Shopping around for future retail jobs

Started by gaba101
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gaba101

Doctor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do you shop around for which retail companies (i.e. CVS, Target, Rite-Aid, etc) you would like to work for if you cannot intern at more than 1 retail pharmacy? (I currently already intern at a retail pharmacy). Just because you're satisifed with your current job doesn't mean there are not any other retail pharmacies that suit you better (and or in your opinion is worth more of your time). I currently work for Wal-mart and I enjoy my 10% discount (which is why I really want to have even a "relief Pharmacist" position at the bare minimum, if I decide not to become a pharmacist for them, with them to keep my discount). Good perks and I've heard the goods & bads of other pharmacies (in particular, Target) but I've always been interested in Target (not to mention I am really sick & tired of the hoards of poor people that come to Wal-mart to shop...Target isn't an expensive place to shop but I've always felt like it is a way more elegant place to shop in comparison to Wal-mart and hence has less customers w/ 5 kids hanging off of their shoulders & are piss-poor rude to you, THOUGH I KNOW EACH RETAIL PHARMACY HAS ITS OWN SHARE OF IMPATIENT/POOR/RUDE CUSTOMERS). I'm sick and tired of Wal-mart rarely giving me or my pharmacist any register codes to ring people up (when both the pharmacist & i are not at our home stores & therefore cannot use our own register codes) and i (a pharm D to be) gotta fight thru the hoards of people shopping at walmart & squeeze in between their shopping carts to flag down an assistant manager who probably only has a GED (yes, the holiday stress of being at Wal-mart is getting to me!)--hey, I don't mind not ringing people up b/c I didn't go to 4 yrs of hell to ring up your tropical flavored condoms but I gotta ring up your PSE & your $500 cymbaltas 'cuz I know you're gonna walk out of the store w/o paying for those $500 cymbaltas.

The way I see it is this--if I go to a store where pharmacy brings in > 50% of hte profit (i.e. Longs), the pros are that we will get more respect & have more leverage than the store manager but bringing in more than 50% of the profit means I also have to slave myself to death in the pharmacy. On the other hand, i really enjoy sitting on my ass at work and having those slow moments but still get paid to read my magazines (hence we bring in only 20% of the store's profits) but the price we pay for it is we don't have as much leverage (a PharmD has to zip thru the busy aisles of screaming kids & masses of shopping carts to flag down a GED-store-assistant manager b/c the manager would like to pretend he cannot hear the intercom paging for him) and you get the annoying customers that interrupt your pharmacists' duties (i.e. counting, verifying the prescription before it is given to the patient, counseling) every 5 minutes to ask you where the stupid razors are.

Bottom line--for hte most part, i am satisifed w/ my job (I get paid to sit on my ass!) but I want to see if there are other retail pharmaices (in particular Target b/c it is also slow but I've always loved the elegance of Target) may suit me better--how do I go about finding out without losing my current job? I would assume once I leave my current job to say explore another retail that there is no coming back? Would it be possible for me to request a DIFFERENT retail to do my rotations in when the time comes to do my rotations? (are interns allowed to intern--get paid--for one retail but do their rotations--non-paid--at a different retail pharmacy???)
PS--in my first year in working w/ Walmart, the clientele has for the most part been better than I thought retail would have (You've got your fair share of nice and rude people) but now that I am at a new store in a new area, well, let's just say the clientele here is on the lower end of the scale (linguistically & economically) and are ruder. Today was just a rough day at work =(
 
Yes you can work for one chain and do your free labor at another, at least at my school you can. I work for one evil chain but I have done rotations at a super slow grocery, a target, and the other evil chain. My school trys to put you at places you have never been.
 
Yes you can work for one chain and do your free labor at another, at least at my school you can. I work for one evil chain but I have done rotations at a super slow grocery, a target, and the other evil chain. My school trys to put you at places you have never been.

so pretty much my only option at the moment (in order to keep my current job) is to wait until rotations in 4th year, eh?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is an interesting post - I had an opportunity to shadow a Wal-Mart pharmacist fo 4 hours as part of an early practice class. Your post definitely points out some of the negatives I saw - I couldn't believe how loud the store was compared to my working conditions in CVS - all the constant loudspeaker announcements and the carts banging. The Wal-mart had just gotten a remodel to their new type where the front of the pharmacy is very open, and the pharmacist and tech were truly having to answer questions about where things were about every 2 minutes! I was very impressed with their computer system, and I like the fact that the pharmacist got to close for 30 minutes to eat his lunch, but I don't really think I would want to work in that environment for a real job.
 
This is an interesting post - I had an opportunity to shadow a Wal-Mart pharmacist fo 4 hours as part of an early practice class. Your post definitely points out some of the negatives I saw - I couldn't believe how loud the store was compared to my working conditions in CVS - all the constant loudspeaker announcements and the carts banging. The Wal-mart had just gotten a remodel to their new type where the front of the pharmacy is very open, and the pharmacist and tech were truly having to answer questions about where things were about every 2 minutes! I was very impressed with their computer system, and I like the fact that the pharmacist got to close for 30 minutes to eat his lunch, but I don't really think I would want to work in that environment for a real job.

actually we close for 1 hour for lunch and then some time later (like btw we come back from lunch and when we close for the evening) we shut down the entire pharmacy (as in lock it down) to take a 15 min break. wonderful computer system. yeah, there are some great perks of working for WM pharmacy but god, STOP ASKING ME WHERE THE F*CK XYZ ARE or even worse, COULD YOU SCAN THIS TO TELL ME HOW MUCH IT IS? 😡 i guess i'm so used to the loud announcements that i didn't nkow this was not the norm...another reason why I must try to work in other retails so i can use my own eyes & head to judge for myself.
 
so pretty much my only option at the moment (in order to keep my current job) is to wait until rotations in 4th year, eh?

man, that sucks that your school doesn't put you into other pharmacies till your 4th year. USN starts you week 1 or 2 in the pharmacy. year 1 you are at one pharmacy every other week for 8 hrs, then 6 weeks of 40 hours in the summer between P1 and P2 at another pharmacy, and then another year of the every other week 8 hours at another pharmacy. We also have an advanced community rotation our 3rd year.