Shenandoah and Wingate Applicants 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goalseeker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone submitted their pharmcas for these schools yet? If so, have you been contacted about an interview yet? I was actually waiting on one of my professors to complete my LOR. I submitted all my application material at the end of August. My instructor just submitted the LOR on yesterday, so I was curious how soon you guys heard from the schools and whether or not they were already interviewing. I am soooo anxious.

Any feedback is welcomed. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The better question would be...

Has anyone submitted their supplemental application to these schools?

You won't receive an invitation to interview without a complete application on file.

Thank you! Has anyone submitted their supplementals and received an interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
For Shenandoah it says:
Please submit your supplemental $30.00 application fee at the same time you apply with PharmCAS. It should be mailed to: Shenandoah University, 1460 University Drive, Winchester, VA 22601, Att'n: Business Office. Please include your name, address and that you are applying for Pharmacy for Fall 2009.

I didn't do this yet a few weeks after I e-submitted I received an e-mail saying my application is complete and is under review. I tried to call the school but no one answered I keep getting an aswering machine. What should I do? Has any one else experienced this? Did you send in your supplemental fee?

I recieved that same e-mail and sent in a check to the address stated above about a week after I got the e-mail (which was about mid to late august) and got an interview invite early this week. Hope that helps!

Sent in my application fee a while ago (late August/early Sep) but haven't heard anything yet. Congrats on your interview invite Funny Pharm.

i turned in my app late august, and haven't sent my supplemental... but they called me today for an interview cuz my email was rejecting theirs. but bottom line, i got an interview w/ out supplemental fee. i'll send it out later this week

I just got an interview request with Shen... today. Think I'll be going to there November 1st one...

I just got an interview request with Shen... today. Think I'll be going to there November 1st one...

hey asianguy26, i think i'm going on november 1st too, maybe we'll meet. I had a question though, pharmcas says they tell you yes or no within 2 weeks after the interview... then u only have another 2 weeks to accept or not. that's not that much time considering the fact that a lot of the other schools don't even send out acceptances until december. pharmcas also says they considered deferred entrance. does that mean that if they accept you, you can say a "tentative" yes?

I'm sorry but I don't really know the answer to the question that you are asking. I would probably check with PharmCas for that...

I hear ShenCP has smaller class sizes... just wondering how small (actually like smaller class sizes). I'm taking a few course right now... they are like 300 people. Eh, I'll see... send me a PM or something... maybe we can share a taxi or something. (haven't made any plans yet)

To help answer a few questions about admissions to SU, I'll try to help.
1) Our Admissions Coordinator is out on a medical leave, so that may be the reason for the delay in responses. There was a temporary replacement for her announced in an email about a week ago, so hopefully things will move a little faster for now.
2) Our class sizes are a lot smaller than 300. This year, we have 69 students at our main campus, in Winchester, 4 at our Ashburn campus, and about 5 GW students who are 3rd juniors that are either admitted for next year or waiting for a decision (they are also at Ashburn). All of the professors know my name, and then names of most of, if not all of, the other students in our class.
3) Deferred admission means that if you are admitted, you can defer your entrance for a year under certain circumstances. One of my classmates did that, but it apparently does not happen very often. I do not know what circumstances they accept, but if you need to take a year off before you start for personal and/or health reasons and you have a strong file, then you may be granted deferred admission.
However, if you get accepted and want to wait and see what your chances are with other schools, then you need to decide how much your non-refundable deposit is worth to you. "A bird in the hand is better than one in the bush." I was blessed and accepted the first year I applied for pharmacy school, but I have classmates and friends at other schools (VCU, Howard, Temple) who applied to pharmacy school for 5 years, every year, consistantly working to improve their PCAT scores, taking add'l classes, etc before they got in. So it's up to you how much you want a spot in the class of 2013, and how much you want to get into your "ideal" school.
Hope this helps!

am I missing something? send in supplemental? I sent in the supplemental fee, but where is the supplemental form? thought they didn't have one.

Members don't see this ad :)
am I missing something? send in supplemental? I sent in the supplemental fee, but where is the supplemental form? thought they didn't have one.

There is no supp. application form. From Shenandoah's web site:

Please submit your supplemental $30.00 application fee at the same time you apply with PharmCAS. It should be mailed to: Shenandoah University, 1460 University Drive, Winchester, VA 22601, Att'n: Business Office. Please include your name, address and that you are applying for Pharmacy for Fall 2009.

There is no supp. application form. From Shenandoah's web site:

okay that's what I thought, was a bit confused by all the statements about sending supplemental.

So i decided in the end to go for my interview on the 24th of october so i wouldn't miss too many classes. anyone else going on that date? I'm going to drive to NOVA on the 23rd and stay at my parent's house and leave really early in the morning for the 24th, hoping that traffic doesn't prevent me from getting to the 10AM class i wanted to sit in on. Also, does anyone have suggestions, tips etc?

Just got an interview invite today. Apparently they tried to contact me previously, but it was never received in my e-mail. Weird. Anywho, gotta figure out when I can interview now. :D

Wow, congrats to all of you that have received interviews. Have you all taken the PCAT? I take the exam this Saturday, so we shall see. Take are and thanks for the updates.

I submitted my pharmCAS on 8/28.
Shenandoah confirmed that they received my application on 9/11.
I got my interview invitation on 10/2.
I'm scheduled to go interview with them on 10/27.

I did not apply for early decision.

Hope this helps in terms of approximate time frame for each process.
Good Luck!!

Last edited:
Has anyone here gone to Shenandoah U as an undergraduate doing Pre-Pharmacy? Would that increase your chances for their Pharmacy School? Im still a senior in high school, and I'm considering Shenandoah.

Has anyone here gone to Shenandoah U as an undergraduate doing Pre-Pharmacy? Would that increase your chances for their Pharmacy School? Im still a senior in high school, and I'm considering Shenandoah.

I have a few classmates who did the 0-6 route, and one or two who have gone the 3-4 route (3 yrs undergrad, then b.s. after p1 year). It increases your chances of having exactly what classes they require, but you still have to take the PCAT, have a good GPA, interview, etc. I do not think it helps significantly, if at all, but it probably doesn't hurt either if you're a solid student.

I gotta agree with Rosestar in that I don't see any real benefits from anyone doing the 0-6 program. It's very fast-paced, you hardly retain anything you learn and, most of all, you lose out on the whole college experience. There's too much life to stress yourself out that much by going through this type of program. It still requires you to have a pretty decent GPA (~3.5) in college courses and this is hard in itself (i'm sure people struggle just getting 3.2); lots of students dont' usually transition well from high school to college.

Last edited:
Is in anyone going to an interview on or around Nov. 3rd that wants to get together for the afternoon? I think it'd be fun to get everyone who's interviewing together for dinner to just hangout. Sure beats staring at the walls of your hotel room wondering what the hell those noises are that are coming from next door. :scared: If anyone expresses any interest, I'll arrange for a tantative meeting place/time.

To those that applied to Shenandoah, maybe you can help me out. I applied about a month ago, but got a letter today saying they may be awaiting the following information, then it lists the university I went to. I submitted the fee and PharmCAS (PharmCAS has all my stuff), does this mean we also have to send a transcript directly to them. I will call over there tomorrow, but just wanted to check and see if anybody else can help.

Has anyone submitted their pharmcas for these schools yet? If so, have you been contacted about an interview yet? I was actually waiting on one of my professors to complete my LOR. I submitted all my application material at the end of August. My instructor just submitted the LOR on yesterday, so I was curious how soon you guys heard from the schools and whether or not they were already interviewing. I am soooo anxious.

yea... they sent me that too... on the 20th. and i went to my interview on the 24th. i have no idea. i emailed them tho. will post when i get a response.

yea... they sent me that too... on the 20th. and i went to my interview on the 24th. i have no idea. i emailed them tho. will post when i get a response.
mine was dated the 20th as well. I think it's just some random e-mailer they send out, but it sure does confuse me. When did you submit pharmCAS if you don't mind me asking? Also, how did they notify you of an interview invite?

mine was dated the 20th as well. I think it's just some random e-mailer they send out, but it sure does confuse me. When did you submit pharmCAS if you don't mind me asking? Also, how did they notify you of an interview invite?

pharmcas sent it out on 9/29... and shenandoah called me i think 2nd week of october. however, they said they had been trying to email me the invite to interview for awhile... but kept getting the email sent back to them. don't know why, but they eventually called and started using my other email. don't worry, the interview is really lax compared to the other one i've been too... and that one wasn't too bad either. good luck :D

Is in anyone going to an interview on or around Nov. 3rd that wants to get together for the afternoon? I think it'd be fun to get everyone who's interviewing together for dinner to just hangout. Sure beats staring at the walls of your hotel room wondering what the hell those noises are that are coming from next door. :scared: If anyone expresses any interest, I'll arrange for a tantative meeting place/time.

No biters, huh? K, let's try a different question. Anyone here that's interviewing at Shenandoah going to be in town on November 3rd around 2PM?

so... Amanda Keach got back to me and said to ignore it. Apparently, they did send out a bunch of letters by accident. You might want to check with them to make sure that your file is complete, but that letter was an accident.

thank you, I got the same letter yesterday.

I understand that Shenandoah is on rolling-admissions. I was thinking of applying there, but my PCAT is below their cutoff and I am going to take it again in January. Assuming I do well, should I even bother to apply (increased competition)? Should I apply now, even with my bad PCAT?

I understand that Shenandoah is on rolling-admissions. I was thinking of applying there, but my PCAT is below their cutoff and I am going to take it again in January. Assuming I do well, should I even bother to apply (increased competition)? Should I apply now, even with my bad PCAT?

How much below the cutoff does your score stand, if I may ask.
From what I have seen around me, Shenandoah strictly adheres to their cutoff policy. Minimum PCAT: 60% composite is on their website.
I'm not discouraging you from applying now, how are your other stats? A very strong GPA? extracurriculars? work at a pharmacy? All these things may help make up for a weaker PCAT.
But if your PCAT is really below the cutoff, you should take it again, hope this helps any, and good luck!

When i went into my interview... i ended up talking about PCATs with one of the admin there and she had said how it's sad that they had to reject a lot of applicants because of their pcat scores. so... take it again and hopefully you'll be fine. it is rolling, and you'd still have a chance later in the app cycle if your other stats are ok.

My other stats are pretty good I think. Overall GPA 3.47 (3.5+ by end of fall semester hopefully), over 3 years of pharm volunteering and just started as a tech, great LORs, organizer of pre-pharm club, etc.

But yes I am below their 60% minimum. I'll take it again in January, but it cuts it close to their Feb 2nd deadline.

so... just everyone knows, i went on my interview on friday the 24th... and they already told me today that i got in. they are really fast. still waiting on other schools, so i don't know for sure yet, but wish everyone the best

any of you all know if PCAT changes your percentages on the PCAT exam from year-to-year? I got an email from one of the committee members at SU asking me about my PCAT scores and the scores she told me they had on file were different than the scores that were mailed to me from the 06/07 and 10/07 exams. The trends on the scores for each of the sections were very similar, but the scores were different and, for the most past, were lower! Any comments?

any of you all know if PCAT changes your percentages on the PCAT exam from year-to-year? I got an email from one of the committee members at SU asking me about my PCAT scores and the scores she told me they had on file were different than the scores that were mailed to me from the 06/07 and 10/07 exams. The trends on the scores for each of the sections were very similar, but the scores were different and, for the most past, were lower! Any comments?

Your PCAT scores will not change once they have been graded. The only thing that will change from time to time (and it is not from year to year) is the normal group to which you are compared against.

There is a problem somewhere. You may want to contact Pearson and see if they can help you at all. It could be that SU has placed the wrong applicant's scores on your application. Whatever has happened, it is very weird.

Found this:

All percentile ranks are based on the 2007 norms (see Appendix A, “Sample
Personal Score Report”). Percentile ranks earned before June 2008 (when the
2007 percentile ranks were introduced) have been converted to equivalent 2007​
percentile ranks.

Because of the above statement, my PCAT percentages from 06/07 and 10/07 have changed, and unfortunately, not for the better for me.

Found this:

All percentile ranks are based on the 2007 norms (see Appendix A, “Sample
Personal Score Report”). Percentile ranks earned before June 2008 (when the
2007 percentile ranks were introduced) have been converted to equivalent 2007
percentile ranks.

Because of the above statement, my PCAT percentages from 06/07 and 10/07 have changed, and unfortunately, not for the better for me.

Where did you find this?

Nevermind, I found it. I'll put my investigative research hat on for ya!

http://pearsonassess.com/hai/images...IB_Sections/PCAT08_CIB_Final-After.pdf#page=1 Page 19

I bet there are a good bit of applicants out there that do not even know their percentiles have been changed, and unfortunately for most, the percentages have likely decreased due to increased competitiveness. Also, some people may have percentiles that now do not meet the cut offs for certain schools that they have applied to, when they thought that they were OK.

This is certainly interesting. I didn't think they could adjust your scores. I'm considering requesting a duplicate personal score report on my 10/07 test to see if it actually has been adjusted.

It's not really your score per se that is changing, it is your Percentile that changes because it is now being compared to a new "norm" or curve, however you want to look at it. I think this is a big deal though because schools look at the percentages and that it how they perceive and evaluate your PCAT performance for the most part. I hate it for people that maybe had a 70-75 percentile that got changed to lower than 70 when compared to the new norm. SOme people may not even be eligible to apply to some schools without even knowing it. Keep in mind this only affects Pre-June 08 tests, but I wonder how often they reevaluate the norm.

That's what I am interested in seeing, the percentiles - which should be listed on a duplicate personal score report.

You are right, it would be interesting to see how many people are now no longer eligible to apply based on cut-off levels.

Jumping on a plane to Shenandoah first thing tomorrow morning. Wish me luck!! :scared: :eek: :D

Hi. I just got the famous email from Shenandoah saying that my application is under review...without me sending the supplemental application fee! So I was wondering for the rest of you that got this email, do you just send them the money, or do you also have to send them an email explaining the situation?

OR can you get by without paying? XD