and cook a big bag of beans each weekend so I always have an array of options in the freezer. Right now I think I have 3 bags of small red beans, 2 bags of black, 1 bag of black eyed peas, and 1 bag of chickpeas. :)

I just bought corn meal and buttermilk to make cornbread with. Gonna try my hand at cookin' up some gumbo later this week :banana:

Huh, I never have a problem with the bean skins coming off. How long do you soak for? I usually do 8-12 hours (overnight). Then I always drain the soaking liquid, rinse a little if I'm not being lazy, and add new clean water to cook them in. I also usually throw in a halved onion, some garlic, and bay leaves. Depending on the bean, I cook for about an hour, adding salt in the last 15 minutes. These are basically the instructions I got from the Veganomicon cookbook and they work really well. I let the beans cool down and then freeze in baggies in 2 cup portions. I try and cook a big bag of beans each weekend so I always have an array of options in the freezer. Right now I think I have 3 bags of small red beans, 2 bags of black, 1 bag of black eyed peas, and 1 bag of chickpeas. :)

This sounds like a winning option. I too soak overnight, but the skins start floating off in as little as a few hours. Maybe my beans are old. And in CO it's always dry as a bone so maybe they are...drier than usual?

Basil
Olive oil
Walnuts (chopped)
A slice of bread, ripped into crumbs
Salmon fillet

Blend the first four ingredients, making pesto. Put the pesto on top of the salmon fillet, add a few larger breadcrumbs on top for effect. Cook for ~22 minutes.

I forgot the temperature and amounts, but seriously, it's not hard! And not extremely expensive once you've bought the olive oil. One fillet lasts me and my SO over dinner and lunch the next day.